collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Books: What Are You Reading Now?  (Read 51174 times)

milkeyedmender

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan. kitchen witch.
Re: What Are You Reading Now?
« Reply #765 on: July 20, 2017, 06:06:13 pm »

Reading some articles at the site www.atlasobscura.com/places/

For fun: reading book one of outlander
and currently have an alice hoffman book (illumination night) started
as well as midway through book 7 of the wicked witches of the midwest series.

For fun and learning:  Nourishing Traditions Cookbook
The cauldron -zine by milla prince and contributors
Witches, Midwives, and Nurses: A history of women healers

I didn't realize I had that many going... :o

TheGreenWizard

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #766 on: January 20, 2018, 03:54:41 pm »
Because someone had to restart this thread after the move.  What are you reading, how is it, and would you recommend it?
The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman.

I read it back in High school or college and decided to reread it after a trivia night. And God I forgot how good it is.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go

Altair

• Adept Member
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
« Reply #767 on: January 23, 2018, 09:37:59 pm »
The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman.

The Kybalion, by "The Three Initiates" (a.k.a. William Walker Atkinson). Just starting.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Waldhexe

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #768 on: January 24, 2018, 03:44:22 am »
The Kybalion, by "The Three Initiates" (a.k.a. William Walker Atkinson). Just starting.
I just finished listening to the "History of Bees" as audio book and want to start reading the next Iron Druid book (I think the title is "Staked").

I also ordered a new audio book: "The Dark is Rising" by Susan Cooper

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
« Reply #769 on: January 26, 2018, 10:29:42 am »

I forgot about this! I should have listed it in another post. I'm currently reading Tending Brigid's Flame by Lunaea Weatherstone. I felt like I needed to read something Brighid-related for the Imbolc season.
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

Cinder

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: January 26, 2018, 11:10:42 am »
Because someone had to restart this thread after the move.  What are you reading, how is it, and would you recommend it?

• Sobek of Shedet: The crocodile god in the Fayyum in the Dynastic Period, by Marcho Zecchi. It's had some really interesting nuggets of wisdom, though I find some of it tedious to read through. I'd recommend it for anyone interested in Sobek, especially as He's related to Heru (more Heru-sa-Aset but also Heru-wer at Kom Ombo) and Osiris.
  • The Subversive Stitch: Embroidery and the Making of the Feminine, by Rozsika Parker. It's clearly and concisely written, and is surprisingly interesting and fun to read. It's been really intriguing to me to learn more about the history of embroidery. I'd recommend it.

mona lizard

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan, worships coincidence
  • Preferred Pronouns: she or he
« Reply #771 on: January 27, 2018, 03:27:17 am »
  • Sobek of Shedet: The crocodile god in the Fayyum in the Dynastic Period, by Marcho Zecchi. It's had some really interesting nuggets of wisdom, though I find some of it tedious to read through. I'd recommend it for anyone interested in Sobek, especially as He's related to Heru (more Heru-sa-Aset but also Heru-wer at Kom Ombo) and Osiris.
  • The Subversive Stitch: Embroidery and the Making of the Feminine, by Rozsika Parker. It's clearly and concisely written, and is surprisingly interesting and fun to read. It's been really intriguing to me to learn more about the history of embroidery. I'd recommend it.

I'll look into the Subversive Stitch it sounds like something I would like!

I almost finished reading The Castle of Crossed destinies by Italo Calvino. It's experimental writing from the 70s, a very short book where the author lays tarot cards on a table, comes up with a short story about those cards, then adds cards, comes up with another story depending on how the new cards affects the others... He's an experimental writer and not a tarot expert so he has a kind of naïve ways of interpreting the cards which is really interesting to observe. The writing itself is very enjoyable to me, but it's european experimental literature (originally written in both french and italian by the bilingual author) and I don't know if it translates well. Every review from an american i've seen on goodreads is like "love the concept and the view on tarot but the writing style and the stories are uninteresting and weird"!

Even if you will either love or hate the stories I would recommend it for people looking for a fresh, fun and experimental take on tarot!
- 20 year old artist from France, childlike wonder! -

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #772 on: January 29, 2018, 01:42:51 am »

Thanks to my sister, who gathered secondhand copies of the full set as my (belated) Christmas present, I am not going to be the last person in the world to read the Harry Potter books. (I know I'm not already the last, because Mom hasn't read it :D.) I'm enjoying it so far - particularly, I'm getting a kick out of places where some or another detail that I'd been inevitably 'spoilered' about that comes up much later is already being set up in the first book.

At this point in time, over two decades after the first book was published, my recommendation or lack thereof seems redundant ;D.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: January 29, 2018, 03:26:44 am »
Thanks to my sister, who gathered secondhand copies of the full set as my (belated) Christmas present, I am not going to be the last person in the world to read the Harry Potter books. (I know I'm not already the last, because Mom hasn't read it :D.) I'm enjoying it so far - particularly, I'm getting a kick out of places where some or another detail that I'd been inevitably 'spoilered' about that comes up much later is already being set up in the first book.

At this point in time, over two decades after the first book was published, my recommendation or lack thereof seems redundant ;D.

Sunflower
For learning:
Jailbreaking the Goddess by Lasara Firefox Allen. It's very, very good. I actually got it from interlibrary loan a year or so ago and never actually read it. I own it now so I feel obligated.

For fun:
I'm trying to read more fiction, so I bought The Summer Tree by Guy Gavriel Kay. It's fantasy. I haven't decided if I like it or not yet.

Lizardman by Lyle Blackburn. He's a cryptozoology writer who takes a folkloric approach instead of a scientific one and is really an engaging author. I read The Beast of Boggy Creek first and both are a lot of fun.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
« Reply #774 on: January 29, 2018, 05:03:54 am »

Currently "A Celtic Feast: The Iron Age Cauldrons from Chiseldon, Wiltshire".  I'm thoroughly enjoying it but it's really only for those who are seriously into  iron age cauldrons.

As a break from the cauldrons I've finally discovered Lee Childs and am happily reading my way through the Jack Reacher series.

LadyBug

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Lost/Searching
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #775 on: September 11, 2018, 08:58:28 am »
Currently "A Celtic Feast: The Iron Age Cauldrons from Chiseldon, Wiltshire".  I'm thoroughly enjoying it but it's really only for those who are seriously into  iron age cauldrons.

As a break from the cauldrons I've finally discovered Lee Childs and am happily reading my way through the Jack Reacher series.

Stephen King's Bag of Bones. Probably not a great idea to read it at work but I enjoy torturing myself with the inconsistencies between Book and Movie.

I did just finish the Red Rising Trilogy though (the author escapes me) and it was phenomenal. 25/10 do recommend.

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • ( Formerly known as EDF.)
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hindu with Christian and Pop-Culture Elements
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #776 on: September 14, 2018, 11:46:32 pm »
What are you reading, how is it, and would you recommend it?

I'm reading "The early christian centuries" by Philip Rousseau. It's dry, needlessly wordy, occasionally preachy, and uses more Jargon than a legal document.

It's also the best book available for factual and (mostly) impartial information about the movements and events of the early history of Christianity. If that's a subject that interests you, I recommend the book, but otherwise it's hardly a light or pleasant book to read.
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
  • Religion: Dionysian pop culture paganism and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
« Reply #777 on: September 15, 2018, 11:32:55 am »
What are you reading, how is it, and would you recommend it?

I've been trying to get back to reading, and in a maudlin fit I decided to attempt something super depressing that I've been meaning to read for a while.

I'm a little over halfway through And the Band Played On: Politics, People, and the AIDS Epidemic, by Randy Shilts. It's extremely absorbing and generally well-written, with great depth of research and an engaging style. It's also probably the most depressing book I've ever read. When my Kindle marked me at 45% of the way through, I decided that this is where I'd drop it for being too bleak if it were fiction.

If you're up to that kind of distress, I would certainly recommend the book. It's slightly dated in some of its information (and I plan to read at least one more recent book on the subject afterwards), but that doesn't change the fact that it's got a lot of really important research about a relatively recent tragedy presented very accessibly.
"The peacock can show its whole tail at once, but I can only tell you a story."
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: September 17, 2018, 06:48:37 pm »

I spent the last week re-reading the entire Girl Genius archive. I don't think the second arc, currently ongoing, quite lives up to the first, though that might just be familiarity with the early parts talking.

TheGreenWizard

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #779 on: September 17, 2018, 07:56:42 pm »
I spent the last week re-reading the entire Girl Genius archive. I don't think the second arc, currently ongoing, quite lives up to the first, though that might just be familiarity with the early parts talking.

I <3 the Girl Genius!!!

Currently not reading anything - trying to find my damn Dionysos book that I was studying for some time now. ugh.
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go

Tags: