collapse
2020 Donation Drive

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise at least $710 to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 27 November 2020: $636 donated. Only $74 more needed! Thank you, donors!


Note: This total is updated manually, usually once a day


* Recent Posts

Re: Tigereye by sevensons
[Yesterday at 10:20:54 pm]


Re: Tigereye by sevensons
[Yesterday at 03:37:43 am]


Re: Calendar for Ancient Greek Holidays by SunflowerP
[November 25, 2020, 06:51:33 pm]


Re: Crazy thought by Sefiru
[November 25, 2020, 06:18:59 pm]


Calendar for Ancient Greek Holidays by Delphinium
[November 25, 2020, 04:55:01 pm]

Author Topic: Recommended Books for Celtic Wicca and Witchcraft  (Read 3440 times)

Caffeinated Autumn

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Nov 2013
  • Posts: 116
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Recommended Books for Celtic Wicca and Witchcraft
« on: December 22, 2013, 01:10:49 am »
I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for authors who talk about Celtic Wicca and/or witchcraft. Right now I've been reading Scott Cunningham for basic Wicca info but I want to find other authors out there with the most credible information on these subjects.  I've heard D.J. Conway is one author to stay away from but I'm not sure. :confused:

Jack

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Apr 2012
  • Location: Cascadia
  • Posts: 3181
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 98
    • View Profile
    • Dwarvenpunk
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Recommended Books for Celtic Wicca and Witchcraft
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 03:54:43 am »
Quote from: Caffeinated Autumn;133454
I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for authors who talk about Celtic Wicca and/or witchcraft. Right now I've been reading Scott Cunningham for basic Wicca info but I want to find other authors out there with the most credible information on these subjects.  I've heard D.J. Conway is one author to stay away from but I'm not sure. :confused:

 
What are you thinking of when you refer to "Celtic Wicca"? Do you want Celtic resources to use with Wiccan rituals or something else? I think that might help get you more useful recommendations.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Micheál

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Location: Belfast, N. Ireland
  • Posts: 594
  • Country: ie
  • Total likes: 37
    • View Profile
    • Gall-Ghael
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
Re: Recommended Books for Celtic Wicca and Witchcraft
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 06:57:17 am »
:ange:
Quote from: Caffeinated Autumn;133454
I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for authors who talk about Celtic Wicca and/or witchcraft. Right now I've been reading Scott Cunningham for basic Wicca info but I want to find other authors out there with the most credible information on these subjects.  I've heard D.J. Conway is one author to stay away from but I'm not sure. :confused:

I think anything that you'll find on that subject will be authors' take on personal spiritualities. Seperately, there are books you can read about Wicca, and then on things Celtic, but since Wicca isn't Celtic that blend is something personal.

I'd recommend a book called "Irish Witchcraft from and Irish Witch," by Lora O'Brien that explains the differences between the two, however you can see in the Celtic field it's specifically Irish, and I'm not which Celtic culture you'd be interested in.

Sophia C

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Aug 2012
  • Location: London, UK
  • *
  • Posts: 2000
  • Country: gb
  • Total likes: 44
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Pagan and Christian heretic. Anglican, Druid, Gaelic-ish polytheist, some other influences
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
Re: Recommended Books for Celtic Wicca and Witchcraft
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 12:41:08 pm »
Quote from: Micheál;133559
I'd recommend a book called "Irish Witchcraft from and Irish Witch," by Lora O'Brien that explains the differences between the two, however you can see in the Celtic field it's specifically Irish, and I'm not which Celtic culture you'd be interested in.

 
I was going to recommend the same book. I'm not a Wiccan or witch, but I found it a really good book. A good example of blending of modern Pagan and local folk traditions.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Cabal

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Dec 2012
  • Location: Texas
  • Posts: 1344
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
Re: Recommended Books for Celtic Wicca and Witchcraft
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 01:56:14 pm »
Quote from: Caffeinated Autumn;133454
I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for authors who talk about Celtic Wicca and/or witchcraft. Right now I've been reading Scott Cunningham for basic Wicca info but I want to find other authors out there with the most credible information on these subjects.  I've heard D.J. Conway is one author to stay away from but I'm not sure. :confused:
If you are just looking for a good book on just Witchcraft then Mastering Witchcraft by Paul Huson is a great book!
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

Micheál

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Location: Belfast, N. Ireland
  • Posts: 594
  • Country: ie
  • Total likes: 37
    • View Profile
    • Gall-Ghael
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
Re: Recommended Books for Celtic Wicca and Witchcraft
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 02:39:08 pm »
Quote from: Naomi J;133622
I was going to recommend the same book. I'm not a Wiccan or witch, but I found it a really good book. A good example of blending of modern Pagan and local folk traditions.

I agree completely. Her second one is pretty good too :)

Oíche

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Nov 2012
  • Posts: 529
  • Country: ie
  • Total likes: 17
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Irish Polytheism/Druidry/Initiatory Witchcraft
Re: Recommended Books for Celtic Wicca and Witchcraft
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 08:10:28 pm »
Quote from: Micheál;133559
I'd recommend a book called "Irish Witchcraft from and Irish Witch," by Lora O'Brien that explains the differences between the two, however you can see in the Celtic field it's specifically Irish, and I'm not which Celtic culture you'd be interested in.

 
Gonna agree with the others and say this is an excellent book! :D
I have a copy of her latest one but haven't had the time to read it yet- might do that tomorrow now XD
'You're my friend, and I love you- but you really look like a witch!!'

Caffeinated Autumn

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Nov 2013
  • Posts: 116
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Recommended Books for Celtic Wicca and Witchcraft
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 01:18:34 pm »
Quote from: Micheál;133559
:ange:
I think anything that you'll find on that subject will be authors' take on personal spiritualities. Seperately, there are books you can read about Wicca, and then on things Celtic, but since Wicca isn't Celtic that blend is something personal.

I'd recommend a book called "Irish Witchcraft from and Irish Witch," by Lora O'Brien that explains the differences between the two, however you can see in the Celtic field it's specifically Irish, and I'm not which Celtic culture you'd be interested in.

 
Thank you for the recommendation! I'm interested in all Celtic cultures but if I had to choose I'd say Irish. Blending Wicca and Celtic culture, traditions, etc things like that (as mentioned by Jack) is what I'm also looking for. I'll definately check out the book though, sounds like a good place to start!

Allec

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Nov 2013
  • Posts: 38
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Recommended Books for Celtic Wicca and Witchcraft
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 11:05:53 pm »
Quote from: Caffeinated Autumn;134068
Thank you for the recommendation! I'm interested in all Celtic cultures but if I had to choose I'd say Irish. Blending Wicca and Celtic culture, traditions, etc things like that (as mentioned by Jack) is what I'm also looking for. I'll definately check out the book though, sounds like a good place to start!

 
A great precursor for all Celtic mythologies is probably Celtic Gods and Heroes by
Marie-Louise Sjoestedt. Also, Tairis' website has excellent sources. They'll be more on the side of historical and archeological than the spiritual, but it helps to form a base at the very least. (Also a focus on Gaelic culture and religion...which is my specific religion.)
"The only good is knowledge, the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

Spiritual and Religious Tumblr || My "About Allec" Page || My Religious Blogspot Blog ||Cross Quarterly Zine

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
1662 Views
Last post January 11, 2013, 07:10:13 pm
by Oíche
8 Replies
9360 Views
Last post June 11, 2014, 05:14:06 am
by Seren
6 Replies
1525 Views
Last post August 05, 2014, 07:18:10 pm
by mattkaru
8 Replies
1517 Views
Last post June 05, 2016, 08:36:22 pm
by YungMeatRabbit
8 Replies
2446 Views
Last post October 13, 2016, 05:04:23 pm
by Freesia

Beginner Area

Warning: You are currently in a Beginner Friendly area of the message board.

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 34
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal