Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 08:57:21 am]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Author Topic: Favourite resources  (Read 2317 times)

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Favourite resources
« on: December 18, 2013, 01:32:08 pm »
I thought it might be time for another round of "What're some of your favourite resources?" that you feel offer a high quality combination of information, discussion, and whatever else you value? I'm particularly interested in *why* you find a particular source meaningful or useful, not just a list. (What makes you turn to that one, rather than to something else?)

I'm looking for all kinds of resources - we have plenty of Pagan book threads, so I'd love if this one focused on other kinds of materials, whether that's podcasts, video blogging, blogs, websites, magazines, or whatever else.

I'm also interested in non-Pagan sources you  turn to that inform your religious practice or life (I know I read a bunch of things that make me think about ethics, how to treat people, and how live a better life that come from non-Pagan perspectives.)

My own starting recommendations coming up in a reply.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Breeze

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Favourite resources
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 03:44:19 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;132940
I thought it might be time for another round of "What're some of your favourite resources?" that you feel offer a high quality combination of information, discussion, and whatever else you value? I'm particularly interested in *why* you find a particular source meaningful or useful, not just a list. (What makes you turn to that one, rather than to something else?)

I have a few that I turn to with some sort of regularity.  The first one is a book:  The Kybalion constitutes a lot of my own philosophy.  I like it because it makes perfect sense to me and the 7 Hermetic Laws are directly applicable to just about anything.  I haven't found anything so far (mundane or otherwise) that I couldn't ascribe one or more law to.

I also refer to your Seeking site quite a bit.  I don't consider myself a beginner anymore, but the information you provide gets me thinking and doing.  I refer other people there too because I trust your information based on both how and what you write as well as your interactions on here.

TC is another resource, and I lurk far more than I post.  I have found that the way we do things here fosters growth and learning far better than any other pagan forum I've seen.  You have to know what you're talking about here to really interact, and I think that's a very good thing.

There are a few channels on YouTube that I reference but the only one I watch with any regularity is the MIRTHandREVERENCE channel.  Annika seems sincere to me and her information seems reasonably fact based.  I don't agree with everything she does or says, but I haven't come across her being blatantly incorrect.  She seems to have quite a bit of experience under her belt which I trust too because of the information she provides.

I'm sure there are loads others and I may comment more as I think of them.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 05:41:33 pm »

I'm looking for all kinds of resources - we have plenty of Pagan book threads, so I'd love if this one focused on other kinds of materials, whether that's podcasts, video blogging, blogs, websites, magazines, or whatever else.

Pagan sources:
The existing episodes of Thorn Coyle's podcast, Elemental Castings. This is one of the "not my path, but so very useful" kinds of resources. Thorn does great conversational interviews with people with high levels of experience and skill, and there's good material here for both people new to Paganism, and people with decades of experience.

The Wild Hunt (http://wildhunt.org) is a longstanding blog rounding up news and other sources. I use it as a way to keep up on major conversations in parts of the Pagan community I don't hear about. (The downside is that no one can know everything, and while Jason does a great job with an incredibly complicated set of subjects, there are things that get missed or simplified in weird ways.)

(My other blog reading varies widely.)

I read widely here - we have so many great posters, many of whom read bits of the Pagan web I don't necessarily read daily.

I've had subscriptions to both SageWoman and Witches and Pagans for a while, and I think they're a good fit for learning more about different perspectives, but I've just let my subscriptions lapse because I wasn't managing to read them. (I do most of my print reading in the bathtub these days, and magazines don't hold up well to it.)

Non-Pagan sources
My two reliable podcasts (I basically only listen while housecleaning and cooking, so there's only so much I get through in a week) are NPR's "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" (a news quiz show) and "This American Life". The first is my personal check on whether I've been paying attention to the news enough (if I don't get the jokes or the answers, I haven't been), and the second is a good source of ways of thinking and being in the world that matter to other people.

Related to the latter, I also read a number of blogs, but particularly like the following:

1) http://longform.org (which curates long-form journalism from a wide variety of sources, posting 3-5 links a day)

2) http://ask.metafilter.com (people ask questions, and I learn all sorts of things I didn't know I needed/was interested in/cared about)

3) http://askamanager.org (which is awesome for anyone looking for a job, working in a job, thinking about jobs, or anything else - also a real model of how to deal with complicated situations with compassion and fairness and concern for different needs and perspectives.)

I also read widely in a range of topics. Some of my reading is comfort reading, but some of it is processing reading - for example, I read a certain amount of fantasy because it's a way to sort out magical ethics in a world where magic is widely understood to work.

(You get different questions raised than in a world where most people assume it doesn't. This is also part of my reason for my participation in theHP Alternityproject, which I've talked about elsewhere on forum.)

One of my other favourites for Pagan purposes are the genre of books known as 'microhistories' which is the term for those books that talk about just one thing - cod or rats or colour or jewels or salt or whatever. (If you want a great example of this, I recommend "Salt" by Mark Kurlansky to anyone whose Pagan practices involve the use of salt. Victoria Finlay's "Color: A Natural History of the Palette" and "Jewels" are both fascinating too, and she includes chapters on both amber and jet in the latter for people where that's relevant.)

(PS: Breeze. Thank you!)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
Favourite resources
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 05:54:22 pm »

I'm also interested in non-Pagan sources you  turn to that inform your religious practice or life (I know I read a bunch of things that make me think about ethics, how to treat people, and how live a better life that come from non-Pagan perspectives.)

I'm responding to remind myself to post again when I have more spoons.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 06:58:12 pm »

Some of my favorite resources are
1) http://www.celtnet.org.uk/

2) http://www.dunbrython.org/

These are my go to's when I need info about Brythonic Gods or religion.
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

XenophonSpeaks

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 08:37:46 pm »

Probably the biggest resource for me is the pagan youtube community. It's a wonderful place to find people from various paths and backgrounds who are at various levels of learning (just starting out, how to practice in college, ideas for celebrating sabbats with children, seasonal celebrations, altar ideas, anything you can imagine). I'm the sort of person who loves biographies and people in general, so it's a great way for me to find inspiration for things I want to do in my own life (as well as a fantastic resource for tutorials of all kinds).

Some youtubers to look up if you're interested or curious (these are just a few of my personal favorites): CharmingPixieFlora, TipToeChick, cutewitch772, LauraDaligan, paganperspective, and Pyperh. Laura Daligan's stuff is a current favorite of mine at the moment, I just love her personality and find her videos very informative and well thought out.

If anyone else has any youtubers they'd recommend, I'd be interested in hearing about them as well.

Tags: