Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Author Topic: Recommended Books for Celtic Wicca and Witchcraft  (Read 4536 times)

Caffeinated Autumn

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Recommended Books for Celtic Wicca and Witchcraft
« on: December 22, 2013, 01:10:49 am »
I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for authors who talk about Celtic Wicca and/or witchcraft. Right now I've been reading Scott Cunningham for basic Wicca info but I want to find other authors out there with the most credible information on these subjects.  I've heard D.J. Conway is one author to stay away from but I'm not sure. :confused:

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
Re: Recommended Books for Celtic Wicca and Witchcraft
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 03:54:43 am »
Quote from: Caffeinated Autumn;133454
I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for authors who talk about Celtic Wicca and/or witchcraft. Right now I've been reading Scott Cunningham for basic Wicca info but I want to find other authors out there with the most credible information on these subjects.  I've heard D.J. Conway is one author to stay away from but I'm not sure. :confused:

What are you thinking of when you refer to "Celtic Wicca"? Do you want Celtic resources to use with Wiccan rituals or something else? I think that might help get you more useful recommendations.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 06:57:17 am »
:ange:

I think anything that you'll find on that subject will be authors' take on personal spiritualities. Seperately, there are books you can read about Wicca, and then on things Celtic, but since Wicca isn't Celtic that blend is something personal.

I'd recommend a book called "Irish Witchcraft from and Irish Witch," by Lora O'Brien that explains the differences between the two, however you can see in the Celtic field it's specifically Irish, and I'm not which Celtic culture you'd be interested in.
Semper Fidelis

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 12:41:08 pm »
Quote from: Micheál;133559
I'd recommend a book called "Irish Witchcraft from and Irish Witch," by Lora O'Brien that explains the differences between the two, however you can see in the Celtic field it's specifically Irish, and I'm not which Celtic culture you'd be interested in.

I was going to recommend the same book. I'm not a Wiccan or witch, but I found it a really good book. A good example of blending of modern Pagan and local folk traditions.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 01:56:14 pm »
If you are just looking for a good book on just Witchcraft then Mastering Witchcraft by Paul Huson is a great book!
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 02:39:08 pm »
Quote from: Naomi J;133622
I was going to recommend the same book. I'm not a Wiccan or witch, but I found it a really good book. A good example of blending of modern Pagan and local folk traditions.

I agree completely. Her second one is pretty good too :)
Semper Fidelis

Oíche

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Irish Polytheism/Druidry/Initiatory Witchcraft
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 08:10:28 pm »

Gonna agree with the others and say this is an excellent book! :D
I have a copy of her latest one but haven't had the time to read it yet- might do that tomorrow now XD
'You're my friend, and I love you- but you really look like a witch!!'

Caffeinated Autumn

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 01:18:34 pm »
:ange:
I think anything that you'll find on that subject will be authors' take on personal spiritualities. Seperately, there are books you can read about Wicca, and then on things Celtic, but since Wicca isn't Celtic that blend is something personal.

Thank you for the recommendation! I'm interested in all Celtic cultures but if I had to choose I'd say Irish. Blending Wicca and Celtic culture, traditions, etc things like that (as mentioned by Jack) is what I'm also looking for. I'll definately check out the book though, sounds like a good place to start!

Allec

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 11:05:53 pm »
Quote from: Caffeinated Autumn;134068
Thank you for the recommendation! I'm interested in all Celtic cultures but if I had to choose I'd say Irish. Blending Wicca and Celtic culture, traditions, etc things like that (as mentioned by Jack) is what I'm also looking for. I'll definately check out the book though, sounds like a good place to start!

A great precursor for all Celtic mythologies is probably Celtic Gods and Heroes by
Marie-Louise Sjoestedt. Also, Tairis' website has excellent sources. They'll be more on the side of historical and archeological than the spiritual, but it helps to form a base at the very least. (Also a focus on Gaelic culture and religion...which is my specific religion.)
"The only good is knowledge, the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

Spiritual and Religious Tumblr || My "About Allec" Page || My Religious Blogspot Blog ||Cross Quarterly Zine

Tags: