collapse

Author Topic: Patricia Briggs' "Mercy Thompson" series  (Read 5433 times)

Aine Rayne

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Patricia Briggs' "Mercy Thompson" series
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 09:28:24 am »
Quote from: Kylara;50912
I love the Mercy books, they are one of my favorite series, and one that I reread on average once a year.  And I'll admit, I bought my first two at a used book store and was drawn to them by the title Blood bound (I enjoy vampire things) and then the cover art (Mainly her tattoos actually, though I do like them overall).  After having read the books, I will say that I don't think Mercy would actually walk around like that though!

What I love about Mercy is that she is very opinionated, but she isn't all powerful.  She makes mistakes, she deliberately does things she knows she will have to answer for later, and sometimes she is just completely outclassed and not thinking about winning but running away and surviving.

I also like the sister series Alpha and Omega.  Have read all the books in both (including the first Mercy graphic novel that hubby got me for Christmas a couple years back).

The only other book by her I have read is Dragon Bones (I have the sequel to it but can't bring myself to read it).  I was actually pretty disappointed, which has made me drag my heels on reading some of her other series'.  I think I just didn't like the main character at all.

I love the alpha and omega series too :)
Finding the Secret Places This is my new blog

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: Patricia Briggs' "Mercy Thompson" series
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 11:59:28 pm »
Quote from: Lokabrenna;50850
Also, I'm sure it's been said but WTF is up with those sexed-up covers? It's such a horrible trend in Urban Fantasy!

For that matter, in fantasy in general (and quite a few other genres as well).  As the saying goes, "Sex sells!" - but does it?  And to whom does it sell?

A writer friend of mine, who takes a good deal of interest in the workings of the publishing industry, was talking about this just the other day.  Apparently, when it comes to book covers, who sex sells to are the buyers for chain bookstores, which until quite recently has been a heavily (het) male-dominated field.  When buyers are choosing books in a genre that isn't one they're interested in, they're likely to choose for often-superficial reasons that have little to do with why readers of the genre choose books.  (This is also why, a decade or so ago, so many genre romances had bodice-ripper covers even if they weren't bodice-rippers.)

I can't cite any sources in support of this, but if people are interested, I can ask my friend to provide some.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Tags: