collapse

Author Topic: Books: The Fox & The Life and Death of a Druid Prince  (Read 2841 times)

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
The Fox & The Life and Death of a Druid Prince
« on: July 22, 2013, 12:42:36 pm »
While I was on vacation I picked up a free ebook just so I'd have something to do during the 24 hour transit period. So long story short, this is one of the best books I've read in the last few years and since it's currently free in kindle/cloud device platform, I really recommend it if you're looking for some Druid/Celtic lore based reading.

It's fiction, but it's heavily based on an archaeological find of a druid sacrifice in that island we now call the United Kingdom. The archaeological musings are in another book I picked up for about $1.50 + shipping, so if you're interested I'll link that too.

I thought I had turned away from the Celtic studies and lore, but now I'm right back in it again. Go figure. o.0

http://www.amazon.com/The-Fox-ebook/dp/B001OC5KS0

http://www.amazon.com/Life-Death-Druid-Prince-Anne/dp/0671741225/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1374511329&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=life+and+death+of+a+druid+prince
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 11:36:25 am by RandallS »

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 01:08:37 pm »
Quote from: Laveth;116407
While I was on vacation I picked up a free ebook just so I'd have something to do during the 24 hour transit period. So long story short, this is one of the best books I've read in the last few years and since it's currently free in kindle/cloud device platform, I really recommend it if you're looking for some Druid/Celtic lore based reading.

Thanks for the recommendation.  Gotta love those free Kindle books!  I've discovered that reading on my phone actually works better for me and my brain issues than reading on paper.  I think it has to do with the constant physical action of turning the page -- helps keep my brain focused on what I'm doing.  Or something...

Anyway...

I've read several articles about this archeological find, and I think it's fascinating. So a fictional account sounds like a fun read.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: The Fox & The Life and Death of a Druid Prince
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 01:46:07 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;116412
Thanks for the recommendation.  Gotta love those free Kindle books!  I've discovered that reading on my phone actually works better for me and my brain issues than reading on paper.  I think it has to do with the constant physical action of turning the page -- helps keep my brain focused on what I'm doing.  Or something...

Anyway...

I've read several articles about this archeological find, and I think it's fascinating. So a fictional account sounds like a fun read.

Hrm never heard of kindle/phone reading being easier than a book, usually it's the other way around... but it makes sense. ^^ Learn new things every day!

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 02:00:16 pm »
Quote from: Laveth;116416
Hrm never heard of kindle/phone reading being easier than a book, usually it's the other way around... but it makes sense. ^^ Learn new things every day!

Well, I have reading issues that stem from a traumatic brain injury several years ago, so...

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 02:32:07 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;116419
Well, I have reading issues that stem from a traumatic brain injury several years ago, so...

Yikes. >.>

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 02:59:36 pm »
Quote from: Laveth;116424
Yikes. >.>

Yeah. Totally changed my life. I couldn't read more than a short paragraph at a time for years. It's getting better, but it's taken a lot of work. I can read relatively easy fiction now, but still can't read much non-fiction.  This (plus the migraines) is why I can't work.

So, I'm trying various techniques to improve my reading, and discovered that reading on my phone, with its smaller-than-an-e-reader screen so I have to turn the page every minute or so, actually helps.  I'm hoping to get a Kindle Fire soon, to try Amazon's immersion reading thing. I think that might help a lot.

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 03:06:14 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;116425
Yeah. Totally changed my life. I couldn't read more than a short paragraph at a time for years. It's getting better, but it's taken a lot of work. I can read relatively easy fiction now, but still can't read much non-fiction.  This (plus the migraines) is why I can't work.

So, I'm trying various techniques to improve my reading, and discovered that reading on my phone, with its smaller-than-an-e-reader screen so I have to turn the page every minute or so, actually helps.  I'm hoping to get a Kindle Fire soon, to try Amazon's immersion reading thing. I think that might help a lot.

For the record, I love my kindle fire. ^^

The brain is such a fickle thing, but it seems like you're healing on some level. :)

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 04:41:15 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;116425

I love the immersion reading, I can be reading along then swap to the audible audiobook and do dishes then go back to reading without missing anything.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 08:31:18 pm »
Quote from: Asch;116752
I love the immersion reading, I can be reading along then swap to the audible audiobook and do dishes then go back to reading without missing anything.

Are you using Amazon's system with the Kindle Fire?

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 08:47:40 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;116829
Are you using Amazon's system with the Kindle Fire?

Yep. The Fire uses the immersion reading which pairs it with a professionally narrated audiobook from Audible.com. If you have an e-ink Kindle you can use Text to Speech which is a robot voice instead but you don't need to purchase an audiobook.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 09:51:42 pm »
Quote from: Asch;116832
Yep. The Fire uses the immersion reading which pairs it with a professionally narrated audiobook from Audible.com. If you have an e-ink Kindle you can use Text to Speech which is a robot voice instead but you don't need to purchase an audiobook.

Yeah, I've tried the robot voice. Hated it.  ;)

I'm hoping for a Fire for Christmas.  :cool:

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 11:34:16 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;116838
Yeah, I've tried the robot voice. Hated it.  ;)

I'm hoping for a Fire for Christmas.  :cool:

I love mine esp since I have Prime and decent home wifi so I can watch prime shows / movies while puttering around hte house.

Tags: