collapse
2020 Donation Drive

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise at least $710 to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 22 October 2020: $561 donated. Only $149 more needed! Thank you, donors!

Note: This total is updated manually, usually once a day

Author Topic: The Crystal Bible Series  (Read 907 times)

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
The Crystal Bible Series
« on: May 15, 2014, 05:10:35 am »
Hi all. I haven't seen a thread on these popular books, so I thought I'd start one.

I have the three Crystal Bible books by Judy Hall. I've seen the first recommended, and I've recommended it myself once, but I've come to the realization that there are better books out there. Myself, I'd recommend The Essential Guide to Crystals, Minerals, and Stones by Margaret Ann Lembo. Ms. Lembo is just as New-Age love-and-light in her philosophy, but her book is far more down to earth and practical.

The first Crystal Bible is....passable. Weird, but passable. Especially since it's so widely available. It's probably the only book on crystal use you can be guaranteed to find in a normal bookstore like Barnes & Nobles, and one of the better ones in any metaphysical shop (though, as they're likely to carry Cunningham as well, GO WITH CUNNINGHAM and read his bibliography, too...most valuable part of that book)

So I had the first Crystal Bible and used it somewhat. Mostly to figure out what stones for what chakras. (And disregarding all the extra chakras she felt the need to add in...WTF??? THERE ARE ONLY SUPPOSED TO BE SEVEN, PEOPLE. You can talk about extra centers of energy in the body if you want but THOSE ARE NOT CHAKRAS!!!!)

Then I went to Barnes & Noble to shop for books and saw...the second and third. I bought them because they looked interesting.

I was right! I read them and I just have to stop every few pages and facepalm in disbelief. Some of the stuff in these books...it seems like SHE has a hard time believing. Like, in The Crystal Bible 3 she has an entry for "Andara Glass" which she admits is essentially a manmade, colored glass. The company that makes it claims (obviously falsely, she implies, though she doesn't state this explicitly) that it's "volcanic glass" - obsidian. According to the sellers, it was said to have been found at a garbage dump that was on once sacred grounds by a "Native American shaman." Those are the words. I read them and my face went into my hand.

But I keep them because...I do that to myself. They're entertaining like trashy novels.:D:

So I guess if I were giving advice to would-be crystal-users on what books to pick, I'd say start with Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Crystal, Gem, & Metal Magic. This was my first book, and it does a great job of balancing "new age" crystal lore with old folkore/folk magic uses. As I mentioned earlier, it also has an excellent, annotated bibliography that is easily the most useful part of the book.

I'd actually steer away from The Crystal Bible series altogether, and instead go for Margaret Ann Lembo's The Essential Guide to Crystals, Minerals, and Stones, which is slightly harder to find (you won't see it in Barnes & Noble), but easy enough to get in a metaphysical store or online. This book, as I mentioned earlier, is still pretty New Age. The author talks about a past life in Atlantis, for gods' sake! But she also makes it pretty clear that she's had plenty of hands-on experience working with crystals, and gotten results. I much prefer her writing style, and the style of the book itself. I also like that she provides much sounder scientific information on the stones and crystals. (She lists an actual geologist in her acknowledgments, thanking him for helping her get her information right. So she really did do some homework here)

So...those are just my thoughts. Feel free to chime in: disagree, back me up, or just add recommendations for other books. I'd love to hear what you have to say.;)
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
Re: The Crystal Bible Series
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 07:23:14 am »
Quote from: Redfaery;147585
(And disregarding all the extra chakras she felt the need to add in...WTF??? THERE ARE ONLY SUPPOSED TO BE SEVEN, PEOPLE. You can talk about extra centers of energy in the body if you want but THOSE ARE NOT CHAKRAS!!!!)

Actually there are a few hundred chakra points throughout the body. The chakra system that got nabbed by curious non-Hindu Westerners tends to  simplify the concept to the point of there only being those main seven without acknowledging the other smaller energy points elsewhere in the body.

(I can dig through my textbooks and find a proper source for this info, but I just woke up and my bookshelf is allll the way over theeere. ;))
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 07:30:49 am »
Quote from: Sage;147587
Actually there are a few hundred chakra points throughout the body. The chakra system that got nabbed by curious non-Hindu Westerners tends to  simplify the concept to the point of there only being those main seven without acknowledging the other smaller energy points elsewhere in the body.

(I can dig through my textbooks and find a proper source for this info, but I just woke up and my bookshelf is allll the way over theeere. ;))

Point taken, and that's kind of what I meant when I said that I'm not against identifying more than 7 points in the body, but....I'm not sure where the chakras she talks about come from. I seriously doubt it was from ancient Sanskrit.;)

In the first Crystal Bible, she talks about an "Earth Chakra" beneath the feet, but doesn't give any hint of chakras in the legs, which WERE an ancient but not-now-normally-used idea. By the time we get to the third Crystal Bible, she's listing 19 chakras.

I'm not against going by some other system than the standard, and I regret saying what I did, because I obviously was being too simplistic about it. However, I do think that if you're going to borrow another culture's system, you need to do your homework, and not just slap the label on your own ideas.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 08:32:22 am »
I were giving advice to would-be crystal-users on what books to pick, I'd say start with Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Crystal, Gem, & Metal Magic. This was my first book, and it does a great job of balancing "new age" crystal lore with old folkore/folk magic uses. As I mentioned earlier, it also has an excellent, annotated bibliography that is easily the most useful part of the book.

I'd actually steer away from The Crystal Bible series altogether, and instead go for Margaret Ann Lembo's The Essential Guide to Crystals, Minerals, and Stones, which is slightly harder to find (you won't see it in Barnes & Noble), but easy enough to get in a metaphysical store or online. This book, as I mentioned earlier, is still pretty New Age. The author talks about a past life in Atlantis, for gods' sake! But she also makes it pretty clear that she's had plenty of hands-on experience working with crystals, and gotten results. I much prefer her writing style, and the style of the book itself.

I also like that she provides much sounder scientific information on the stones and crystals. (She lists an actual geologist in her acknowledgments, thanking him for helping her get her information right. So she really did do some homework here)

So...those are just my thoughts. Feel free to chime in: disagree, back me up, or just add recommendations for other books. I'd love to hear what you have to say.;)

I'd prefer books written by lithotherapists or geomancers that don't do detailed correspondences, actually, because I think that changes. I was disillusioned when I read about the myth behind Amethyst, and that it was a correspondent of sobriety rather than ULTIMATE PSYCHIC POWAH once.

Their personal experiences are the most interesting to me even--or especially the ones that involve mythos that I remain far removed from, but I'd stick to books for actual rock collectors that detail the properties of the stones...and then just practice by intuition. For some reason, the Eyewitness field guide to Rocks & Minerals is out of print.

If the book is more about techniques for using gemstones that the reader has their own correspondences for, that's also cool. Here is where I learned about crystal gridding.
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Freesia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 04:43:42 pm »

I haven't done much work with crystals except for my quartz point and a jasper wand for acupressure. I do have a book I got for free: The Magic of Crystals Colour and Chakra. Each section has specific authors: Crystal Healing chapters are Sue and Simon Lilly, Space Clearing is Stella Martin, Altars and Shrines is Josephine de Winter, Feng Shui is Gill Hale.

It goes into detail on meditation, space clearing rituals, altar/shrine setups, and Feng Shui. I haven't done any of these except set up my first shrine. It includes a section on color therapy that addresses synesthesia (which I have) and my own type of dyslexia: Scotopic Sensitivity Syndrome (pg 142), so I got some personal information out of the book.    

So basically the book is an overview of New Age crystal magic with Eastern influences. It doesn't get spacey or go Starseed-Atlantis-out-there (I live in Roswell, just saying). I like it as a basic reference. I plan on using this book in my eclectic practice.

Tags: