Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:04:14 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 06:56:16 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Yei
[Today at 06:56:00 pm]

Author Topic: Looking for book recommendations  (Read 3590 times)

deadlyxnightshade

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Looking for book recommendations
« on: May 24, 2013, 11:32:39 pm »
First, I'm looking for some good books on meditation, preferably ones that could help me learn how to. I'd like to eventually be able to journey. Right now, though, I just can't get the hang of meditation in general, and don't know where to begin. If anyone could recommend something, I'd really appreciate it.

Also, I'm very interested in faeries, so if anyone knows any good books on faeries, that would be great.

Thanks very much!

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Looking for book recommendations
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 08:39:39 am »
Quote from: deadlyxnightshade;109771
First, I'm looking for some good books on meditation, preferably ones that could help me learn how to. I'd like to eventually be able to journey. Right now, though, I just can't get the hang of meditation in general, and don't know where to begin. If anyone could recommend something, I'd really appreciate it.

Here are a couple of books I've seen recommended a lot. I've never read them, so I can't personally recommend them.

Meditation for Beginners by Jack Kornfield

Quiet Mind: A Beginner's Guide to Meditation edited by Susan Piver
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 09:35:58 am »

On meditation, the book I recommend most is Diana Paxson's Trance-portation. (Sort of silly title, very practical book).

The style doesn't work for everyone, but it's a great introduction to a variety of key skills, has a lot of "This isn't working for me, what else can I do" advice, and then shows you how to develop what you know into various other practices (including journey work). It also has excellent safety and related tips, and it's been tested with a wide variety of people.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 09:38:53 am »
Quote from: RandallS;109784
Here are a couple of books I've seen recommended a lot. I've never read them, so I can't personally recommend them.

The Kornfield book is pretty good. Are you looking for general books on meditation? If you're specifically looking for books that approach from a pagan POV, Jenett's probably got the right idea.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 12:48:29 pm »

Also, I'm very interested in faeries, so if anyone knows any good books on faeries, that would be great.

Thanks very much!

In terms of meditation, I really enjoyed Nimue Brown's Druidry and Meditation. Even though she talks about modern druidry quite a bit, the exercises are relevant to anyone coming from a Pagan background, especially people with an interest in land-based spirituality (but not even exclusively that). She takes the reader through different levels of work, from basic and foundational (breathing exercises, beginning visualisation, basic active meditation, creative work) to more advanced or more specific (working with land spirits, pathworking, connecting with ancestors, etc). I've recommended it to a lot of people who aren't into druidry, and they've all found exercises that they've enjoyed.

Now, fair folk. Which representation of them interests you? If you're interested in records of Celtic folk belief, you might like The Fairy Faith in Celtic Countries - it's a difficult read, given the age of the book, but it's very worthwhile. If you prefer a modern take on them, try Signe Pike's Faerie Tale - it's really more about her journey seeking them than it is actually about them, but it's a lovely, enchanting piece of spiritual writing. Beyond those, I recommend you have a look through the Celtic Reconstructionist reading list on paganachd.com, as you'll find tales of the fair folk buried in lots of the folk tales and social histories that they list there.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

deadlyxnightshade

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 09:32:33 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;109784

Both of these look really interesting and very helpful, thank you.

deadlyxnightshade

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 09:35:43 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;109790
On meditation, the book I recommend most is Diana Paxson's Trance-portation. (Sort of silly title, very practical book).

This one also sounds really great. I'm always getting jealous of my fiance because he figured out what worked for him rather quickly...this might help me figure something out.

deadlyxnightshade

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 09:38:42 pm »
Quote from: Jack;109791
The Kornfield book is pretty good. Are you looking for general books on meditation? If you're specifically looking for books that approach from a pagan POV, Jenett's probably got the right idea.

I'm considering all types of books, but yeah, a pagan POV is what I find a little more interesting. Sorry for not being more specific... I'm kind of new to all of this.

deadlyxnightshade

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 09:47:20 pm »
Quote from: Sophia Catherine;109825
In terms of meditation, I really enjoyed Nimue Brown's Druidry and Meditation.

Now, fair folk. Which representation of them interests you? .

The Druidry book sounds wonderful as well... now the hard part is going to be narrowing down to which of all these books I actually want to get!

As for faeries... it's harder to be specific there. I'm interested in all kinds of representations of them. They're really what lead me down the pagan path. I've read "The Fairy Faith in Celtic Countries"... it was quite interesting. A lot of that reading list looks good... good thing I can be a bit of a bookworm.

AradiaRose

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 11:25:56 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;109790

The style doesn't work for everyone, but it's a great introduction to a variety of key skills, has a lot of "This isn't working for me, what else can I do" advice, and then shows you how to develop what you know into various other practices (including journey work). It also has excellent safety and related tips, and it's been tested with a wide variety of people.

I second this. Jenett, I think I initially found this book because you mentioned it in a similar thread a while ago. Great book, fantastic practical examples - I found it less dry or "serious" than other books or recordings I've used for reference. This made it much more accessible to me as, while I love to embrace my spirituality, my attention span is very short when it comes to the unnecessarily complex and somber. Also, it's available as an ebook, which I appreciated as I'm moving toward a more minimalist and Eco-friendly  lifestyle
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

When the soul lies down in that grass the world is too full to talk about.Rumi

Blogging at: aradiarose.tumblr.com

KayeMacArthur

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 12:00:14 am »

This list by Sarah Lawless will be of interest to you, then.
Kaye | Pagan | Witch | Folklore Fiend
The Crow and the Hound
Walking Encyclopedia of Weirdness

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 02:48:46 am »
Quote from: KayeMacArthur;109904

Ooh, interesting list. Thanks for linking that.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Looking for book recommendations
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 05:16:23 am »
First, I'm looking for some good books on meditation, preferably ones that could help me learn how to.

You might be interested in looking into a technique called Active Imagination. It was developed by Jung, and it's a technique I've had a lot of success with.  There's a lot online, so you don't really need a book to get started with it, although there are also good books out there, if you prefer.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 10:07:13 am »
Quote from: KayeMacArthur;109904

I would add to that list Orion Foxwood's work, The Faery Teachings and The Tree of Enchantment.  He's worked with Stewart (mentioned there, hence my thinking of it) but I believe his own thing is his own thing.

... man, I need to read some Stewart.  Sigh.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Zeno

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 10:26:01 pm »

Thanks very much!

Don't know much about faerie books, but when it comes to learning how to meditate I recommend "Where Ever You Go, There You Are" by Jon Kabat-Zinn

Tags: