collapse

Author Topic: Non-wiccan witchcraft learning books  (Read 3699 times)

Nixie-Tartarus

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Non-wiccan witchcraft learning books
« on: January 07, 2014, 12:25:53 pm »
I didn't see a thread on here for this so I figure I'd ask... Do any of you know some good witchcraft guidance books that do not include wicca in them? Like traditional witchcraft?
\'\'My mother says I must not pass, Too near that glass; She is afraid that I will see, A little witch that looks like me; With a red mouth to whisper low, The very thing I should not know”

NanLT

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://writingsofapaganwitch.wordpress.com/
Re: Non-wiccan witchcraft learning books
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 06:12:39 pm »
Quote from: Nixie-Tartarus;135444
I didn't see a thread on here for this so I figure I'd ask... Do any of you know some good witchcraft guidance books that do not include wicca in them? Like traditional witchcraft?

History books
Mythology books
Fairy tales
Just about any - ology book
Basic psychology
Any books which help you to know and understand yourself better
Books on physics quantum, chaos, etc once you move past the basics physics is rather more philosophical than anything else. "how to teach physics to your dog" is a good place to start.

Very few of the books that can teach you to be a witch actually have the word witch or witchcraft anywhere within their pages. Unless you're just looking for a "here is how you do a spell" recipe book. And those can't teach you how to be a witch.

Some books which helped me to form my understanding of magic and energy work over time:

Most of the Discworld books from Terry Pratchett (particularly here all of the books that include the Lancre witches and Small Gods, plus the Tiffany Aching series for children)

The Belgariad Series by David Eddings - which taught me, for every action there is a consequence, and - the future is never set in stone, and even if it was you can always break the stone

I include works of fiction because they did indeed help me in discovering what it is that I believe, and also because wisdom does not always have to come from "scholarly" works.

Works from nursing theorist Martha Rogers - The Science of Universal Human Beings (I've an article writtin on this subject I'm more than happy to share a link to if you want it)

More recently - The Biology of Belief - how our thoughts and beliefs affect us at a cellular level

Books on Qi Gong and on Energy Healing, including Reiki

The Dance of Anger - by Harriet Goldhor Lerner

and finally, while not written personal shamanic journey work has also taught me a great deal

Nixie-Tartarus

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 06:27:20 pm »
Quote from: NanLT;135492
History books
Mythology books
Fairy tales
Just about any - ology book
Basic psychology
Any books which help you to know and understand yourself better
Books on physics quantum, chaos, etc once you move past the basics physics is rather more philosophical than anything else. "how to teach physics to your dog" is a good place to start.

Very few of the books that can teach you to be a witch actually have the word witch or witchcraft anywhere within their pages. Unless you're just looking for a "here is how you do a spell" recipe book. And those can't teach you how to be a witch.

Some books which helped me to form my understanding of magic and energy work over time:

Most of the Discworld books from Terry Pratchett (particularly here all of the books that include the Lancre witches and Small Gods, plus the Tiffany Aching series for children)

The Belgariad Series by David Eddings - which taught me, for every action there is a consequence, and - the future is never set in stone, and even if it was you can always break the stone

I include works of fiction because they did indeed help me in discovering what it is that I believe, and also because wisdom does not always have to come from "scholarly" works.

Works from nursing theorist Martha Rogers - The Science of Universal Human Beings (I've an article writtin on this subject I'm more than happy to share a link to if you want it)

More recently - The Biology of Belief - how our thoughts and beliefs affect us at a cellular level

Books on Qi Gong and on Energy Healing, including Reiki

The Dance of Anger - by Harriet Goldhor Lerner

and finally, while not written personal shamanic journey work has also taught me a great deal

I am not looking for a book to do spells, that is not my interest and I have yet to attempt one yet. I am just trying to learn everything I can and I don't think there is anything wrong with that. I also don't believe there is anything wrong with asking questions. However, everyone learns differently and I am appreciate all your recommendations.
\'\'My mother says I must not pass, Too near that glass; She is afraid that I will see, A little witch that looks like me; With a red mouth to whisper low, The very thing I should not know”

NanLT

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 06:46:28 pm »
Quote from: Nixie-Tartarus;135496
I am not looking for a book to do spells, that is not my interest and I have yet to attempt one yet. I am just trying to learn everything I can and I don't think there is anything wrong with that. I also don't believe there is anything wrong with asking questions. However, everyone learns differently and I am appreciate all your recommendations.

I wasn't passing judgement. And you're absolutely right - there is nothing wrong with asking questions.

Sometimes though, the answer to a question is - there aren't any on the specific subject that I would recommend, but here are some others that I think would serve a seeker better.

NanLT

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 06:47:59 pm »
Quote from: NanLT;135492

This should actually read: The Science of Unitary Human Beings.

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 06:50:06 pm »

Could you clear up what you mean by 'guidance' books? Like, what are you wanting to learn?

SerpentineSorcerer

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://abracadabra-macabre.tumblr.com/
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 07:10:11 pm »

The Roebuck in the Thicket: An Anthology of the Robert Cochrane Witchcraft Tradition
by Evan John Jones, Robert Cochrane, Michael Howard

Cunning Folk and Familiar Spirits: Shamanistic Visionary Traditions in Early Modern British Witchcraft and Magic
by Emma Wilby

The Call of the Horned Piper
by Nigel Jackson

The Forge of Tubal Cain (Paperback)
by Ann Finnin

Treading the Mill: Practical CraftWorking in Modern Traditional Witchcraft (Paperback)
by Nigel G. Pearson

Familiar Spirits: A Practical Guide for Witches & Magicians (Paperback)
by Donald Tyson

The Witching Way of the Hollow Hill (Paperback)
by Robin Artisson

These are just a few titles off the top of my head that should give you a good look into some forms of traditional witchcraft
"Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal"

"Life is not separate from death. It only looks that way."

Nixie-Tartarus

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 11:31:08 pm »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;135499
Could you clear up what you mean by 'guidance' books? Like, what are you wanting to learn?

That's the problem I don't really know... I'm not ready to practice any kind of magick or spells. I was just hoping for some books that explain their beliefs so I would know if I fit in with them or not.

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 11:50:15 pm »

The absolute first resource I would recommend is this: Witchcraft From The Ground Up.

It's not all witchcraft, and certainly not deeply traditional. It starts out with psionics, picks a little from New Ageism, a little from ceremonial magick--so, it's not at all in-depth and might even be appropriative. I've even outgrown a lot of the theories it has about how witchcraft even works. But it's practical, and a good starting point, I think. And, well, it's free information. Yay.

I mentioned in another one of your threads how much I absolutely adore Penczak, despite how problematic he is with cultural stuff. He has a clear Wiccan basis, but doesn't stick to it very strictly because I also see echoes of modern traditions such as chaos magick and psionics, especially in Instant Magick (very heavy on psionics, this one, and I consider this intermediate between Witchcraft From the Ground Up and wherever else you'd take it).
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 11:51:12 pm by Faemon »
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Nixie-Tartarus

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 12:27:46 am »
Quote from: triple_entendre;135541
The absolute first resource I would recommend is this: Witchcraft From The Ground Up.

It's not all witchcraft, and certainly not deeply traditional. It starts out with psionics, picks a little from New Ageism, a little from ceremonial magick--so, it's not at all in-depth and might even be appropriative. I've even outgrown a lot of the theories it has about how witchcraft even works. But it's practical, and a good starting point, I think. And, well, it's free information. Yay.

I mentioned in another one of your threads how much I absolutely adore Penczak, despite how problematic he is with cultural stuff. He has a clear Wiccan basis, but doesn't stick to it very strictly because I also see echoes of modern traditions such as chaos magick and psionics, especially in Instant Magick (very heavy on psionics, this one, and I consider this intermediate between Witchcraft From the Ground Up and wherever else you'd take it).

Thanks for all the info! Definitely going to look into it.

I just want everyone to understand, that it doesn't matter to me to start doing magick right away... I could go another year just reading about it until I feel 100% confident in what my belief is and my capabilities are. This is the only reason I asked for information... I believe I've asked about 2-3 different paths because I'm still contemplating everything. I appreciate all your patients with me.

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • Religion: Norse/Germanic Polytheists
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 08:08:10 am »

Scarlet Imprint has a wonder selection of books by those who practice traditional witchcraft but most do not have information on spells and such as much as philosophy. Apocalyptic Witchcraft by Peter Grey is a fantastic book and I recommend an witch read it. Also, Gemma Gary is writer but I have yet to read any of her books.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 08:09:20 am by Holdasown »

Tags: