collapse
2020 Donation Drive

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise at least $710 to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 30 October 2020: $610 donated. Only $100 more needed! Thank you, donors!

Note: This total is updated manually, usually once a day

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Non-Amazon Paypal-Friendly Ebook Shops?  (Read 1461 times)

schweinsty

• View Profile
Non-Amazon Paypal-Friendly Ebook Shops?
« on: August 25, 2013, 11:47:40 pm »
I'm still relatively new to Paganism, and, as any good geek, I'm trying to build my library up a bit :). I have to rely on my kindle to collect books, as I can't keep physical copies at the moment, and I don't have a credit card I can use regularly, so I do most of my online shopping with paypal and, thus, can't really use amazon on a regular basis (as I don't have a paypal debit card either).  

That said, are there any pagan ebook publishers or stores online that any of you could recommend? The ones I've found seem geared more towards Wicca, which, while I am interested in learning a bit more about, is not my main focus. I'm more interested in Celtic or Heathen eclectic Paganism, with more info on rituals and worship, or anything on eclectic or solitary Paganism in general. I'm also hugely interested in kitchen witchcraft and non-Wiccan witchery. I would also like some good introductions to Wicca, but the ones I've heard the most of, like Cunningham and The Spiral Dance, I have only been able to find on Amazon. Anything from beginner to a more in-depth level would be fine.

Any recs would be appreciated.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Dwarvenpunk
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Non-Amazon Paypal-Friendly Ebook Shops?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 12:05:47 am »
Quote from: schweinsty;119981
That said, are there any pagan ebook publishers or stores online that any of you could recommend?

Asphodel Press and some of the other small publishers use Lulu. Immanion Press and Bibliotheca Alexandrina use Smashwords, you can probably find some other pagan books on there, too. I've bought directly from Scarlet Imprint, too.

You might also want to consider one of those prepaid Visa cards that work like credit cards, if there are kindle books you really want.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

schweinsty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 12:20:13 am »
Quote from: Jack;119985
Asphodel Press and some of the other small publishers use Lulu. Immanion Press and Bibliotheca Alexandrina use Smashwords, you can probably find some other pagan books on there, too. I've bought directly from Scarlet Imprint, too.

You might also want to consider one of those prepaid Visa cards that work like credit cards, if there are kindle books you really want.

Oh, I hadn't even thought of Lulu or Smashwords - thanks!

I'm still debating a prepaid card, due to some mental health issues (mania and credit cards do not go well together :P), but perhaps I can use one in the futuer. Until then, thanks for the recs :).

Vale

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 04:46:09 am »
I'm still relatively new to Paganism, and, as any good geek, I'm trying to build my library up a bit :). I have to rely on my kindle to collect books, as I can't keep physical copies at the moment, and I don't have a credit card I can use regularly, so I do most of my online shopping with paypal and, thus, can't really use amazon on a regular basis (as I don't have a paypal debit card either).  

Some of the publishers themselves will sell directly from their own webpages and they will often take paypal. It's worth a look anyway.

I know Pendraig does but the other esoteric ones I use regularly are in the UK (and non wiccan) so won't be much good to you.  

Even the big secondhand sellers on the likes of Amazon and ABEbooks may have their own sites where they do take paypal ( or if they don't it's worth dropping them an email asking them if they would)

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Non-Amazon Paypal-Friendly Ebook Shops?
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 07:00:42 am »
Any recs would be appreciated.

There's a Facebook page called Pagan E-Books for Free that lists a wide variety of e-books that Amazon temporarily (sometimes just for 1day) offers for free. While many of the books they list don't interest me, there are enough that do for me to keep the page in my feed.  I've downloaded a lot of books -- both fiction and non-fiction -- this way.

Amazon also has a pretty long list of free books in its Kindle store, including some on mythology and other topics that you might be interested in. It's worth a look, anyway.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Pagan and Christian heretic. Anglican, Druid, Gaelic-ish polytheist, some other influences
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 07:03:14 am »
Quote from: schweinsty;119986
Oh, I hadn't even thought of Lulu or Smashwords - thanks!

I'm still debating a prepaid card, due to some mental health issues (mania and credit cards do not go well together :P), but perhaps I can use one in the futuer. Until then, thanks for the recs :).

Scarlet Imprint - http://www.scarletimprint.com/ - is a wonderful publisher which specializes in just a few really excellent books. They are expensive, but their PDF versions are cheaper, and they accept Paypal payment.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

schweinsty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 08:23:34 pm »
Quote from: Naomi J;120026
Scarlet Imprint - http://www.scarletimprint.com/ - is a wonderful publisher which specializes in just a few really excellent books. They are expensive, but their PDF versions are cheaper, and they accept Paypal payment.

Thanks, everyone :). I'd already friended Pagan E-books, but I'll definitely check out pendraig and scarletimprint, as well as searching in individual publishing sites. Thanks for the help!

Tags: