Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:21:31 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

[Today at 07:04:14 pm]

[Today at 06:56:16 pm]

Author Topic: Looking for books about Celtic irish paganism  (Read 3200 times)

Speirbhean

• View Profile
Looking for books about Celtic irish paganism
« on: January 10, 2017, 08:24:22 pm »
So Im trying to find a great book on Irish celtic pagan gods and religous practices.  Or even somthing about pagan irish history.  I have ordered a couple of books so far.

I have bought 2 books so far.  I got a copy of the Mabinogion, I know this is welsh so its not 100% relevant I dont think but I got it anyway cause Ill probably want to learn all the aspects of celtic culture I can eventually.  Its by Jeffery Gantz.

Also got Irish Druids and Old Irish Religions by James Bonwick.  I think this one Is on the suggested reading list I found on this site somewhere.

I just recently learned about the Lebor Gabála Érenn while researching my patron goddess Morrigan.  According to what I have maneged at learn about the book it seems like required reading if its all the wikipedia article hypes it up to be.

I would love to know if there is a specific book centered around Morrigan thats worth picking up.  There are a few I have found but dont know much about the authors.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 08:26:12 pm by Speirbhean »

NiDara

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheism, Clann Bhride
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her they/them
Re: Looking for books about Celtic irish paganism
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 09:59:56 pm »
Quote from: Speirbhean;201302
So Im trying to find a great book on Irish celtic pagan gods and religous practices.  Or even somthing about pagan irish history.  I have ordered a couple of books so far.

I have bought 2 books so far.  I got a copy of the Mabinogion, I know this is welsh so its not 100% relevant I dont think but I got it anyway cause Ill probably want to learn all the aspects of celtic culture I can eventually.  Its by Jeffery Gantz.

Also got Irish Druids and Old Irish Religions by James Bonwick.  I think this one Is on the suggested reading list I found on this site somewhere.

I just recently learned about the Lebor Gabála Érenn while researching my patron goddess Morrigan.  According to what I have maneged at learn about the book it seems like required reading if its all the wikipedia article hypes it up to be.

I would love to know if there is a specific book centered around Morrigan thats worth picking up.  There are a few I have found but dont know much about the authors.

https://www.amazon.com/Book-Great-Queen-Morrigan-Devotions/dp/0990392716/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1484103215&sr=8-3&keywords=The+morrigan

https://www.amazon.com/Pagan-Portals-Morrigan-Meeting-Queens-ebook/dp/B00PYXFJLI/ref=cm_rdp_product_img I've seen both books highly recommended within the Gaelic Polytheist community, as both authors give good historical information and research in them.

Speirbhean

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 10:20:58 pm »
Quote from: Nic an Dair;201303
https://www.amazon.com/Book-Great-Queen-Morrigan-Devotions/dp/0990392716/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1484103215&sr=8-3&keywords=The+morrigan

https://www.amazon.com/Pagan-Portals-Morrigan-Meeting-Queens-ebook/dp/B00PYXFJLI/ref=cm_rdp_product_img I've seen both books highly recommended within the Gaelic Polytheist community, as both authors give good historical information and research in them.

Thanks.  Ill pick up that second one first just cause its less expensive for a physical copy.

I also got a copy of the Táin Bó Cúailnge and the Lebor Gabála Érenn just cause.  If anything I imagine they are culturaly important I would think.

Wisp

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 11:53:12 pm »
Quote from: Speirbhean;201304
Thanks.  Ill pick up that second one first just cause its less expensive for a physical copy.

I also got a copy of the Táin Bó Cúailnge and the Lebor Gabála Érenn just cause.  If anything I imagine they are culturaly important I would think.

Just so you know, not that it's a bad thing, but Pagan Portals books typically end up being 100 pages or less. The Morrigan book from Pagan Portals, as far as I remember though, was really packed with information. I personally highly recommend "Celtic Lore and Spellcraft of the Dark Goddess: Invoking the Morrigan" by Stephanie Woodfield, which breaks down lots of info on her as a Triple Goddess and many of her aspects, such as being a warrior goddess and earth goddess, etc. Though I haven't read the Great Queen Morrigan book as mentioned earlier, so I'll have to check that out as well.

Also, if you haven't yet heard of her, you should watch some of Joey Morris's youtube videos on the Morrigan. She deals with a lot of in depth personal experiences with The Morrigan, beyond her mythology, and I've found her videos to be just as informative, if not moreso, than her books. A playlist with her Morrigan videos can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3ulE-4RL3giOopeLHRDAGOy9f5a1nOaD
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 11:56:14 pm by Wisp »

Oíche

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Irish Polytheism/Druidry/Initiatory Witchcraft
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 04:05:40 pm »

Quite honestly, we don't have a lot of actual solid information on what the ancient Irish believed and practiced, we can only go by the interpretation of the archaeology and the later literature that survives in the form of Irish Mythology.

'Celtic' is also a very broad term, the actual cultures that fall under it can be very different so bear this in mind when researching. :)
Be careful to not fall into the idea of a 'Celtic Pantheon', it doesn't really exist- it's far more regional than that :D:

I could recommend a huge bunch of books, but here's a few that I would start with.

For the Morrígain I recommend The Book of the Great Queen (Morpheus Ravenna)
Very well researched and sourced!

I also recommend the following Pagan Portal books:
- Pagan Portals - The Morrigan: Meeting the Great Queens (Morgan Daimler)
- Pagan Portals - Irish Paganism: Reconstructing Irish Polytheism (Morgan Daimler)
- Pagan Portals - Gods and Goddesses of Ireland: A Guide to Irish Deities (Morgan Daimler)
- Pagan Portals - Brigid: Meeting The Celtic Goddess Of Poetry, Forge, And Healing Well (Morgan Daimler)

Morgan's books are very well cited and researched- the Pagan Portal books she has published are bursting with great information and they are inexpensive.

I would recommend these books also:
- A Practical Guide to Irish Spirituality (Lora O' Brien)
- Celtic Mythology (Proinsias MacCana)
- Ancient Irish Tales (Cross and Slover)
- Early Irish Myths and Sagas (Jeffrey Gantz)
- The Celtic Heroic Age (Koch and Carey)- this is essential I think!
- The Tain (Thomas Kinsella)

This one is a bit more academic, but I can't recommend it more highly:
- An Introduction to Early Irish Literature (Muireann Ní Bhrolcháin)

I would avoid anything written by D.J Conway or Etain McCoy also.

I would also recommend Lora O' Brien, Morgan Daimler and Morpheus Ravenna over Joey Morris personally. They all have excellent blogs too. :)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 04:11:21 pm by Oíche »
'You're my friend, and I love you- but you really look like a witch!!'

Speirbhean

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 05:08:38 pm »
Quote from: Cág;201324
I could recommend a huge bunch of books, but here's a few that I would start with:
- Pagan Portals - The Morrigan: Meeting the Great Queens (Morgan Daimler)

- Early Irish Myths and Sagas (Jeffrey Gantz)
- The Tain (Thomas Kinsella)

Ill look into the other books you suggested, but these I already have.  By the same authors, only difference is that my copy of The Tain is by Ciaran Carson.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 01:36:24 am »
So Im trying to find a great book on Irish celtic pagan gods and religous practices.  Or even somthing about pagan irish history.

If you haven't yet found Hazel and Oak, our Celtic Polytheism SIG forum, many of the threads there discuss various books.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Oíche

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Irish Polytheism/Druidry/Initiatory Witchcraft
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 01:07:07 pm »
Quote from: Speirbhean;201330
Ill look into the other books you suggested, but these I already have.  By the same authors, only difference is that my copy of The Tain is by Ciaran Carson.

Excellent! Yes, Ciaran Carson's translation is also very good. I just haven't read it personally yet (I really should!) because I normally go with Kinsella. Or the more academic O' Rahilly translation mainly because it has the Old Irish original text included. :)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 01:08:01 pm by Oíche »
'You're my friend, and I love you- but you really look like a witch!!'

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 12:05:00 am »
So Im trying to find a great book on Irish celtic pagan gods and religous practices.  Or even somthing about pagan irish history.  

You've gotten a lot of great suggestions already. But I wanted to also point to the CR FAQ reading list, found at http://paganachd.com/faq/readinglist.html.  This list has been around for a while, and I'm not sure if the authors are updating it, but it's a very good place to start learning about Celtic history and religion.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Tags: