Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: opinions of the following titles and or authors :  (Read 4249 times)

catja6

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: opinions of the following titles and or authors :
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 02:52:09 pm »
Quote from: spoOk;39090
oh....*face scrunch*....well neither of those sound very hopeful. sounds like Llewelyn buffet style.

If you're not trying to track down references, the Cunningham book works great as a collection of folk beliefs -- I've cross-checked his entries with several major compendiums of plant-lore by folklorists, and Cunningham is consistent.  (European plant-lore is not exactly a hot-and-happening field, so a lot of Cunningham's sources were from Victorian and earlier texts.)  So in that sense, it's a perfectly good reference for anyone who just needs the information contained.  Like Jennett said though, cross-check with an up-to-date medical herbalists' reference for safety info.

If you want something with extensive references, De Cleene and Lejeune's 2-volume Compendium of Symbolic and Ritual Plants in Europe is the most up-to-date source, but it's expensive.

spoOk

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2012, 01:28:26 am »
Quote from: catja6;39107
If you're not trying to track down references, the Cunningham book works great as a collection of folk beliefs -- I've cross-checked his entries with several major compendiums of plant-lore by folklorists, and Cunningham is consistent.  (European plant-lore is not exactly a hot-and-happening field, so a lot of Cunningham's sources were from Victorian and earlier texts.)  So in that sense, it's a perfectly good reference for anyone who just needs the information contained.  Like Jennett said though, cross-check with an up-to-date medical herbalists' reference for safety info.

If you want something with extensive references, De Cleene and Lejeune's 2-volume Compendium of Symbolic and Ritual Plants in Europe is the most up-to-date source, but it's expensive.

so anyone have anything to say about the first two books listed in my original post???
yeigh,neigh?
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

Smokebender

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2012, 02:05:16 pm »
Quote from: spoOk;38865

I'm a fan of magic that doesn't require deitys or full ritual to perform.
I like the idea of being able to use what's on hand and say the right things and think the right thinks and have the Ingredients thus work for me as I hoped.
I'm not a fan of ceremonial magic with alot of big words,big ceremony,big robes and calling on of big names....

but I have had my own luck doing up my own spell work/combinations of the right bits and peices and thought forms/intentions.

I know nothing of the books you have listed but based upon your words above,, Visual Magic by Jan Fries will fill the bill fine. The author isn't impressed by deities or ritual, unless you the reader are. There is a chapter that states since you communicate via your subconscious, your subconscious already knows what you want or am implying, thus you think long and hard about what you truly want. In the event you think your goal is to acquire wealth, you look deeper and decide whay you want wealth. If happiness is your ultimate goal, your subconscious relaizes this and  starts taking the appropriate steps to acquire the things that will make you happy.
For human folly is without limit though society does much to
disguise its darker side. Cynicism, sadness or laughter is the
magician\'s privilege. -  Peter Carrol / Liber Null

spoOk

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2012, 02:18:00 am »
Quote from: Smokebender;40634
I know nothing of the books you have listed but based upon your words above,, Visual Magic by Jan Fries will fill the bill fine. The author isn't impressed by deities or ritual, unless you the reader are. There is a chapter that states since you communicate via your subconscious, your subconscious already knows what you want or am implying, thus you think long and hard about what you truly want. In the event you think your goal is to acquire wealth, you look deeper and decide whay you want wealth. If happiness is your ultimate goal, your subconscious relaizes this and  starts taking the appropriate steps to acquire the things that will make you happy.

thanks for that,sounds interesting.
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

Tags: