collapse
2020 Donation Drive IS NOW COMPLETE!

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise at least $710 to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 02 December 2020: $710 donated. Only $0 more needed! Thank you, donors!

Note: This total is updated manually, usually once a day

Author Topic: 2012 Suggestion Drive  (Read 2464 times)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
2012 Suggestion Drive
« on: August 26, 2012, 11:09:57 am »
It's also time for our annual "suggestion drive" when we open a topic and request your suggestions for how TC (the forum, the web site, the MUX, forum rules, etc.) could be improved. We make no promises to implement suggestions, but the Hosts and staff do look at and consider them all. (And have implemented a number of suggestions over the years).

Two items are completely off the table, however:

1) Eliminating/weakening our quoting rules. (The Hosts will shut down the board first -- seriously, having quoting with the backlinks to the quoted message is that important.)

2) Turning the board away from its "Discussion and Debate" orientation or its "non-beginner" orientation.

Post your suggestions here. The hosts and staff will read and consider them all -- even if we do not reply to your suggestion specifically.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 01:47:31 pm by RandallS »
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 Suggestion Drive
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 11:35:29 am »
Quote from: RandallS;70736
It's also time for our annual "suggestion drive" when we open a topic and request your suggestions for how TC (the forum, the web site, the MUX, forum rules, etc.) could be improved. We make no promises to implement suggestions, but the Hosts and staff do look at and consider them all. (And have implemented a number of suggestions over the years).

Four items are completely off the table, however:

1) Eliminating/weakening our quoting rules. (The Hosts will shut down the board first -- seriously, having quoting with the backlinks to the quoted message is that important.)

2) Turning the board away from its "Discussion and Debate" orientation or its "non-beginner" orientation.

Post your suggestions here. The hosts and staff will read and consider them all -- even if we do not reply to your suggestion specifically.

Bolding mine -- Randall, I think this may be either a typo or you forgot to add two more things that are off the table;)

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 01:48:09 pm »
Quote from: Melamphoros;70740
Bolding mine -- Randall, I think this may be either a typo or you forgot to add two more things that are off the table;)

Fixed it.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs

wadjet

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://eirikra.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 02:12:37 pm »

I would love to see the Wiki given more direction/structure, which would encourage more editing and use.

I was thinking of mentioning it, actually, but I'm not exactly sure what the best purpose for the Wiki would be, or if you guys already have a goal in mind or anything. (You know, is it to cover basic common topics? Lists of references? Just original content?)

I worked for a number of years as a SysOp on a very active Wiki, so I'd be happy to help out with a Wiki project if there was one. (As opposed to me just suggesting it and expecting it to happen, heh.)

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 06:55:04 pm »
Quote from: Melamphoros;70740

It's because both of those things are so not on the table, they're not on the table twice:p.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Bitter Clinger. Sith Lord.
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 07:24:00 pm »

Even if these were on the table I wouldn't suggest changing them.  
Quote continuity is so important (just try following a thread on Yahoo or FB) that I'm surprised other boards don't require it.  
And I like that this board is not for the thin-skinned.  With that said, why is there an 'ignore' feature?
Oh, is it time again to say "Fuck Trump gently in the ear with a swarm of pissed-off hornets?"?

Okay. Fuck Trump gently in the ear with a swarm of pissed-off hornets.

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 08:38:16 pm »
Quote from: MadZealot;70812
Even if these were on the table I wouldn't suggest changing them.  
Quote continuity is so important (just try following a thread on Yahoo or FB) that I'm surprised other boards don't require it.  
And I like that this board is not for the thin-skinned.  With that said, why is there an 'ignore' feature?

Ignore is WAY better than completely losing one's temper and going batshit on someone - and believe me, it would happen.

STAFF cannot be ignored, I believe - pretty sure that's true on this board.  (after a while I get the different incarnations confused!).  But let's say Fred drives you crazy.  If Fred said the sky was blue you'd want to argue because you just CAN'T STAND FRED.  .... far FAR better to ignore, no?

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 09:55:22 pm »
Quote from: HeartShadow;70817
STAFF cannot be ignored, I believe - pretty sure that's true on this board.  (after a while I get the different incarnations confused!).

No, staff members cannot be put on ignore. However, it's a good feature for when there is someone who merely reading their posts drives you crazy.
Randall

drekfletch

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Polytheist. Hellenic-ish
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 12:52:50 am »
Quote from: RandallS;70831
No, staff members cannot be put on ignore. However, it's a good feature for when there is someone who merely reading their posts drives you crazy.

Which is another way the quote rule comes in handy.  I've followed the track of a thread by reading replies to the ignored person.  Very handy; I only have to read offending sections once.
Poor mods who don't get the luxury of ignoring people.
There is no inherent meaning to life.  Stop looking and give your life meaning.
------------------------------------------
Chapter 91 of The Order War by L.E.Modesitt jr.  If I could quote the entire thing I would.

drekfletch

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Polytheist. Hellenic-ish
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 01:00:17 am »

I'd like hardcopy on mod contact preferences.  If there was a page detailing email or pm, it would make it easier.  Do you still have folder specialties you could include?  I think that was here.
There is no inherent meaning to life.  Stop looking and give your life meaning.
------------------------------------------
Chapter 91 of The Order War by L.E.Modesitt jr.  If I could quote the entire thing I would.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 08:24:57 am »
Quote from: drekfletch;71081
I'd like hardcopy on mod contact preferences.  If there was a page detailing email or pm, it would make it easier.

This is a good idea. I'll see what we can do.
Randall

PetitAlbert

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 04:54:08 pm »
Quote from: wadjet;70777
I would love to see the Wiki given more direction/structure, which would encourage more editing and use.

I was thinking of mentioning it, actually, but I'm not exactly sure what the best purpose for the Wiki would be, or if you guys already have a goal in mind or anything. (You know, is it to cover basic common topics? Lists of references? Just original content?)

I worked for a number of years as a SysOp on a very active Wiki, so I'd be happy to help out with a Wiki project if there was one. (As opposed to me just suggesting it and expecting it to happen, heh.)

I second this. I've done a bit of wiki work, but I'd love to see a working group set up to create an action plan and give it some structure. Cauldron members have so much good information and practical wisdom, it'd be great if we could collaborate on writing some of our best insights down there.
"We all have something to learn, and something to teach."
30 Days of Magic: take the challenge now!

Petit Albert: This witch\'s blog
Book of Protective Magic by Albert - free 20 page bookzine download

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 05:30:53 pm »
Quote from: Unmutual;71173
I second this.

Thirded.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 10:04:39 am »
Quote from: wadjet;70777

I haven't been ignoring this so much as trying to find an inoffensive way so say what amounts to "I used to really try to get people to use a Wiki, but like trying to get lots of articles for our newsletter and web site, I've pretty much given up due to lack of interest."

The current wiki (which runs as part of our board software) is not our first attempt at one. I believe I started trying to generate interest in a wiki around 2004 and we have tried to set one up a number of times. There is some initial interest, but once the wiki is set up, interest seems to die.  The current wiki was set up mainly because it provided "web pages" for social groups -- wiki pages that could be created and maintained by anyone creating a social group and the members of that social group (if they wanted to). As with every other wiki or other members can directly create content feature we've tried (e.g. the Articles section of our SMF and this vbulletin board), members just don't use them much. Member-created content is popular on Witchvox and lots of other places, but never seems to have caught on here. I used to really try, but now I'm happy if i can just get enough content to do a newsletter.

I'm all for this. Perhaps someone else will have better luck that I and other staff members have had.

Quote from: Unmutual
I second this. I've done a bit of wiki work, but I'd love to see a  working group set up to create an action plan and give it some  structure. Cauldron members have so much good information and practical  wisdom, it'd be great if we could collaborate on writing some of our  best insights down there.

That's two people interested. Anyone else? I'd be happy to provide space for a working group. :)
Randall

dragonfaerie

• Master Member
  • Priestess of Caffeina
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Wicca & Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 05:45:46 am »
Quote from: RandallS;72123
That's two people interested. Anyone else? I'd be happy to provide space for a working group. :)

Me too. I have no idea how to code a wiki, but I have lots of content I could provide.

Also, a suggestion... the newsletter needs published deadlines. Because again, I have content I can offer, but if you don't give me a due-date I can put in my calendar in blood-red ink, you're just never going to get it. I procrastinate too much on self-imposed deadlines.

Karen

Tags: