collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Herbal Reference Book  (Read 1819 times)

TheBespectacledNerd

  • Sr. Newbie
  • **
  • Join Date: Jan 2013
  • Posts: 13
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bespectaclednerd.blogspot.com
Herbal Reference Book
« on: April 28, 2013, 04:08:23 am »
I'm looking for a good reference book on herbs.  The one I see recommended all the time is Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs, but that's also the one I see being decried all the time.

One of the biggest issues with Cunningham's book seems to be that he doesn't warn readers about the dangers of some herbs, especially in relation to pregnancy, medications, and stuff like that.  But for someone who already knows that stuff, would it be a good book just as a reference for magic?  Or is there something else you would recommend?
http://www.bespectaclednerd.blogspot.com

My fund for getting away from my abusive family: http://www.gofundme.com/47zyu4

Also?  I can kill you with my brain.

RandallS

  • Site Admin
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: NE Ohio
  • Posts: 10221
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 272
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Herbal Reference Book
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 07:46:11 am »
Quote from: TheBespectacledNerd;106946
One of the biggest issues with Cunningham's book seems to be that he doesn't warn readers about the dangers of some herbs, especially in relation to pregnancy, medications, and stuff like that.  But for someone who already knows that stuff, would it be a good book just as a reference for magic?  Or is there something else you would recommend?

For just magic, it's not bad. But then if you just want it for magic and are willing to ignore all info on consuming herbs, Culpepper's Complete Herbal is very good. It was published in the 1650s, but is fairly easy to find today. Just check a modern herbal for accurate info on the dangers of a herb before actually consuming anything (or runbbing something on you or the like).
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

catja6

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 380
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Herbal Reference Book
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 02:46:24 pm »
Quote from: TheBespectacledNerd;106946
I'm looking for a good reference book on herbs.  The one I see recommended all the time is Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs, but that's also the one I see being decried all the time.

One of the biggest issues with Cunningham's book seems to be that he doesn't warn readers about the dangers of some herbs, especially in relation to pregnancy, medications, and stuff like that.  But for someone who already knows that stuff, would it be a good book just as a reference for magic?  Or is there something else you would recommend?

 
If you want a short 'n' easy reference guide to folk uses of herbs, Cunningham is solid: I've checked his entries against multiple scholarly and respected magical plant-lore sources, and they all make sense. If you want extremely detailed, in-depth information, de Cleene and Lejeune's Compendium of Symbolic and Ritual Plants in Europe is an AWESOME resource: however, unless you have $300 to burn, you're best off looking at it in a university library. If British plants are your thing, Roy Vickery is the major academic authority.

Humphrey

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Apr 2013
  • Posts: 57
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Herbal Reference Book
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 08:38:54 am »
Quote from: catja6;107136
If you want a short 'n' easy reference guide to folk uses of herbs, Cunningham is solid: I've checked his entries against multiple scholarly and respected magical plant-lore sources, and they all make sense. If you want extremely detailed, in-depth information, de Cleene and Lejeune's Compendium of Symbolic and Ritual Plants in Europe is an AWESOME resource: however, unless you have $300 to burn, you're best off looking at it in a university library. If British plants are your thing, Roy Vickery is the major academic authority.

 
On the topic of good Herbal Reference Books, are there any good herbal reference websites? Something that isn't angelfire.com.

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
8 Replies
2684 Views
Last post December 06, 2011, 02:06:26 pm
by Chakabe
5 Replies
1135 Views
Last post February 28, 2012, 12:31:40 am
by herkles
36 Replies
5206 Views
Last post June 04, 2013, 01:19:38 pm
by Nerys53
13 Replies
982 Views
Last post December 05, 2018, 12:02:16 am
by RitaCeleste
9 Replies
1266 Views
Last post March 27, 2019, 12:50:46 am
by Scales

Beginner Area

Warning: You are currently in a Beginner Friendly area of the message board.

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 52
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall