"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Teutonic Myth and Legend, by Donald A. Mackenzie???  (Read 1840 times)

Aspirer

• Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Teutonic Myth and Legend, by Donald A. Mackenzie???
« on: December 21, 2013, 11:29:33 pm »
Anyone familiar with this?  I want to start with a book that overviews the Germanic mythological cycle (from creation to Ragnarok, basically). Then, move into resources that go over specific topics in-depth.  

Does anyone know if this is a reputable source to build on or if I'll get a load of misinformation?  

Before it's suggested, I did do a search on the forum and came up with no matches for the author or book title.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
Re: Teutonic Myth and Legend, by Donald A. Mackenzie???
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 11:36:57 pm »
Quote from: Aspirer;133375
Anyone familiar with this?  I want to start with a book that overviews the Germanic mythological cycle (from creation to Ragnarok, basically). Then, move into resources that go over specific topics in-depth.  

Does anyone know if this is a reputable source to build on or if I'll get a load of misinformation?  

Before it's suggested, I did do a search on the forum and came up with no matches for the author or book title.

Well, it's on Sacred Texts, so you can read it for free. That's a point in it's favor, I suppose. I'm unimpressed by anything that refers to Loki as The Evil One, as that suggests a highly Christianized POV.

Have you considered the first volume of the Troth? I seem to recall that being a pretty good overview. Still not without its biases, but at least it's written by heathens.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 11:56:38 pm »

Anything written a century ago that is a secondary source (as this is) is going to need a lot of filtering, and a lot of understanding of the development of the relevant area of academic and cultural study.

Which isn't to say they aren't also sometimes worthwhile, but generally not the best place to start.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Hyacinth Belle

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 01:00:12 am »

Go instead with Gods and Myths of Northern Europe by H.R. Ellis Davidson. And check out the Recommended Resources thread in the Asatru and Heathenry SIG (stickied at the top of that board)!
"Silent and thoughtful a prince\'s son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

Tags: