collapse

Author Topic: Books: Book Review – Apocalyptic Witchcraft by Peter Grey  (Read 1462 times)

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • Religion: Norse/Germanic Polytheists
Book Review – Apocalyptic Witchcraft by Peter Grey
« on: September 23, 2013, 11:24:28 am »
I have put off doing this review unlike other books I have read as it’s a very well written, almost scholarly book and I am feel compared to some reviews mine would seem very unintellectual. I am going to go ahead and do it anyway since this is a powerful, necessary book and I think people should be aware of it.

This is not a how to book by any means; it’s more of a philosophy book. Mr.  Grey explains his views on what principles define witchcraft; pagan images and symbols in the bible (specifically Revelations) and the importance of dreams/dream work, the Sabbath and the Wild Hunt. 

It was the reference to the Wild Hunt that first drew me to want to purchase the book. As a Heathen and witch this is an important part of belief system. Mr. Grey shows that this is a powerful rite in general and the significance it has to the dead and us. The images  of the Wild Hunt not just being a time of soul collection by the gods but a way to feeding the hungry souls was one of the most power things I have come across in my practice.  This same importance was given to the Sabbath or full moon rites of the witches gathering.

If you have any bible knowledge the application of demonizing, literally, of pagan practice and gods is very well done and puts many ideas and concepts that must have at some point been very important in the pagan and witch community into perspective.

The chapter on dreaming was also very significant. Of dreams being a world of their own and how again modern times have warped the way we should be seeing and viewing the symbols and themes in our dreams properly.

I sometimes feel like my practice is like a back pack, sometimes it feels too light, sometimes too heavy. This book put so much of what I was looking for or dealing with into perspective I feel like I am finally properly prepared to move forward in my craft.

There is so much contained in this book whether Wiccan, traditional, atheist or polytheist you will get something out of it and gain a better perspective on witchcraft in general. I recommend this book to any practioner the way I would Art of War to someone interested in military strategy.

I have already begun instituting things I have read into practice and focusing my time and effort on participating in the things he talks about in the book. I am glad for Scarlet Imprint for putting works like these out and giving us the opportunity to discover them.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 11:35:13 am by RandallS »

Tags: