collapse

Author Topic: Resources: Gods absorbed into other cultural and ritual contexts  (Read 3511 times)

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Christo-Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
I'm interested in articles and even books about cultures who absorbed gods from foreign cultures, but I'd like to start with articles on the Internet if there are any so that I can get a bit of a grasp on the subject before I start delving into books, especially since I'm already trying to finish a few books that it seems I'm never going to get through...

What I'm really curious about is if those gods -- any gods at all -- were absorbed into new contexts, myths, and religious structures that were different from their original contexts and ritual structures.  I'm pretty sure I've read about this kind of thing before but not enough to get any specifics.

Could I possibly get any recommendations from others here who are more knowledgeable than I am on this subject?
My personal moral code:

Love wisely, and do what thou wilt.

Klaw

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Norse Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
Re: Resources: Gods absorbed into other cultural and ritual contexts
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 09:53:00 am »
I'm interested in articles and even books about cultures who absorbed gods from foreign cultures, but I'd like to start with articles on the Internet if there are any so that I can get a bit of a grasp on the subject before I start delving into books, especially since I'm already trying to finish a few books that it seems I'm never going to get through...

Off the top of my head is the Celtic Goddess Brigid. She has been represented many ways and was absorbed by the Catholic church as a saint. There are tons of articles and information online. Hope that helps.

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 11:25:15 am »
Off the top of my head is the Celtic Goddess Brigid. She has been represented many ways and was absorbed by the Catholic church as a saint. There are tons of articles and information online. Hope that helps.

She came to mind, but I've never been certain the saint was really a transferred goddess.  I'll check it out again.  It's been a while.
My personal moral code:

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 06:33:41 pm »
Could I possibly get any recommendations from others here who are more knowledgeable than I am on this subject?

I know the Greeks did this all the f'ing time: Serapis and Isis come to mind off the top of my head.

You might also look into the adoption of originally Indian deities into Chinese and Japanese culture, via the spread of Buddhism: Kwan Yin is the major exmple I know of.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 08:33:14 pm »
I know the Greeks did this all the f'ing time: Serapis and Isis come to mind off the top of my head.

You might also look into the adoption of originally Indian deities into Chinese and Japanese culture, via the spread of Buddhism: Kwan Yin is the major exmple I know of.

It seems like I once read that the buddha had been absorbed into Hinduism with a different take on him.  I'll be looking for that.

Thanks for the tip!
My personal moral code:

Paganism

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hindu/Pagan
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 01:49:11 pm »
There is probably a case of this where the Germanic / Norse Aesir followers absorbed the Vanir, or vice-versa.

Most modern Hindu gods were absorbed from regional / tribal deities into the Vedic religion.

One could probably make a case that Yahwists absorbed El, or vice-versa as well.

Klaw

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Norse Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 02:46:21 pm »
There is probably a case of this where the Germanic / Norse Aesir followers absorbed the Vanir, or vice-versa.

There is a lot of mixed ideas about which Gods and Goddesses were Vanir. Some people get very passionate about which were Aesir and which were Vanir. Many just combine the two out of ease. I personally believe you miss out on a lot of the mythology especially the war between the two and the relationship of Freya and Freyr when you don't acknowledge both. There is a group that worships Ullr mostly because he can be considered a God of Winter sports. They tend to be skiers and snowboarders.

Zlote Jablko

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Slavic/ PIE Recon
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2019, 05:30:56 pm »

What I'm really curious about is if those gods -- any gods at all -- were absorbed into new contexts, myths, and religious structures that were different from their original contexts and ritual structures.  I'm pretty sure I've read about this kind of thing before but not enough to get any specifics.

As mentioned earlier, saints are a great example of this. In more than one way. St. Brigid and Muirgen May actually be based on pagan personalities. In other cases however, saints have been imported and syncretized. For instance, Catholic saints in Voudun.

It’s interesting that a few of the seven idols mentioned in Prince Vladimir’s pantheon in Kievan Rus, appear to have north Iranian (Scytho-Sarmatian) names. Simargl is thought to correspond to the Persian Simurgh. Khors may be related to the Iranian word for sun, or perhaps the Ossetian word for grain. In either case, the etymology seems north Iranian rather than Slavic.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2019, 06:06:41 pm »

A Reminder:
Hi Paganism,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion easier to follow, and it's required by our rules. (If you're using tapatalk on a phone, please hold your finger down on the message you wish to reply to until the quote function pops up.)

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder. No reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification, please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
Morag
TC Forum Staff
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2019, 10:39:45 am »
It seems like I once read that the buddha had been absorbed into Hinduism with a different take on him.  I'll be looking for that.

Thanks for the tip!

Anything is possible. Those wild and kraaaazy Hindus! I'd be interested in that source. Some Hindus do view the Buddha as an avatar of Vishnu, among the Dasavatara - lit. "ten avatars", though Vishnu has either 22 or 24 depending on whom you talk to. I'm on the fence about it. My temple, being south Indian style, doesn't include the Buddha anywhere at all. In his place as the 9th avatar is Balarama, Krishna's elder brother.

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2019, 10:36:39 am »
Anything is possible. Those wild and kraaaazy Hindus! I'd be interested in that source. Some Hindus do view the Buddha as an avatar of Vishnu, among the Dasavatara - lit. "ten avatars", though Vishnu has either 22 or 24 depending on whom you talk to. I'm on the fence about it. My temple, being south Indian style, doesn't include the Buddha anywhere at all. In his place as the 9th avatar is Balarama, Krishna's elder brother.

That is what I remember, though it's hard to find material on.  I mostly heard about it by way of people debating to death whether it is true or not!
My personal moral code:

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 10:11:43 am »

It is worth remembering that Buddhism and modern Hinduism basically co-evolved: they each grew out of different takes on the older Vedic religion around the same time, and there was a period of time in which Buddhism was the dominant religion of the Indian subcontinent.  Their development was very much a dialogue.

Some threads (click through to read):

as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 10:57:38 am »
That is what I remember, though it's hard to find material on.  I mostly heard about it by way of people debating to death whether it is true or not!

I know... it's usually a pissing contest. Adi Shankara has been accused of being a closet Buddhist. lol

Tags: