collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Grimoires To Die for!  (Read 2929 times)

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
Re: Grimoires To Die for!
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2020, 09:05:49 am »
I don't think I've posted the link to these British custom bookmakers before, but their work looks exquisite. With commensurate prices. A pagan can dream, can't they?

https://alexlibrisbookart.com

Absolutely gorgeous but I could never actually write in one!  I'll stick to my Leuchtturm 1997  notebooks when I want to be posh and my old freebies from investment seminars for scribbles.

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2020, 12:17:57 pm »
You're both bad influences.  I will not replace all of my blank books in one order. I will not.

I'm the absolute worst influence when it comes to things to write on and things to write with. Consider yourself warned.
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2020, 01:08:59 pm »
I'm the absolute worst influence when it comes to things to write on and things to write with. Consider yourself warned.

I’m partial to my current fountain pen, but I can always use ideas for things to write in.

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2020, 01:22:35 pm »
I don't think I've posted the link to these British custom bookmakers before, but their work looks exquisite. With commensurate prices. A pagan can dream, can't they?

I am... extremely amused that I actually could identify all the hieroglyphs on the 'blue Ouroboros' image and figured out what they were doing with them (they're imperfect as the classical elements, of course, but in a way that's moderately delightful).
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

sevensons

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2020, 02:31:06 pm »

https://alexlibrisbookart.com
Good find over indulge yourself.
Awaken myself alive and well loving to start learning today ahead a challenge set by the Gods. Haven't

Instagram stevejomac

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2020, 07:48:10 pm »
I've been doing calligraphy practice off and on and trying to train myself to write with my right hand as well.

I've been having some frustrations because it turns out that what I was taught as a child by a family friend which I always thought was calligraphy turns out to have been something else (which is odd because the lady was a calligraphy teacher - maybe she'd taught us something else because she'd thought we were too young to get proper calligraphy, I don't know).  I've been trying to unlearn this other thing (which is pretty enough) in order to learn proper calligraphy and I can't seem to manage it.

As for learning to write with one's non-dominant hand, I can't even imagine!

Oh and finally, I'm also in the 'too nice to write in' camp a lot of times and have a little stack of too nice notebooks (mostly gifts) which I never seem to use for anything.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2020, 06:25:54 pm »
it turns out that what I was taught as a child by a family friend which I always thought was calligraphy turns out to have been something else

Huh, I always thought 'calligraphy' referred to any kind of decorative or deliberately styled writing.

Or are you referring to the specific form which uses a flat pen nib held at an angle? I mean, there are a lot of books/kits available for it but I didn't think it was an exclusive term.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2020, 06:32:03 pm »
Huh, I always thought 'calligraphy' referred to any kind of decorative or deliberately styled writing.

Or are you referring to the specific form which uses a flat pen nib held at an angle? I mean, there are a lot of books/kits available for it but I didn't think it was an exclusive term.

Oh that's interesting, it may just be an aspect of the selection of YouTube tutorials I've been watching that's given me this impression.  I've sort of given up trying to change my style as it doesn't seem to be happening, and as mentioned the style I already know is pretty enough if a little bit hand-cramp generating.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Ashmire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic, featuring mainly East Asian and Egyptian plus pop-cultural influences
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2020, 07:12:53 pm »

Especially given that many styles use a brush and not a pen at all!

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2020, 10:42:30 pm »

Likewise, and I see that Wikipedia's article on the subject agrees with us.

It doesn't surprise me if there are people out there who - ignorant of its use in other contexts, but I'd have to rate that as wilful ignorance - suppose the term to refer only to one narrow bit of the field (presumably what's most commonly presented in books and kits), and who are only too ready to 'correct' others for using the term 'wrong'; some people appear to derive considerable gratification from that sort of thing.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2020, 06:24:05 pm »
Likewise, and I see that Wikipedia's article on the subject agrees with us.

It doesn't surprise me if there are people out there who - ignorant of its use in other contexts, but I'd have to rate that as wilful ignorance - suppose the term to refer only to one narrow bit of the field (presumably what's most commonly presented in books and kits), and who are only too ready to 'correct' others for using the term 'wrong'; some people appear to derive considerable gratification from that sort of thing.

Sunflower

Gaters gonna gate(keep)  :P I have a book on calligraphy around the world that discusses East Asian and Arabic calligraphy traditions, among others (though I admit I bought it mostly for the alphabet charts).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Tags: