collapse

Author Topic: conjure quarterly-opinions?  (Read 2265 times)

spoOk

• Master Member
    • View Profile
conjure quarterly-opinions?
« on: March 23, 2012, 12:18:38 am »
does any one have any experience or opinions of this?:
http://www.planetvoodoo.com/hoodoo-conjure-quarterly.htm

I just ordered the first issue.
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: conjure quarterly-opinions?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 04:21:42 am »
Quote from: spoOk;46876

It does look interesting.
I like the cover art.

Let us know how it is. :)
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

Valentine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: get free; get others free; make new life in the aftermath
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 01:09:30 pm »
Quote from: spoOk;46876
does any one have any experience or opinions of this?:
http://www.planetvoodoo.com/hoodoo-conjure-quarterly.htm

A friend of mine, Chiron Armand, is one of the editors and contributors as of the second issue, and he is really, really solid.  I can't speak for the rest of them because I'm not acquainted, but Chiron knows his business and says things worth saying.
"Let be be finale of seem." - Wallace Stevens, "The Emperor of Ice-Cream"
"There isn't a way things should be.  There's just what happens, and what we do."
- Terry Pratchett, "A Hat Full of Sky"

spoOk

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 01:40:47 pm »
Quote from: Valentine;46963
A friend of mine, Chiron Armand, is one of the editors and contributors as of the second issue, and he is really, really solid.  I can't speak for the rest of them because I'm not acquainted, but Chiron knows his business and says things worth saying.

thanks! will totally post a review.
the second one is even thicker....but I'm still waiting for my taxes to go thru...lol
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

spoOk

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 02:31:46 am »
Quote from: spoOk;46967
thanks! will totally post a review.
the second one is even thicker....but I'm still waiting for my taxes to go thru...lol

YEY! igot my magazine!
will post a review soonish!
it's thick like a book!
I really want to order the second issue now because it has crossroads work in it!
woo.
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

spoOk

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 02:06:51 pm »
Quote from: Tana;46890
It does look interesting.
I like the cover art.

Let us know how it is. :)

so I have read the majority of it now,and while I love the articles(many of which feel alot like reading the best of the informative threads here on the forum) I must say I'm more than a little bummed out that all the articles appear to have been written by white folk,and white folk from north Carolina more specifically seem to have the majority of the articles.
now don't get me wrong I'm not racist here at all.
but I am an 'ignorant' Canadian white girl who was hoping at least some of what I was going to read was I guess...written by someone closer to the source? let me just be blunt: I wanted to read what some one who was black,African ,Haitian etc had to say in an article about hoodoo and or elements of voodou.
I feel kinda like the whole book was wicadoo....or hoodoo articles written by well meaning wiccans,witches and well traveled tourists to voodou town.

am I wrong to feel this way?

would you feel the same way if you were learning about NASCAR how to from a traffic cop?
or Norse heathenry from a little Asian lady?

I do appreciate the articles and the experience behind all the authors,they all said things that helped what I was looking for and how I felt about hoodoo magical practice. but it feels somehow wrong to not be able to learn any of this stuff from those who would be most deserving of teaching it.

I'm not going to learn how to powwow from my Irish relatives,I'm going to go to my first nations friends who teach it and live it.
I'd feel like a fraud and a fool if I learned powwow from a video tape taught by a white lady who had ten yrs dance experience of all kinds and then went to try and powwow WITH my friends who ARE native.

so final verdict: yes I love the magazine and all the goodies contained within,yes I am going to order the second issue.
but I'm bummed that it didn't get me closer to the sources of the practice as I'd hoped.
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

Valentine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: get free; get others free; make new life in the aftermath
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 05:27:23 pm »
Quote from: spoOk;51192
I must say I'm more than a little bummed out that all the articles appear to have been written by white folk,and white folk from north Carolina more specifically seem to have the majority of the articles.
now don't get me wrong I'm not racist here at all.
but I am an 'ignorant' Canadian white girl who was hoping at least some of what I was going to read was I guess...written by someone closer to the source? let me just be blunt: I wanted to read what some one who was black,African ,Haitian etc had to say in an article about hoodoo and or elements of voodou.
I feel kinda like the whole book was wicadoo....or hoodoo articles written by well meaning wiccans,witches and well traveled tourists to voodou town.

Ain't racist, this is a legitimate concern.  I haven't read it yet, so I'll take your word for it.  It's disappointing to hear.
I will say, at least for the second issue's sake, that my aforementioned friend is of African descent, and knows his business with regard to African-Diaspora practice.  So that may mean the second issue is an improvement over the first.
"Let be be finale of seem." - Wallace Stevens, "The Emperor of Ice-Cream"
"There isn't a way things should be.  There's just what happens, and what we do."
- Terry Pratchett, "A Hat Full of Sky"

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 07:53:11 am »
Quote from: spoOk;51192

am I wrong to feel this way?

I'm not going to learn how to powwow from my Irish relatives,I'm going to go to my first nations friends who teach it and live it.
I'd feel like a fraud and a fool if I learned powwow from a video tape taught by a white lady who had ten yrs dance experience of all kinds and then went to try and powwow WITH my friends who ARE native.

What Valentine said.  Since racism is about the ways that the dominant group's dominance is perpetuated, it's not "racist against white people" to think they shouldn't speak for PoC, it's actually a questioning of the racism/colonialism of white people speaking for PoC.

Hoodoo isn't as strongly associated with Afro-Diasporic stuff as vodou is - IIRC, it's a folk-magic syncretism that's more related to class (poor/rural) than race.  Intersections of oppression being what they are, that often did traditionally (and does still) mean black, but it's far from exclusive.  So while black practitioners definitely should be represented, and their absence is troubling, the presence of white practitioners isn't out of line.

Side note, I wonder if you are conflating Pow-wow (folk magic system associated with the Pennsylvania Dutch) with pow wow (a gathering of Native American/First Nations people)?  While the former appropriated its name from the latter usage, that's pretty much the only thing they have in common.  It's not completely clear from your post if you solely meant the latter (in which case, while there are dances involved, "pow wow" isn't itself a dance), or if the former colored your impressions.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Tags: