collapse

Author Topic: ADMIN: Cauldron Server Going Down For Server OS Upgrade (28 Jan 2013)  (Read 2337 times)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
I know this is short notice, but due to weather issues, the server TC (forum, MUX, web site, etc) uses will be down for much of today for a major server update (upgrading the OS from Ubuntu 10.04 LTS to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS). I had planned to do this later in the week, but weather and other scheduling issues have come up.

Updates will be available on our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/thecauldronforum

If it looks like it is take a very long time, I will also open the backup message board at: http://ecauldron.smfforfree4.com/index.php
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: ADMIN: Cauldron Server Going Down For Server OS Upgrade (28 Jan 2013)
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 11:22:51 am »
Quote from: RandallS;94030

If it looks like it is take a very long time, I will also open the backup message board at: http://ecauldron.smfforfree4.com/index.php

I can't believe it... I actually remembered the password I used there. *lol*
OK, I carried the camping stuff already there and started a camp fire. Just in case.
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 11:31:15 am »
Quote from: Tana;94032
I can't believe it... I actually remembered the password I used there. *lol*
OK, I carried the camping stuff already there and started a camp fire. Just in case.

Good idea. Thank you very much!
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs

PhantomQueen

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 02:20:08 pm »
I know this is short notice, but due to weather issues, the server TC (forum, MUX, web site, etc) uses will be down for much of today for a major server update (upgrading the OS from Ubuntu 10.04 LTS to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS). I had planned to do this later in the week, but weather and other scheduling issues have come up.

Updates will be available on our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/thecauldronforum

Yay!  You're back :)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 02:24:15 pm »

There were problems with part of the upgrade: MySQL 5.5 would not start (after the upgrade from MySQL 5.1). After trying all the solutions fior this possible problem I had found with no success, I reverted to the backup copy of the server.

As there are still almost 2 years of security updates for our current server version, there is no immediate security reason to upgrade so we'll try again in a few months after I research this problem more since I now know that we are one of the relatively rare ones it will hit. :(

The purpose of the upgrade was to let us do some more spiffy things website and forum-wise. These will now be delayed, but since few people knew what was planned, no one will actually miss them.  As usual will will take while to get the Flash client for the MUX up.
Randall

Tags: