collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Pagan Christianity  (Read 1248 times)

Rayne

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Oct 2012
  • Posts: 79
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Pagan Christianity
« on: November 01, 2012, 06:02:21 pm »
**I may have this in a place that is less appropriate than another place and if so please relocate it as it needs to be.**

I had a period 3 years ago where I was doing a lot of reading into the historical connections between paganism and Christianity, and this began out of curiosity when I was looking into the connections or lack thereof (depending on who is asked) between Brighid and St. Bridget.

At that time I found this book, "Pagan Christianity", and it answered a lot of questions my curiosity was thinking up. (from the 'Xyz in the Christian faiths resembles qrs I saw/read about/heard of in *pick a name paganism aspect*....hmm' approach)

And I've seen post here and on the archive board where people ask about integrating Jesus, Saints, Christian practices and faith elements with their pagan/Pagan paths. So since this book explains in detail how many elements of Christian worship got there in the first place and the pagan roots where applicable, I thought it might interest others.

I'm sure Amazon has copies for sale, but here's the link to the author's website as well.

http://www.paganchristianity.org/
For All That I Am..For All That I See
For All I\'m A Part Of..For All That Sees Me

Berserker

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Join Date: Sep 2012
  • Posts: 9
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Pagan Christianity
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 03:11:04 pm »
Quote from: Rayne;79190
**I may have this in a place that is less appropriate than another place and if so please relocate it as it needs to be.**

I had a period 3 years ago where I was doing a lot of reading into the historical connections between paganism and Christianity, and this began out of curiosity when I was looking into the connections or lack thereof (depending on who is asked) between Brighid and St. Bridget.

At that time I found this book, "Pagan Christianity", and it answered a lot of questions my curiosity was thinking up. (from the 'Xyz in the Christian faiths resembles qrs I saw/read about/heard of in *pick a name paganism aspect*....hmm' approach)

And I've seen post here and on the archive board where people ask about integrating Jesus, Saints, Christian practices and faith elements with their pagan/Pagan paths. So since this book explains in detail how many elements of Christian worship got there in the first place and the pagan roots where applicable, I thought it might interest others.

I'm sure Amazon has copies for sale, but here's the link to the author's website as well.

http://www.paganchristianity.org/

Yep !! many of the christian traditions are actually of a distorted pagan background. It was a choking discovery for me in the past. I think if you take away some fundamentalistic aspects, christianity can easily be successfully mixed with modern paganism.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 03:14:53 pm by Berserker »

Sarkana-night

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Sep 2012
  • Posts: 64
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Pagan Christianity
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 03:37:52 pm »
Quote from: Berserker;82297
Yep !! many of the christian traditions are actually of a distorted pagan background.

 
Like Christmas for examlpe!! It was only situated in December because of Vikings, Germanic and Celtic religions all had the same light-celebration, also known as Yule.
In Denmark, Norway and Sweden they still call it Jul, which is a varity of its root-word Yule. ;)

hlewagastir

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 205
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Pagan Christianity
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 04:14:36 pm »
Quote from: Sarkana-night;82298
Like Christmas for examlpe!! It was only situated in December because of Vikings, Germanic and Celtic religions all had the same light-celebration, also known as Yule.
In Denmark, Norway and Sweden they still call it Jul, which is a varity of its root-word Yule. ;)

 
And we are back to Koi´s "infamous post 33".

MadZealot

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Nov 2011
  • Location: So Cal
  • Posts: 2462
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 167
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Bitter Clinger. Sith Lord.
Re: Pagan Christianity
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 04:31:24 pm »
Quote from: hlewagastir;82304
And we are back to Koi´s "infamous post 33".

 
Just re-read it.  Damn that's good.
Spider Man 3 never happened. And Epstein didn't kill himself.

Sarkana-night

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Sep 2012
  • Posts: 64
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Pagan Christianity
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 04:53:43 pm »
Quote from: hlewagastir;82304
And we are back to Koi´s "infamous post 33".

 
Didn't even know that thread existed. Well, I guess I'm supposed to read it then... ;)

RandallS

  • Site Admin
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: NE Ohio
  • Posts: 10200
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 265
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Pagan Christianity
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 06:18:33 pm »
Quote from: hlewagastir;82304
And we are back to Koi´s "infamous post 33".

Koi had no idea how long that post would be referred to when she made it. :)
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free
OSR.SPACE: Old School Tabletop RPG Community

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
0 Replies
9338 Views
Last post January 09, 2012, 02:57:24 pm
by GaiaDianne
5 Replies
1255 Views
Last post September 01, 2012, 02:43:18 am
by Sophia C
43 Replies
3943 Views
Last post November 26, 2013, 10:58:48 pm
by Morag
12 Replies
3112 Views
Last post June 06, 2016, 08:10:52 am
by RecycledBenedict
4 Replies
1685 Views
Last post December 15, 2016, 12:14:57 am
by ehbowen

Beginner Area

Warning: You are currently in a Beginner Friendly area of the message board.

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 52
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall