Re: Hello by Jenett
[Yesterday at 05:46:26 pm]

Re: What types of other forums are people members of, besides TC? by Altair
[Yesterday at 04:24:34 pm]

Re: Hello by Altair
[Yesterday at 04:08:21 pm]

Hello by angelthings
[Yesterday at 03:48:26 pm]

Author Topic: Studies for 2021?  (Read 1809 times)

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Studies for 2021?
« on: December 27, 2020, 10:01:01 am »
Is anyone considering following any courses in 2021?

For example, I considered again just recently whether 2021 would be the year I'd follow A Perennial Course in Druidry by Emma Restall Orr (Bobcat) from The Druid Network website.  (The site describes it as:  "Thirteen units based around the moons of the year, this is a course that is very nature-oriented. It can be used as an effective practice, even for experienced Druids, particularly when used on a daily or regular basis.")

I even got as far as downloading it to read on Kindle.  But then I remembered that I've not made it past unit one of the New Order of Druids course yet, and I've also had a huge amount on my plate already in recent months so now is probably not the time for me, personally.

I might start reading through it, but it's almost certain that I won't manage to follow the whole course, not this year.

How about you?
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Studies for 2021?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 11:16:27 am »

I've had "No, seriously, get more systematic about learning astrology" on my to do list for a couple of years, and I'm going to try again. I have Benebell Wen's course, which is excellent (but entirely self-paced), but stalled part way through it last April.

Someone I know locally (a priestess and astrologer) is doing a short intro to astrology course starting in mid-January (via Zoom) and I'm considering doing that, though I need to poke more at the dates and make sure that will work on my end.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 12:51:19 pm »

For example, I considered again just recently whether 2021 would be the year I'd follow A Perennial Course in Druidry by Emma Restall Orr (Bobcat) from The Druid Network website.  (The site describes it as:  "Thirteen units based around the moons of the year, this is a course that is very nature-oriented. It can be used as an effective practice, even for experienced Druids, particularly when used on a daily or regular basis.")

I even got as far as downloading it to read on Kindle.  But then I remembered that I've not made it past unit one of the New Order of Druids course yet, and I've also had a huge amount on my plate already in recent months so now is probably not the time for me, personally.

I might start reading through it, but it's almost certain that I won't manage to follow the whole course, not this year.

How about you?

I'm torn...I had planned (and still might) on doing some kind of challenge every month (inspired by inktober and other 30 day challenges I've taken part in)...but my word for the year is reboot and I'm actually focused on letting stuff go and finding a better balance in life (instead of always just adding stuff).  So maybe?
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 05:49:57 pm »

Not a formal course, but I'm determined to learn how to sew my own trousers, and having bought five pairs' worth of fabric, I'm kind of committed. I'm about to start cutting on pair #2 which hopefully will be fit to wear in public! I hate clothes shopping and enjoy sewing, so I'm looking forward to it.

TheGreenWizard

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2020, 03:11:01 pm »

My husband bought me for Christmas/Yule Cornell's Lab of Ornithology Nature Journaling course. I've had this at the back of my mind for some time, and fell in love with the idea of combining the plan to develop my art skills and the plan to go outside once a day and do nature journaling. It also helped that a recent teacher workshop kicked me into high gear doing this, so there's that.

But similar to @Kylara, I'm trying to really look at my plate and figure out what needs to stay, go, or be given more time. The past few days off have helped a lot in figuring that out (mostly the fact that I haven't had to look at stuff related to teaching has REALLY sent a clear signal of get organized and committed to my official work hours).
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go

Noctua

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Blue Star Wicca
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2021, 08:07:29 pm »

How about you?

I've taken it upon myself to start learning tasseomancy this year- I've gotten quite a tea collection going and being able to throw some woo in there alongside drinking it seemed like the natural next step. No formal classes or anything like that- I've read a couple books on it but it seems very much the sort of thing you just learn by doing.

For a more formal thing, though, I started working through Tiffany Lazic's  The Great Work  on Yule.I got it, serendipitously, from a subscription box right after I asked to start working towards initiation in my trad. It has a daily journal prompt for every day of the year, which has been a good way for me to get back in the habit of journaling- I've found that if I'm unstructured in my journaling then I'm usually just going to write "boring day" and be done with it if I write anything at all.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 06:42:12 pm »
I've found that if I'm unstructured in my journaling then I'm usually just going to write "boring day" and be done with it if I write anything at all.

LOL this is me too.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch
    • View Profile
    • Everyday Magic
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: zie/zir or she/her
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2021, 03:03:00 am »
For a more formal thing, though, I started working through Tiffany Lazic's  The Great Work  on Yule.I got it, serendipitously, from a subscription box right after I asked to start working towards initiation in my trad. It has a daily journal prompt for every day of the year, which has been a good way for me to get back in the habit of journaling- I've found that if I'm unstructured in my journaling then I'm usually just going to write "boring day" and be done with it if I write anything at all.

*clicks link, looks at book*

*sighs, adds it to massive wishlist and TBR pile*
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Everyday Magic
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch
    • View Profile
    • Everyday Magic
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: zie/zir or she/her
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2021, 03:10:40 am »

The most formal stuff I'm doing is some self-directed classes in writing and publishing, the former at Cat Rambo's Academy for Wayward Writers, and the latter from David Gaughran. (If anyone is thinking about self-publishing, I highly recommend really listening to what Gaughran has to say. And not just because of his dreamy accent.)

Less-formally, I'm also attempting a tarot challenge for creatives (that I am now 5 days behind in, so go me), as well as thinking I'd really like this year to be the year I finally read through most of my witch books, or at least the ones not boxed up right now, and actually try to do some of the exercises, and stuff.

I still haven't figured out exactly what I want to do, though; I'm still in the switchover from old year to new. (New Year doesn't really feel fully present for me until after Epiphany.)

I do think there will be a huge focus on both divination and moon stuff. Divination because my mom's yule gift to me was her entire collection of oracle cards and tarot, as well as a brand new deck that I've wanted for a while, and her comment being that I was the mystic/priestess/oracle of the family so I should definitely have that stuff.

(Yes, my mom is amazing.)

Moon stuff because last year I used the Moonology diary and then ended up reading the book and it really clicked for me, so I'm moon-crazy now. Like, more than I was. Which was actually probably already quite a bit more than the average person.

I'm rambling because it's past midnight; I'm going to do the sensible thing and join my puppy, who has already conked out on my side of the bed.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Everyday Magic
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Tags: