Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Books: What Are You Reading Now?  (Read 100002 times)

Donal2018

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Universalist
Re: What Are You Reading Now?
« Reply #795 on: January 05, 2019, 03:16:17 pm »
Me too!

For Christmas, though, I was given: Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman so will be starting that soon.

Still about halfway through Hogfather as I write (and haven't made any more progress on Burning Woman as have been off work so not taking the train & doing that stretch of reading for the past couple of weeks).

Have not read much Fiction in a while. I perused my old copy of "Lord of the Rings" a few weeks ago. I mainly read Non-Fiction. I am looking at a book that I have read before- "The Geography of Nowhere", by James Howard Kuntsler. It is basically a criticism of the construction of suburbia. It is a good read if you are interested in Urban Planning and Related Stuff.

MamaThistle

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Religious witchcraft/Gaelic polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #796 on: January 05, 2019, 03:34:54 pm »
Have not read much Fiction in a while. I perused my old copy of "Lord of the Rings" a few weeks ago. I mainly read Non-Fiction. I am looking at a book that I have read before- "The Geography of Nowhere", by James Howard Kuntsler. It is basically a criticism of the construction of suburbia. It is a good read if you are interested in Urban Planning and Related Stuff.

LOTR is one of my all time favorites, I reread it around September. I usually read more non-fiction too but I got really into YA fantasy this past year. I am currently reading Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo. I read the Shadow and Bone series by the same author over the summer.
"Think like a wise man but communicate in the language of the people."

- W.B. Yeats

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #797 on: January 05, 2019, 05:17:01 pm »
I got really into YA fantasy this past year.

YA = young adult?
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

MamaThistle

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Religious witchcraft/Gaelic polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #798 on: January 05, 2019, 06:55:30 pm »
"Think like a wise man but communicate in the language of the people."

- W.B. Yeats

Donal2018

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Universalist
« Reply #799 on: July 12, 2019, 05:22:51 pm »

Again, more Nonfiction. I am reading a book on Self Publishing. I have a few writing projects and might want to publish them as e-books if I ever finish them.

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Christo-Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #800 on: July 12, 2019, 06:18:10 pm »
Again, more Nonfiction. I am reading a book on Self Publishing. I have a few writing projects and might want to publish them as e-books if I ever finish them.

I just finished a book on epistemological and moral nihilism, Nothing & Everything, by Val N. Tine.  It's not a long or difficult read, but I plan on reading it again to absorb the arguments.  It refers to the quote that also appears in the Principia Discordia, "Nothing is True. Everything is Permitted."
My personal moral code:

Love wisely, and do what thou wilt.

TsundokuTeaTime

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Left Hand Path with a dash of Polytheism
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her they/them
« Reply #801 on: July 13, 2019, 05:16:21 pm »
I just finished a book on epistemological and moral nihilism, Nothing & Everything, by Val N. Tine.  It's not a long or difficult read, but I plan on reading it again to absorb the arguments.  It refers to the quote that also appears in the Principia Discordia, "Nothing is True. Everything is Permitted."

Have been reading Projection and Re-collection in Jungian Psychology: Reflections of the Soul by Marie-Louise von Franz. Picked up some of her other books on psychological interpretations of mythology and fairy tales, look forward to reading those.

While I do find the author's style and observations interesting, it can be kind of clunky to get through sometimes. Find that I need to take a break with something less esoteric.
“It is not necessary for the public to know whether I am joking or whether I am serious, just as it is not necessary for me to know it myself." ~Salvador Dali

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Christo-Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #802 on: July 13, 2019, 05:41:37 pm »
Have been reading Projection and Re-collection in Jungian Psychology: Reflections of the Soul by Marie-Louise von Franz. Picked up some of her other books on psychological interpretations of mythology and fairy tales, look forward to reading those.

While I do find the author's style and observations interesting, it can be kind of clunky to get through sometimes. Find that I need to take a break with something less esoteric.

I'm also reading Neurobiology of the Gods, by Erik D. Goodwyn, and it can be quite esoteric as well.  There were some cross cultural comparisons I doubted, but overall I find it a useful framework for various reported experiences.
My personal moral code:

Love wisely, and do what thou wilt.

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
« Reply #803 on: February 08, 2020, 06:09:25 am »
Because someone had to restart this thread after the move.  What are you reading, how is it, and would you recommend it?

I purchased a Great Books course from The Great Courses: Books That Have Made History: Books That Can Change Your Life (Yes, I got it on sale!) So to prepare for the first lecture, I'm reading Dietrich Bonhoeffer; Letters and Papers from Prison (borrowed from the Internet Archive).
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 06:11:43 am by ehbowen »
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

Caleb Oak

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: Male
« Reply #804 on: February 08, 2020, 08:07:50 am »
Because someone had to restart this thread after the move.  What are you reading, how is it, and would you recommend it?
Astral Dynamics, for free. 😈😎

http://www.glidewing.com/pdf/astraldynamics.pdf

It is pretty good, though I knew most of it from my old teacher as a teen, and I am quite good at it.
Especially astral manifestation, energy manipulation/sensing/shielding.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #805 on: February 08, 2020, 12:12:57 pm »
Astral Dynamics, for free. 😈😎

http://www.glidewing.com/pdf/astraldynamics.pdf

It is pretty good, though I knew most of it from my old teacher as a teen, and I am quite good at it.
Especially astral manifestation, energy manipulation/sensing/shielding.

That looks interesting (totally snagged it to put in my 'to read' file on my computer...which is ridiculously large already!)

I set myself the goal of reading some bit of non-fiction every day this year, plus actually reading one full non-fiction book every month (and I figure I'll just fill the gaps with other books inbetween).

So, right now I'm reading "You matter more than you think," by Dr. Leslie Parrott....and it's become a bit of a spite read.  There is one tiny reference on the back cover that she is a Christian author (it's in the "other books by" and only one of them mentions God), but the actual book has a serious Christian lean and I just find the author annoying.  But, I'm sort of stubborn and I told myself I'd read it, so I am going to.  There are little journal questions at the end of each chapter, which are actually decent, so even if the chapter was sort of preachy (and whiny, wow she is a whiny person), I'm at least writing a little at the end of each chapter (the chapters are tiny, so I've been reading one a day, like three to five pages)

I am also reading "Baldur's Magic" by Nicholas E. Brink, which I had started ages ago, and then it got put on a shelf and I forgot about it.  I picked it up after finishing January's book early, and it's...weird.  It's become my bathroom book (I keep one in there, try to pick one with short chapters, and this one has a lot of UPG stories that are only a couple of pages long, so it works).  This author is very biased against the Aesir, which is really weird to read (he pretty much portrays them, and Vikings as dumb, glory hound warriors who just beat people up and take their stuff for no reason).  And for all he is pro-Vanir and almost pro-women, he also implies that women of the time were just too dumb to resist being cast into the role of sex-slaves.  The book does have some interesting takes on some of the Norse myths, and it works on filling in the gaps in some of the stories (or exploring more about things that are just mentioned in the myths), and that is interesting, so I'm sort of pretending it's fiction now.

I really don't know what is up with my book picking lately....hopefully my next book pick will be better!
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Caleb Oak

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: Male
« Reply #806 on: February 08, 2020, 01:44:54 pm »
That looks interesting (totally snagged it to put in my 'to read' file on my computer...which is ridiculously large already!)

I set myself the goal of reading some bit of non-fiction every day this year, plus actually reading one full non-fiction book every month (and I figure I'll just fill the gaps with other books inbetween).

So, right now I'm reading "You matter more than you think," by Dr. Leslie Parrott....and it's become a bit of a spite read.  There is one tiny reference on the back cover that she is a Christian author (it's in the "other books by" and only one of them mentions God), but the actual book has a serious Christian lean and I just find the author annoying.  But, I'm sort of stubborn and I told myself I'd read it, so I am going to.  There are little journal questions at the end of each chapter, which are actually decent, so even if the chapter was sort of preachy (and whiny, wow she is a whiny person), I'm at least writing a little at the end of each chapter (the chapters are tiny, so I've been reading one a day, like three to five pages)

I am also reading "Baldur's Magic" by Nicholas E. Brink, which I had started ages ago, and then it got put on a shelf and I forgot about it.  I picked it up after finishing January's book early, and it's...weird.  It's become my bathroom book (I keep one in there, try to pick one with short chapters, and this one has a lot of UPG stories that are only a couple of pages long, so it works).  This author is very biased against the Aesir, which is really weird to read (he pretty much portrays them, and Vikings as dumb, glory hound warriors who just beat people up and take their stuff for no reason).  And for all he is pro-Vanir and almost pro-women, he also implies that women of the time were just too dumb to resist being cast into the role of sex-slaves.  The book does have some interesting takes on some of the Norse myths, and it works on filling in the gaps in some of the stories (or exploring more about things that are just mentioned in the myths), and that is interesting, so I'm sort of pretending it's fiction now.

I really don't know what is up with my book picking lately....hopefully my next book pick will be better!
I know the feeling, every time I read the word Goddess I just throw it out, I do not even believe in yin and yang.
At least, not for myself, energy wise that is, not talking hormones etc.  8)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 01:48:07 pm by Caleb Oak »

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #807 on: February 08, 2020, 05:09:05 pm »

Good luck!

I just started The Awen Alone by Joanne Van Der Hoeven, as Google gave me £3.00 credit toward a book over £3.00 (and it was £3.93) - cheers, Google.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #808 on: February 09, 2020, 03:37:04 pm »
Good luck!

I just started The Awen Alone by Joanne Van Der Hoeven, as Google gave me £3.00 credit toward a book over £3.00 (and it was £3.93) - cheers, Google.

I read that one, I enjoyed it!
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #809 on: February 10, 2020, 10:53:07 pm »
I read that one, I enjoyed it!

I'm reading The Tommyknockers. Basically a metaphor for addiction disguised as a B-grade scifi pulp story. Great fun.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Tags: