collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Canada #3 best new future bad guy  (Read 3371 times)

sailor

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 1505
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Canada #3 best new future bad guy
« on: March 24, 2012, 06:48:15 am »
http://baen.com/february_contest_winner.asp

Recent Baen contest to decide who would make a good near future bad guy for writing.

Canada came in #3. I have no idea how it even got on the game field.  I can only think of one recent book that had Canada in it, and Canada's military died quickly there.

RandallS

  • Site Admin
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: NE Ohio
  • Posts: 10264
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 279
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Canada #3 best new future bad guy
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 08:27:53 am »
Quote from: sailor;47070
Recent Baen contest to decide who would make a good near future bad guy for writing.

Canada came in #3. I have no idea how it even got on the game field.  I can only think of one recent book that had Canada in it, and Canada's military died quickly there.

I have to wonder if Canada wasn't being picked because it would be something different. I can't think of many SF stories with Canada as a villain.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

mandrina

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 890
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Canada #3 best new future bad guy
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 08:29:25 am »
Quote from: sailor;47070
http://baen.com/february_contest_winner.asp

Recent Baen contest to decide who would make a good near future bad guy for writing.

Canada came in #3. I have no idea how it even got on the game field.  I can only think of one recent book that had Canada in it, and Canada's military died quickly there.

 
IT's those quiet small militaries you have to watch out for?

(i say this without knowing how big Canada's military is, but I can see people outside canada assuming it's small)
Katrina

"I have a bad feeling about this."  Every good guy in the Star Wars saga, and an occasional bad guy as well.

RandallS

  • Site Admin
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: NE Ohio
  • Posts: 10264
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 279
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Canada #3 best new future bad guy
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 08:39:25 am »
Quote from: mandrina;47086
IT's those quiet small militaries you have to watch out for?

(i say this without knowing how big Canada's military is, but I can see people outside canada assuming it's small)

I think its around the 75th largest in the world. Small, but perhaps relatively large for Canada's population. I'm not sure. It's quite capable, however.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Melamphoros

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 2744
  • Total likes: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Canada #3 best new future bad guy
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 08:53:43 am »
Quote from: RandallS;47084
I have to wonder if Canada wasn't being picked because it would be something different. I can't think of many SF stories with Canada as a villain.

 
Either that, or there is a firm belief out there that it's the nice ones you need to watch out for the most?  I mean, one would expect the US or China to be a bad guy but Canada?


Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

SunflowerP

  • Host
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: Calgary AB
  • Posts: 8887
  • Country: ca
  • Total likes: 374
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: Canada #3 best new future bad guy
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 09:10:53 am »
Quote from: RandallS;47091
I think its around the 75th largest in the world. Small, but perhaps relatively large for Canada's population. I'm not sure. It's quite capable, however.

 
Huh.  I could dig stuff out of my memory - maaaybe - but it'd be close to a quarter-century out of date.  It certainly used to be small, even by population; might be a bit bigger now.



Yep (you can do your own comparisons, if you want, but I see that the "classic" one - about the same per capita figures as Luxembourg - still applies).  Small but competent, that's us.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

mandrina

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 890
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Canada #3 best new future bad guy
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 12:19:51 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;47100
Huh.  I could dig stuff out of my memory - maaaybe - but it'd be close to a quarter-century out of date.  It certainly used to be small, even by population; might be a bit bigger now.



Yep (you can do your own comparisons, if you want, but I see that the "classic" one - about the same per capita figures as Luxembourg - still applies).  Small but competent, that's us.

Sunflower

 
perfect for a villan.  No one expects the Canadian military!
Katrina

"I have a bad feeling about this."  Every good guy in the Star Wars saga, and an occasional bad guy as well.

stephyjh

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 1597
  • Total likes: 2
    • View Profile
Canada #3 best new future bad guy
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 01:09:56 pm »
Quote from: mandrina;47125
perfect for a villan.  No one expects the Canadian military!

I read that comment, and my first thought was "nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition."
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

spoOk

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 411
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Canada #3 best new future bad guy
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 02:47:55 pm »
Quote from: stephyjh;47137
I read that comment, and my first thought was "nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition."

 
i think it's because lately alot of movies keep sending their escapees and post apocalypse zombie surviving heros to Canada to hide out.
because as the movies all say "there's nothing up there".
so maybe they are thinking eventually all those American zombie evading refugees are going to breed and then decide to go forth and take back the "'merkin home lands..."?
just a theory.
or maybe we will be the ad guys if we decide to stop sharing our resources?
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

Marilyn/Absentminded

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • *
  • Posts: 975
  • Total likes: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Canada #3 best new future bad guy
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 04:49:37 pm »
Quote from: spoOk;47147

or maybe we will be the ad guys if we decide to stop sharing our resources?

 

Maybe they finally figured out the 'radio-controlled nuclear beaver' plot?  If so, time to send out the signals.

Absent
I smile when I\'m angry.  I cheat and I lie
I do what I have to do to get by
But I know what is wrong, and I know what is right
And I die for the truth in my secret life

   In My Secret Life, L. Cohen

spoOk

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 411
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Canada #3 best new future bad guy
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 04:59:04 pm »
Quote from: Marilyn/Absentminded;47163
Maybe they finally figured out the 'radio-controlled nuclear beaver' plot?  If so, time to send out the signals.

Absent

 
having the urge suddenly to watch "Canadian bacon" again.
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

sailor

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 1505
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Canada #3 best new future bad guy
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 09:01:45 pm »
Quote from: spoOk;47147

or maybe we will be the ad guys if we decide to stop sharing our resources?

 
You can keep the snow. And the cold. and I guess now you can keep the oil.  

We'll take the Quebec tourist dollars, (deleted to avoid issues)

catja6

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 380
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Canada #3 best new future bad guy
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 09:14:23 pm »
Quote from: Marilyn/Absentminded;47163
Maybe they finally figured out the 'radio-controlled nuclear beaver' plot?  If so, time to send out the signals.

Absent


OMG don't confirm that!!!  Then they might start looking more closely at the moose too... crap.

spoOk

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 411
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Canada #3 best new future bad guy
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 10:09:13 pm »
Quote from: sailor;47248
You can keep the snow. And the cold. and I guess now you can keep the oil.  

We'll take the Quebec tourist dollars, (deleted to avoid issues)

 
don't forget the wood and water...and currently I had my windows open all day enjoying the sun...and in sanfran....they were complaining about cold and rain....so whatevs!
:p
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

Marilyn/Absentminded

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • *
  • Posts: 975
  • Total likes: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Canada #3 best new future bad guy
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 11:17:21 pm »
Quote from: catja6;47250
OMG don't confirm that!!!  Then they might start looking more closely at the moose too... crap.

 
It's okay - the moose are a diversion.  We send them into upper Michigan so we can identify the orange-hats.

Absent
I smile when I\'m angry.  I cheat and I lie
I do what I have to do to get by
But I know what is wrong, and I know what is right
And I die for the truth in my secret life

   In My Secret Life, L. Cohen

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
The new guy

Started by Raug Vinchenzo Moretti Introductions

4 Replies
599 Views
Last post December 09, 2012, 06:43:32 am
by Waldhexe
Hi from the New Guy

Started by CeileDe Introductions

4 Replies
720 Views
Last post July 09, 2015, 07:53:25 am
by RandallS
15 Replies
3238 Views
Last post August 17, 2015, 08:58:04 pm
by 70sWoodstock
10 Replies
1753 Views
Last post August 03, 2017, 09:19:51 pm
by RandallS
34 Replies
4110 Views
Last post January 07, 2018, 05:00:53 am
by MadZealot

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 36
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal