Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Today at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Today at 07:44:49 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:21:31 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

Author Topic: Mount TBR  (Read 8590 times)

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Mount TBR
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2019, 06:28:00 pm »

• The Essential Kabbalah: The Heart of Jewish Mysticism by Daniel C. Matt (I have skimmed, quoted, and recommended this book, but never properly finished it)

After seeing your post, I spotted this at the thrift store and it followed me home. I'm not even into Kabbalah. (Side note: the cashier had a pentagram necklace on and started skimming the book while ringing it up, LOL)[/list]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

TheGreenWizard

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2019, 11:07:12 pm »
You do not need to share your entire list! (Mine is also overwhelming that front). Pick one or two that you're particularly interested in, or think would be cool to mention, or whatever else is not as overwhelming.

In that case... here's my attenuated list of books:
  • The Homeric Hymns. Second Edition. Translation, Introduction, and Notes by Apostolos N Athanassakis. ISBN: 0-8018-7983-3
  • The Orphic Hymns. Translation, Introduction, and Notes by Apostolos N Athanassakis and Benjamin M Wolkow. ISBN: 978-1-4214-0881-1
  • The Complete World of Greek Mythology. By Richard Buxton. ISBN: 978-0-500-25121-8
Those are the top three on my list - mainly because I'm trying to incorporate more Hellenismos into my practices, and also to see what works in said practices. Hopefully I'll get some insight with the upcoming Full Moon.
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
  • Religion: Modern Dionysian hero cultus and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2019, 11:17:50 pm »
After seeing your post, I spotted this at the thrift store and it followed me home. I'm not even into Kabbalah. (Side note: the cashier had a pentagram necklace on and started skimming the book while ringing it up, LOL)

Oh, excellent.

I find it is a very readable book, full of bite-sized chunks of fascinating mysticism, so I'm not surprised. :)
"The peacock can show its whole tail at once, but I can only tell you a story."
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

TsundokuTeaTime

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Left Hand Path with a dash of Polytheism
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her they/them
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2019, 04:09:16 am »
I'm sure I'm not the only person with a pile of things on my to-be-read list. What's on your's?

(This is in the religion and philosophy portion of the forum, so specifically, what's on your list that's related to your religious or spiritual life or practices or magic, or anything else along those lines, broadly defined.)

I'm totally living in a mini library of my own making. Though Ebooks have given me room to breathe, there's nothing like holding a book and that smell that wafts up from the pages and cover. Mingles well with tea. Though there is a characteristic scent when paired with things like brandy or whiskey.

I've already added two or three things at least that people have mentioned to Mount TBR.

Currently, I'm reading Lovecraft for a break. Then going back to Strategic Sorcery by Jason Miller.

Magical Use of Thought Forms: A Proven System of Mental & Spiritual Empowerment by Dolores Ashcroft-Nowicki and J. H. Brennan.

Communing With the Spirits: The Magical Practice of Necromancy by Martin Coleman. For some reason I want LeVar Burton to be reading for the audiobook version(if one exists).

Greek and Roman Necromancy by Daniel Ogden.

Picked up a lot of mythology books lately as well.

There's also a big pile of texts on Taoist magical practices and many things Tao. Let's not talk about my Ebook stash. That has gotten so out of hand.  I forgot to mention that I usually have an arsenal of folklore to read and didn't even bother including it.
“It is not necessary for the public to know whether I am joking or whether I am serious, just as it is not necessary for me to know it myself." ~Salvador Dali

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2019, 06:43:57 pm »
I'm totally living in a mini library of my own making. Though Ebooks have given me room to breathe, there's nothing like holding a book and that smell that wafts up from the pages and cover. Mingles well with tea. Though there is a characteristic scent when paired with things like brandy or whiskey.

For me, it's being able to get into a really comfortable reading position and not having to worry about battery life/cable length/screen lighting.  ;D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

TheGreenWizard

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2019, 12:10:08 pm »
In that case... here's my attenuated list of books:
  • The Homeric Hymns. Second Edition. Translation, Introduction, and Notes by Apostolos N Athanassakis. ISBN: 0-8018-7983-3
  • The Orphic Hymns. Translation, Introduction, and Notes by Apostolos N Athanassakis and Benjamin M Wolkow. ISBN: 978-1-4214-0881-1
  • The Complete World of Greek Mythology. By Richard Buxton. ISBN: 978-0-500-25121-8
Those are the top three on my list - mainly because I'm trying to incorporate more Hellenismos into my practices, and also to see what works in said practices. Hopefully I'll get some insight with the upcoming Full Moon.
Gonna add one more:
  • White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism. Robin DiAngelo. ISBN-13: 978-0807047415.
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go

Tags:

Beginner Area

Warning: You are currently in a Beginner Friendly area of the message board.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 186
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Allaya, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Ashmire, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

'Up All Night' Coordinator:
Altair

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Chatelaine, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal