Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 08:57:21 am]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Author Topic: Symbols, Sigils, and Signs Collection?  (Read 7213 times)

mellowitch

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Symbols, Sigils, and Signs Collection?
« on: February 20, 2012, 04:44:57 pm »
Hi folks. I'm looking for a guide, or a book, something, that would contain a collection of sigils or symbols and their meanings that can be carved into candles, drawn on things, etc (example: a dollar sign symbolizes money). Looking for hoodoo/voodoo/pagan and other traditions. So far, the only symbols I can find have been interspersed throughout books, never really collected, and I cant find a good collection.

Some general examples I'm looking for are:

Symbols to banish things
Symbols to bind things
Symbols for happiness, etc.

Anybody know if a collection like this exists and possibly where I can find or buy something like this? Online resources would be even better.

Aiwelin

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Symbols, Sigils, and Signs Collection?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 08:06:10 pm »
Quote from: mellowitch;43545
Anybody know if a collection like this exists and possibly where I can find or buy something like this? Online resources would be even better.

The only one I have any experience with a book called The Magician's Companion, by Bill Whitcomb.  It is a great compendium of different systems of magic, including their symbols - runes, ogham, enochian, and many others.  From what I remember, however, it's definitely geared more towards a 'high' magic kind of audience and has much less in the way of voodoo, hoodoo, or folk magic; so it may not be quite what you're looking for.  It's also organized by magical systems, not by desire or intent.  It is a great book and fantastic source of knowledge, though, so if you can get it through your library or have the opportunity to look through it in a local store, you should check it out.
Devotee of Nerthus
Worshipper of Germanic Deities
Now blogging on Patheos Pagan!  Check out Heathen at Heart

In the Nebraska-Iowa area?  Come check out Prairie Shadow Protogrove, ADF!
Ár nDraíocht Féin
The Troth

ZombyFrogg

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 08:29:02 pm »
Hi folks. I'm looking for a guide, or a book, something, that would contain a collection of sigils or symbols and their meanings that can be carved into candles, drawn on things, etc (example: a dollar sign symbolizes money). Looking for hoodoo/voodoo/pagan and other traditions. So far, the only symbols I can find have been interspersed throughout books, never really collected, and I cant find a good collection.

Symbols to banish things
Symbols to bind things

If you don't mind the suggestion, since you can't find a collection have you thought of putting together your own? Just draw them in a notebook and label what they mean. Then you have a resource and don't have to go searching all the time.

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 04:29:23 am »
Quote from: MysticalMama;43560
The only one I have any experience with a book called The Magician's Companion, by Bill Whitcomb.  It is a great compendium of different systems of magic, including their symbols - runes, ogham, enochian, and many others.  From what I remember, however, it's definitely geared more towards a 'high' magic kind of audience and has much less in the way of voodoo, hoodoo, or folk magic; so it may not be quite what you're looking for.  It's also organized by magical systems, not by desire or intent.  It is a great book and fantastic source of knowledge, though, so if you can get it through your library or have the opportunity to look through it in a local store, you should check it out.

I will also tentatively suggest Whitcomb's book - I've had a copy for a dozen years now a refer back to it every now and again

Realize that it's not all inclusive, there are systems he either glazed over or skipped entirely - 7 and 9 count Celtic Elements for example - but it is a good general reference

I know that a couple of Cunninghams' books as well as Buckland's have some symbology in them

The net is a place to look as well - just do some Google searches on 'Magickal Symbols' and you'll get a treasure trove

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 11:31:50 am »
Quote from: Rhyshadow;43592
I will also tentatively suggest Whitcomb's book - I've had a copy for a dozen years now a refer back to it every now and again

Same here, though I don't refer to it very often.

I think the fact that symbols are often organized into different systems, as Whitcomb's book does, is important to recognize. I think using just *any* symbol defeats the purpose; the symbol has to have deep meaning to the person using it, and more often than not, full meaning is going to require one to be familiar with the context that goes with the symbol: the system and/or culture that uses it, etc.

For example: To me, runes look great. But I haven't studied them, and I'm not steeped in the Nordic culture they spring from. I wouldn't get a rune as a tattoo--even if liked what a specific rune meant--until either or both of those things change.

So using symbols should be more than selection from the broadest possible a la carte menu, IMHO.

Quote from: Rhyshadow;43592
The net is a place to look as well - just do some Google searches on 'Magickal Symbols' and you'll get a treasure trove

Great suggestion, though see the caveat above.

I have a nice book of symbols at home, though it's organized by symbol, rather than by meaning. (In other words, you can't look up "protection" and find an illustration of all the different symbols that stand for that.) When I get home from work I'll grab it and post the info.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 11:55:44 am »
Quote from: Altair;43636
Same here, though I don't refer to it very often.

I think the fact that symbols are often organized into different systems, as Whitcomb's book does, is important to recognize. I think using just *any* symbol defeats the purpose; the symbol has to have deep meaning to the person using it, and more often than not, full meaning is going to require one to be familiar with the context that goes with the symbol: the system and/or culture that uses it, etc.

For example: To me, runes look great. But I haven't studied them, and I'm not steeped in the Nordic culture they spring from. I wouldn't get a rune as a tattoo--even if liked what a specific rune meant--until either or both of those things change.

So using symbols should be more than selection from the broadest possible a la carte menu, IMHO.

Of course, never use something "because it looks right", always investigate the meaning, context and history behind the symbol before you use it

Also, if you're drawn to a particular culture, investigate that one thoroughly and be sure you're doing things right - or as right and can be determined from evidence

Great suggestion, though see the caveat above.

I have a nice book of symbols at home, though it's organized by symbol, rather than by meaning. (In other words, you can't look up "protection" and find an illustration of all the different symbols that stand for that.) When I get home from work I'll grab it and post the info.

Yes, don't assume that one symbol means one thing - several different cultures used and still use one particular symbol and it means different things to each.

As always - Caveat Emptor

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 05:55:52 pm »

An Illustrated Encyclopaedia of Traditional Symbols by J.C. Cooper
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

mellowitch

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 12:35:08 pm »
Quote from: Rhyshadow;43639
Of course, never use something "because it looks right", always investigate the meaning, context and history behind the symbol before you use it

Also, if you're drawn to a particular culture, investigate that one thoroughly and be sure you're doing things right - or as right and can be determined from evidence

Yes, don't assume that one symbol means one thing - several different cultures used and still use one particular symbol and it means different things to each.

As always - Caveat Emptor

Wow, thanks for all the great feedback! I'm one of those people who likes to read into everything and do lots of research. I'll check out some of these resources.

cigfran

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://cigfran.net
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 01:09:25 pm »
Quote from: Altair;43678
An Illustrated Encyclopaedia of Traditional Symbols by J.C. Cooper

Also, while it's not quite geared the same way, consider The Book Of Symbols: Reflections On Archetypal Images,

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 08:29:11 pm »

Symbols to banish things
Symbols to bind things

I will echo the words about the Whitcomb book. I've seen the alphabets and alchemical symbols combined in other books to make new and different signs sometimes.

Cunningham's books have some of course, as do the Crone books and they differ with purpose and meanings.

This Element Encyclopedia is fun to page through sometimes.

The shop that has the widest variety of books (often pamphlets or magazines) that have banishing and binding things in them around here also has a larger variety Santeria, Voodoo and Hoodoo supplies than other shops of woo I've investigated. So if you are up for an adventure, perhaps searching for those types of spiritual supplies distributors online would be fruitful. Still it is more than likely other research would be required to know exactly what the symbols mean that are included in those types of books.

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 07:47:12 am »

Symbols to banish things
Symbols to bind things

1001 Symbols is a good encyclopedia-like reference book. Easy to get hold of, as well.
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 06:00:25 am »

Not specifically magically-oriented, but you might find Symbols.com of some use.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Tags: