collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Where to start with Feri?  (Read 3909 times)

Emma

Where to start with Feri?
« on: July 08, 2011, 05:08:42 pm »
I'd like to learn more about Feri and would appreciate recommendations for the fundamentals. I'd like to get a stronger sense of whether or not it's for me before I seek a teacher or class.

So far, I'm halfway through "The Spiral Path," but the book reads to me like Starhawk's own eclectic blend of Feri and other traditions, techniques, and mythologies. Am I misunderstanding the text, and this is actually the best Feri starter book?

I've also read through feritradition.org site and am beginning to check out the external links one by one. I see a book listing on the site, but would like to start with something straightforward like Cunningham's "Solitary Practitioner," if such a thing is even available, and don't know which (if any) of these books is like that. Is this site (feritradition.org) credible, and/or are there other credible sites I should look at?

Any help with Feri-specific starter resources would be greatly appreciated.

Tana

Re: Where to start with Feri?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 05:23:33 pm »
Quote from: Emma;3040

 I see a book listing on the site, but would like to start with something straightforward like Cunningham's "Solitary Practitioner," if such a thing is even available, and don't know which (if any) of these books is like that.


You are aware, that the Feri tradition - by its own definition - can not be learned from a book? So you won't find anything according to a neo-wicca-ish DIY book.

As other resources go, you might want to try http://www.wiggage.com/witch/fericontents.html and Evolutionary Witchcraft by Thorn Coyle.
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

Darkhawk

  • Senior Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 4733
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 577
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; CoX; Etc.
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, she, they
Re: Where to start with Feri?
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 05:53:49 pm »
Quote from: Emma;3040
So far, I'm halfway through "The Spiral Path," but the book reads to me like Starhawk's own eclectic blend of Feri and other traditions, techniques, and mythologies. Am I misunderstanding the text, and this is actually the best Feri starter book?

 
Starhawk's work is in the Reclaiming tradition; while Reclaiming is descended from Feri, it is indeed Starhawk's own eclectic blend of Feri and other traditions, techniques, and mythologies.

Publishing about Feri at all is extremely controversial in the Feri community, which means, among other things, anything that you see will be reflecting a very limited fraction of the community.

Thorn's Evolutionary Witchcraft, for example, is a somewhat polished version of the class notes to her two-year Feri tools class back from when she was teaching Feri (regularly?  I'm not sure if she's given it up entirely).  Anaar's White Wand (I believe available as a download from http://www.whitewand.com/ now, though I have it in hardcopy) deals with a very specific subject, as does Etheric Anatomy, by the Andersons themselves.

Also worth considering are Lilith's Lantern and Thorns of the Blood Rose, volumes of Victor's poetry, and Fifty Years in the Feri Tradition and Kitchen Witch: A Memoir, by Cora.

None of this will give you the tradition, but it may give you enough about the tradition to evaluate where you want to go.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Emma

Re: Where to start with Feri?
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 06:22:01 pm »
Quote from: Tana;3044
You are aware, that the Feri tradition - by its own definition - can not be learned from a book? So you won't find anything according to a neo-wicca-ish DIY book.

 
You know, I thought I had read something like that along the way, but I figured it was metaphorical.

I'll look at that site, thanks.

Emma

Re: Where to start with Feri?
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 06:51:22 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;3046
Starhawk's work is in the Reclaiming tradition; while Reclaiming is descended from Feri, it is indeed Starhawk's own eclectic blend of Feri and other traditions, techniques, and mythologies.
...
None of this will give you the tradition, but it may give you enough about the tradition to evaluate where you want to go.

 
I think I gave the wrong impression when I mentioned the Cunningham book. I only meant to provide a comparison by way of writing style, not content; but if it's not meant to even be published, then that is a moot point anyway.

I didn't really mean to say I'm looking for a "For Dummies" book. I just want to get a better sense of, as you said, what it's about, and make sure the information is credible to decide whether or not I should invest my time and resources in seeking a teacher. This confirmation is very helpful.

SunflowerP

  • Senior Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: Calgary AB
  • Posts: 7859
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Country: ca
  • Total likes: 154
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: Where to start with Feri?
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 08:50:07 pm »
Quote from: Emma;3069
I think I gave the wrong impression when I mentioned the Cunningham book. I only meant to provide a comparison by way of writing style, not content; but if it's not meant to even be published, then that is a moot point anyway.

I didn't really mean to say I'm looking for a "For Dummies" book. I just want to get a better sense of, as you said, what it's about, and make sure the information is credible to decide whether or not I should invest my time and resources in seeking a teacher. This confirmation is very helpful.

 
IME, there's more of the sort of thing you're looking for available online (the site Tana recommended is very accessible) than in print books.

It's not exactly a case of "not meant to be published", per se; it's more just that so much of the substance of Feri can't be conveyed in words - but words on a page make it really easy for people to think it's been conveyed.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Darkhawk

  • Senior Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 4733
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 577
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; CoX; Etc.
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, she, they
Re: Where to start with Feri?
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 12:27:42 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;3116
It's not exactly a case of "not meant to be published", per se; it's more just that so much of the substance of Feri can't be conveyed in words - but words on a page make it really easy for people to think it's been conveyed.

 
Also, the act of publishing Feri stuff makes half the community pissed off. ;P
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

sugarmagnolia

Re: Where to start with Feri?
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 02:12:01 am »
Quote from: Emma;3040
I'd like to learn more about Feri and would appreciate recommendations for the fundamentals. I'd like to get a stronger sense of whether or not it's for me before I seek a teacher or class.

So far, I'm halfway through "The Spiral Path," but the book reads to me like Starhawk's own eclectic blend of Feri and other traditions, techniques, and mythologies. Am I misunderstanding the text, and this is actually the best Feri starter book?

I've also read through feritradition.org site and am beginning to check out the external links one by one. I see a book listing on the site, but would like to start with something straightforward like Cunningham's "Solitary Practitioner," if such a thing is even available, and don't know which (if any) of these books is like that. Is this site (feritradition.org) credible, and/or are there other credible sites I should look at?

Any help with Feri-specific starter resources would be greatly appreciated.


If you can, check out The Mystic Dream in Walnut Creek, CA.  Storm often holds classes there and while I have not personally met him, some people I know and trust have and vouch for him.
   
You won't find much written about the Feri tradition because it can be difficult to nail down in words.  It is also an initiatory tradition and quite a bit is oath bound.  I can tell you that if you were to put 30 followers of Feri in one room you're liable to end up with 32 different flavors of Feri.  This is due in part to Victor's methods of teaching and not that any of those "flavors" are necessarily wrong.

sugarmagnolia

Re: Where to start with Feri?
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 02:15:43 am »
Quote from: Darkhawk;3329
Also, the act of publishing Feri stuff makes half the community pissed off. ;P

 
Yup.  It's the same tired old argument that comes up every so often.  I personally believe that more should be published, to prevent bits and pieces from being lost completely.

savveir

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 460
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Where to start with Feri?
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 06:41:35 am »
Quote from: Tana;3044
You are aware, that the Feri tradition - by its own definition - can not be learned from a book?

 
I've discovered this too, so whilst i'm reading anything i can get my hands on, I've been trying to find a group in Australia. So far no luck, but if anyone has heard of any groups in Oz let me know.
"I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it."
-Lewis Carroll

SkySamuelle

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 717
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Total likes: 2
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Re: Where to start with Feri?
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 02:54:30 pm »
Quote from: Emma;3040
I'd like to learn more about Feri and would appreciate recommendations for the fundamentals. I'd like to get a stronger sense of whether or not it's for me before I seek a teacher or class.

So far, I'm halfway through "The Spiral Path," but the book reads to me like Starhawk's own eclectic blend of Feri and other traditions, techniques, and mythologies. Am I misunderstanding the text, and this is actually the best Feri starter book?

I've also read through feritradition.org site and am beginning to check out the external links one by one. I see a book listing on the site, but would like to start with something straightforward like Cunningham's "Solitary Practitioner," if such a thing is even available, and don't know which (if any) of these books is like that. Is this site (feritradition.org) credible, and/or are there other credible sites I should look at?

Any help with Feri-specific starter resources would be greatly appreciated.

 
Keep in account that Victor Anderson Feri tradition was strongly influenced by Huna Shamanism (and i think i remember, Appalacian folk magick?) - so when I was interested in that path, I made a lot of searching into Huna. I found it very beneficial to fill in the blanks of the info i found online on Feri.

I think you might find in pdf book by laura hadley 'Huna' if you are intersted - it's quite good.
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
14 Replies
3698 Views
Last post October 19, 2016, 07:24:37 pm
by MamaThistle
4 Replies
978 Views
Last post July 13, 2012, 10:37:12 pm
by wadjet
12 Replies
1279 Views
Last post February 02, 2013, 05:23:34 pm
by eldri
15 Replies
2389 Views
Last post July 05, 2013, 12:58:14 pm
by Naomi J
10 Replies
1848 Views
Last post December 21, 2015, 10:52:03 pm
by Darkhawk

Beginner Area

Warning: You are currently in a Beginner Friendly area of the message board.

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 29
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Co-Hosts:
LyricFox & Randall

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Sunflower

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Board Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, HarpingHawke, Jenett, Morag, rocquelaire, Sefiru

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Reserve Staff:
Aisling

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Cauldron Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]

Site Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
Webmaster:
Randall