collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Magical or Folkloric Resources about Live Oak Trees  (Read 2277 times)

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
Magical or Folkloric Resources about Live Oak Trees
« on: September 21, 2013, 01:04:52 pm »
I'm looking for resources referring to any magical, folkloric, or mythical aspects of Southern Live Oak trees (Quercus virginiana), but my Google-Fu seems to be failing.  Does anyone have any thoughts on possible resources or places to look for a reference?  

While I'm looking for general information, anything specific to Hoodoo, Louisiana Voodoo or Haitian Vodou would be particularly welcome.

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Viv

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Magical or Folkloric Resources about Live Oak Trees
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 04:21:11 pm »
Quote from: Aisling;122517
I'm looking for resources referring to any magical, folkloric, or mythical aspects of Southern Live Oak trees (Quercus virginiana), but my Google-Fu seems to be failing.  Does anyone have any thoughts on possible resources or places to look for a reference?  

While I'm looking for general information, anything specific to Hoodoo, Louisiana Voodoo or Haitian Vodou would be particularly welcome.

I can't speak on the magical, mythical aspects just yet (need to keep looking) but I do know that there are some specific Southern Live Oaks in Florida that are said to be pretty old and spectacular. Years ago a friend of mine on another Pagan forum visited them. She was blown away by the energy they gave off. The two she loved the most were: the Fairchild Oak in the Bulow state park and the Saftey Harbor aka Baranoff Oak. One of the two is over 400 years old.

As far as folklore, Voodoo, or the like goes...I'll keep looking and try to get back in touch with my old friend to see if she has additional info.

Sorry I couldn't give you more at the moment.
"As every cat lover knows, nobody owns a cat." ~Ellen Perry Berkeley

AKA: windshadow; hesperia

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 04:32:31 pm »
Quote from: windshadow;122529
I can't speak on the magical, mythical aspects just yet (need to keep looking) but I do know that there are some specific Southern Live Oaks in Florida that are said to be pretty old and spectacular. Years ago a friend of mine on another Pagan forum visited them. She was blown away by the energy they gave off. The two she loved the most were: the Fairchild Oak in the Bulow state park and the Saftey Harbor aka Baranoff Oak. One of the two is over 400 years old.

As far as folklore, Voodoo, or the like goes...I'll keep looking and try to get back in touch with my old friend to see if she has additional info.

Sorry I couldn't give you more at the moment.

Thanks for checking on it.  

The trees can be quite spectacular, particularly the older ones.  My reaction to seeing one in person for the first time was, to paraphrase a certain cartoon, "There's a lot of nature in that tree."  Their energy is really amazing.

Neil deGrasse Tyson

Viv

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 05:49:34 pm »

Just heard back from my friend. She suggested looking into the voodoo loa, Loco. She has heard stories of voodoo practitioners tying bags of offerings to him to the branches of southern live oaks and other trees in New Orleans. She says the offerings are usually from healers asking for his help with their workings.

Hope that info helps give you at least something to googlefoo on :)

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 06:43:58 pm »
Quote from: windshadow;122541
Just heard back from my friend. She suggested looking into the voodoo loa, Loco. She has heard stories of voodoo practitioners tying bags of offerings to him to the branches of southern live oaks and other trees in New Orleans. She says the offerings are usually from healers asking for his help with their workings.

Hope that info helps give you at least something to googlefoo on :)

Thanks Windshadow.  Every little bit helps!

Neil deGrasse Tyson

NiDara

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheism, Clann Bhride
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her they/them
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 10:33:15 pm »

I can't really offer anything as far as folklore or magical resources in regards to theses types of trees. I will say they definitely have a magical feel to them. A famous one, called The Big Tree, is in Rockport, Texas and is estimated to be 1,000 to 2,000 years old. They have supports for its enormous branches and a fence to keep people from messing with it. While it's unfortunate that you can't get near it, just standing in front of it is awe-inspiring. There's a standing plaque with a poem about all of the events it's seen over the years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Tree,_Rockport

ethelwulf

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 02:38:05 am »
Quote from: Amber Seal;122550
I can't really offer anything as far as folklore or magical resources in regards to theses types of trees. I will say they definitely have a magical feel to them. A famous one, called The Big Tree, is in Rockport, Texas and is estimated to be 1,000 to 2,000 years old. They have supports for its enormous branches and a fence to keep people from messing with it. While it's unfortunate that you can't get near it, just standing in front of it is awe-inspiring. There's a standing plaque with a poem about all of the events it's seen over the years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Tree,_Rockport

I have been to the tree you are talking about in Rockport. It is near to where I live and it is beautiful.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 08:23:00 am »
I'm looking for resources referring to any magical, folkloric, or mythical aspects of Southern Live Oak trees (Quercus virginiana), but my Google-Fu seems to be failing.

Parts of the tree have been used for medicine. I don't know of any specific magical uses.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 09:42:32 am »
Quote from: RandallS;122569
Parts of the tree have been used for medicine. I don't know of any specific magical uses.

Medical and horticultural references have been the only things that I've really been able to turn up so far.  

Fortunately, this is just a case of me trying to satisfy my curiosity and not a case of having to find the information.

Neil deGrasse Tyson

Viv

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 03:40:03 pm »
Quote from: Aisling;122545
Thanks Windshadow.  Every little bit helps!

Your most welcome :)

Tags: