Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Author Topic: ADMIN: What Would You Like to See from The Cauldron in 2014?  (Read 7571 times)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
ADMIN: What Would You Like to See from The Cauldron in 2014?
« on: January 01, 2014, 10:08:53 am »
Another year has arrived. What would you like to see The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum try to do in 2014 (new and different, just improved, etc.)? Why we can't promise to make any New Year's wishes for TC come true, we will look hard at them.

Note: Improvements/additions that cost money will probably not be possible unless someone is willing to donate the money, but don't let that stop you from "wishing" for them.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
ADMIN: What Would You Like to See from The Cauldron in 2014?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 02:23:36 pm »
One thing that comes to mind is an overarching resources folder.  We have a lot of fantastic resource lists, but most are in the SIGs.  And, judging from how many times we've had to point people to those lists, I wonder if it might be more efficient to collect them all in one very obvious and clearly labeled place.

I also think we should consider updating the Pagan Primer, the Teens & Paganism FAQ (maybe combine them?), and any other similar resources we have posted. At the very least, they should be checked for broken links.

Also, are we still using the intro boilerplate post the staff drafted a while back?  I know I used it several times when responding to posts asking for beginner info, but I'm not sure if we ever incorporated it into any kind of standard "welcome to TC" email or anything like that.  If not, maybe e should think about doing that.

I feel like I have another thought, but it's escaping me right now.  Maybe later...
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
Re: ADMIN: What Would You Like to See from The Cauldron in 2014?
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 02:56:13 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;134645
Another year has arrived. What would you like to see The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum try to do in 2014 (new and different, just improved, etc.)? Why we can't promise to make any New Year's wishes for TC come true, we will look hard at them...

I know I've mentioned this before, but I'd love to see some sort of "How Not to be an Asshat on The Cauldron" resource (sort of like a talk I once heard called "How Not to be a Douche on FetLife").  We have the rules which are very comprehensive, but sometimes a tip sheet can help people interpret and/or remember established guidelines.

I'd volunteer to work on it, if it gets the thumbs-up.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 03:35:39 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;134706

It sounds like a great idea to me!
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 05:44:45 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;134701
One thing that comes to mind is an overarching resources folder.  We have a lot of fantastic resource lists, but most are in the SIGs.  And, judging from how many times we've had to point people to those lists, I wonder if it might be more efficient to collect them all in one very obvious and clearly labeled place.

I also think we should consider updating the Pagan Primer, the Teens & Paganism FAQ (maybe combine them?), and any other similar resources we have posted. At the very least, they should be checked for broken links.

Also, are we still using the intro boilerplate post the staff drafted a while back?  I know I used it several times when responding to posts asking for beginner info, but I'm not sure if we ever incorporated it into any kind of standard "welcome to TC" email or anything like that.  If not, maybe e should think about doing that.

I feel like I have another thought, but it's escaping me right now.  Maybe later...

One thing I notice is that the Articles button we have on the forum doesn't have any of the previous articles written for TC, just the ones written by some members on this incarnation of the board. Is there a way to link the two? I wonder if that would help ease some confusion?

Another thing would be to have the Wiki button point to an actual "Wiki home page" rather than what it's pointing to right now. Although, I think I mentioned this in the past and there were issues with it? Did we need to come up with an actual home page to use, or would it not just link right?
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 06:13:38 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;134727
One thing I notice is that the Articles button we have on the forum doesn't have any of the previous articles written for TC, just the ones written by some members on this incarnation of the board. Is there a way to link the two?

Unfortunately not really. I could add article to the current board pointing to articles on the old board, but that's about all that could be done barring moving the articles from the old board to the new board, which would cause other issues (like they would all appear to be written by me).

Another thing would be to have the Wiki button point to an actual "Wiki home page" rather than what it's pointing to right now. Although, I think I mentioned this in the past and there were issues with it? Did we need to come up with an actual home page to use, or would it not just link right?

I believe I can make the button link to any page which means someone would have to come up with a good homepage.
Randall

Enid

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 09:21:20 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;134645
Another year has arrived. What would you like to see The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum try to do in 2014 (new and different, just improved, etc.)? .

I would love to see a Wicca SIG. I know a lot of folks are Wicca influenced here, but it would be cool to have a place to have more in depth discussions on ethics, theology, ect.
Crazy, Skeptic Pagan - Just a skeptical druid blogging about religion, mental illness, and whatever else triggers my fancy

The Little Rock Pagan Meetup - Come Meet Some Awesome Pagans!

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 09:52:02 pm »
Quote from: Enid;134754
I would love to see a Wicca SIG. I know a lot of folks are Wicca influenced here, but it would be cool to have a place to have more in depth discussions on ethics, theology, ect.

This has been brought up before and the consensus was that there are multiple reasons why a SIG dedicated to Wicca wouldn't really work as well as some of our other religious-themed SIGs.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Enid

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 10:18:08 pm »
Quote from: Melamphoros;134756
This has been brought up before and the consensus was that there are multiple reasons why a SIG dedicated to Wicca wouldn't really work as well as some of our other religious-themed SIGs.

Interesting.

I guess then my question is where is the best place to post threads about ethics? I'd love to say have some more philosophical discussion on the Wiccan Rede (what does it really mean? How do you make those choices?) but that kind of discussion could fit in multiple places, yet still not totally fit.
Crazy, Skeptic Pagan - Just a skeptical druid blogging about religion, mental illness, and whatever else triggers my fancy

The Little Rock Pagan Meetup - Come Meet Some Awesome Pagans!

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 11:29:56 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;134706
I know I've mentioned this before, but I'd love to see some sort of "How Not to be an Asshat on The Cauldron" resource (sort of like a talk I once heard called "How Not to be a Douche on FetLife").  We have the rules which are very comprehensive, but sometimes a tip sheet can help people interpret and/or remember established guidelines.

Funny, I've been having thoughts the last month or two about coming up with some kind of less-formal-than-the-rules TC Users' Guide, covering all sorts of things (from technical to board culture) that people often have difficulty with. I thought of Shad's post on thread necromancy and welcomes, and my supplement to it, as being one piece of it; another piece that I keep thinking of has to do with navigation, how to notice what forum you're in and why it's useful to do so.

I don't know if I'd be able to work intensively on this, since I've already got a few TC projects on the go or on hold (the pronoun writeup, first off; after that, I want to get the PoC SIG construction discussion restarted). But I'd like to at least feed my ideas into it (probably one or two at a time, as I remember them :)).

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 11:32:49 pm »
Quote from: Enid;134760
Interesting.

I guess then my question is where is the best place to post threads about ethics? I'd love to say have some more philosophical discussion on the Wiccan Rede (what does it really mean? How do you make those choices?) but that kind of discussion could fit in multiple places, yet still not totally fit.

'Philosophy and Metaphysics' would, IMO, be particularly suited to ethics discussions.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 12:14:48 am »
Quote from: RandallS;134731
Unfortunately not really. I could add article to the current board pointing to articles on the old board, but that's about all that could be done barring moving the articles from the old board to the new board, which would cause other issues (like they would all appear to be written by me).

I don't feel they need to be moved. I'd just like a more visible way to get to them - or at any rate, something that says there's there, and how to get to them. As it is, as far as I know, one has to go to the archive forum and use the 'Pagan Features' dropdown menu there - for which one has to know that it's there, which dropdown to use, and that 'Articles Library' there doesn't take you to the same place as the 'Articles' button in the menu bar here. So non-obvious as to be, dare I say, occult.

Sunflower

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 07:46:09 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;134769
As it is, as far as I know, one has to go to the archive forum and use the 'Pagan Features' dropdown menu there - for which one has to know that it's there, which dropdown to use, and that 'Articles Library' there doesn't take you to the same place as the 'Articles' button in the menu bar here. So non-obvious as to be, dare I say, occult.

Articles are in three places, unfortunately: Here in the board article area, on the previous board in its article area, and on the web site (from all the years when we were on Delphi or Beehive neither of which had an article area (and actually some of the web site articles are on ecauldron.com and some are on ecauldron.net). If someone was willing to pay me a living wage for 4 to 6 months of full time work, I could consolidate everything and even have the various areas of the web site under a single theme instead the current mix of there or four themes. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening so we end up living with what we have.
Randall

Fier

• Sr. Master Member
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pantheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 07:58:14 am »
Quote from: RandallS;134805
Articles are in three places, unfortunately:

Maybe someone could create a Wiki page that had a Table of Contents and links for all the off-board articles?

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 08:03:31 am »
Quote from: FierFlye;134807
Maybe someone could create a Wiki page that had a Table of Contents and links for all the off-board articles?

That could work, although it would not be in the article area of this board (if that matters).
Randall

Tags: