Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Decent books/websites for someone with no prior knowledge?  (Read 1915 times)

MichelleBlyth93

• View Profile
Decent books/websites for someone with no prior knowledge?
« on: December 11, 2013, 06:40:23 am »
Hi,

I have recently succumbed to my curiousity for Paganism and witchcraft, I was hoping someone on here could tell me of any worthy books or websites that could teach me the background information/basic knowledge that a new Pagan would require?

I'm not entirely sure which route I want to take with my religion yet, so absolutely any information would help. I'm currently scrolling through the internet for information, but I would like some guidance on where to look, so that I don't take in a load of rubbish.

I really hope some of you will help me, thank you!

Viv

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Decent books/websites for someone with no prior knowledge?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 07:17:48 am »
Quote from: MichelleBlyth93;132219
Hi,

I have recently succumbed to my curiousity for Paganism and witchcraft, I was hoping someone on here could tell me of any worthy books or websites that could teach me the background information/basic knowledge that a new Pagan would require?

I'm not entirely sure which route I want to take with my religion yet, so absolutely any information would help. I'm currently scrolling through the internet for information, but I would like some guidance on where to look, so that I don't take in a load of rubbish.

Here is a TC page to start you off: A Pagan Primer
"As every cat lover knows, nobody owns a cat." ~Ellen Perry Berkeley

AKA: windshadow; hesperia

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 08:02:30 am »
Quote from: windshadow;132220
Here is a TC page to start you off: A Pagan Primer

Please sure to download the FAQ for Teens on this page. It's full of info and in spite of the title is not just for Teens.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

baduhmtisss

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Undefined
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 09:22:15 am »
Hi,

I ditto what everybody else said, and I also suggest one of the member's website for seekers. It's got really good information that's written from their personal experiences and gained knowledge.

http://gleewood.org/seeking/
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 09:23:00 am by Raine »
Undefined religion | Parrot Mom | Disaster Reservist

DavidMcCann

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 01:14:26 pm »
I have recently succumbed to my curiosity for Paganism and witchcraft, I was hoping someone on here could tell me of any worthy books or websites that could teach me the background information/basic knowledge that a new Pagan would require?

Well, here are a couple of interesting web sites:
http://www.paganachd.com/faq/index.html
http://neosalexandria.org/

A good book (published in Scotland, so try the public library)
The path through the forest: a Druid guidebook, by Julie White and Graeme Talboys

The library should also have stuff on Wicca: anything not published by Llewellyn should do.
Minorities are almost always in the right.
They haif said. Quhat say they? Lat thame say!

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 01:28:35 pm »

RainbowSnake's already linked to my website, but in particular, my list of titles (and more to the point, why I suggest those and not others) might be of particular interest to you.

(I do not subscribe to the "anything but Lllewellyn" view, as that list will suggest: Llewellyn has put out some highly useful titles, other publishers have put out some really lousy ones: I think that while publisher can tell you some things about a book - for example, if you want highly academically cited and sourced books, Llewellyn is not your choice, but neither are most Pagan publishers - it's much better to take books on their individual merits. Or at least authors.)

Anyway: book list and suggestions are over at http://gleewood.org/seeking/suggested-reading/introductory-books/  and my essay about critical reading and Pagan books is at http://gleewood.org/seeking/suggested-reading/criticalreading/
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

MichelleBlyth93

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 07:30:26 am »
Quote from: Jenett;132252
RainbowSnake's already linked to my website, but in particular, my list of titles (and more to the point, why I suggest those and not others) might be of particular interest to you.

(I do not subscribe to the "anything but Lllewellyn" view, as that list will suggest: Llewellyn has put out some highly useful titles, other publishers have put out some really lousy ones: I think that while publisher can tell you some things about a book - for example, if you want highly academically cited and sourced books, Llewellyn is not your choice, but neither are most Pagan publishers - it's much better to take books on their individual merits. Or at least authors.)

Anyway: book list and suggestions are over at http://gleewood.org/seeking/suggested-reading/introductory-books/  and my essay about critical reading and Pagan books is at http://gleewood.org/seeking/suggested-reading/criticalreading/

thanks to everyone for this information, i'm just about to start looking most of it up and i'm sure it will all come in extremely useful!

Tags: