collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: E.A. Wallis Budge's Books  (Read 2282 times)

anubisa

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Egyptian Wicca
E.A. Wallis Budge's Books
« on: November 21, 2020, 10:11:46 pm »
Hi everyone,

If you don't know about E.A. Wallis Budge, let me tell you. He was an Egyptologist and wrote a bunch of books on Egypt and the religion of Egypt and he even wrote his own version of the Egyptian Book of the Dead. I've heard some negative things about him. Like he was racist and he plagiarized. However, when I have looked into this I have only seen one article in each category. I don't care really. His books are outdated because they were written in late 1880s and early  1900s. However, I read them to get a perspective from someone of a earlier time. I also read other books about Egypt from different authors. So it's not like I am attached to his books. I was just wondering if anyone else has read his books. I've started reading on one of his books called The Gods of The Egyptians and I just don't get any negativity from the book. Yes it's outdated regarding references, but he does reference who he gets information from. I asked Lord Anubis about it and I don't feel any response of negativity from him. I just want an opinion if you have read any of his books.
Anubisa

Daughter of Lord Anubis and Lady Bast.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Re: E.A. Wallis Budge's Books
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 06:58:43 pm »
I've heard some negative things about him. Like he was racist and he plagiarized.

It's been a while, but I have read parts of some of his works - didn't get very far, to be honest. From what I recall, the translation parts were ok for being so early, the interpretation/commentary parts ... not so much.

I haven't heard about him plagiarising, but haven't really researched him so *shrug*.

Racist ... not overtly so in the parts I read, and not more so than most scholars of his time. Which isn't saying much. (Digs up old notes) There is a lot of Eurocentric and Christian bias in Budge's writing. Some of that shows up in translation choices like calling evil spirits "Devils" and claiming that one of Thoth's titles was "Recording Angel", or referring to "the Creator" without specifying if the text meant Amun, Ptah, Khnum or some other deity (this last one is not limited to Budge). He slants interpretations of the Osiris cult to make it resemble Christianity, and puts a negative slant on pretty much the rest of Kemetic religion. The priesthood of Amun gets an especially bad rap for some reason.

IMO, reading Budge will teach you more about Victorian Egyptologists than about Ancient Egypt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

anubisa

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Egyptian Wicca
Re: E.A. Wallis Budge's Books
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 01:41:23 am »
It's been a while, but I have read parts of some of his works - didn't get very far, to be honest. From what I recall, the translation parts were ok for being so early, the interpretation/commentary parts ... not so much.

I haven't heard about him plagiarising, but haven't really researched him so *shrug*.

Racist ... not overtly so in the parts I read, and not more so than most scholars of his time. Which isn't saying much. (Digs up old notes) There is a lot of Eurocentric and Christian bias in Budge's writing. Some of that shows up in translation choices like calling evil spirits "Devils" and claiming that one of Thoth's titles was "Recording Angel", or referring to "the Creator" without specifying if the text meant Amun, Ptah, Khnum or some other deity (this last one is not limited to Budge). He slants interpretations of the Osiris cult to make it resemble Christianity, and puts a negative slant on pretty much the rest of Kemetic religion. The priesthood of Amun gets an especially bad rap for some reason.

IMO, reading Budge will teach you more about Victorian Egyptologists than about Ancient Egypt.

Thanks Sefiru. I just needed another person's thoughts about his books.
Anubisa

Daughter of Lord Anubis and Lady Bast.

Tags: