Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Books and (Legitimate) Websites Wanted!  (Read 2653 times)

Lore

• View Profile
Books and (Legitimate) Websites Wanted!
« on: March 06, 2012, 03:27:22 pm »
During a free period in between my classes I usually attempt to find different websites and books for research into various religions. Albeit my interests lie mostly in Asatru/Norse Pagan, I am always searching for new sources and religions to look into, ideal example being my recent research into Druidry (Sparked by a fantastic band I listen to, Eluveitie).

Any websites or books that somebody could link me to would be greatly appreciated, provided they aren't just some bogus stuff just thrown onto a site and hailed as the truth.

Many Thanks!

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Books and (Legitimate) Websites Wanted!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 06:58:08 pm »
Quote from: Lore;45087
Any websites or books that somebody could link me to would be greatly appreciated, provided they aren't just some bogus stuff just thrown onto a site and hailed as the truth.

I'm not sure exactly what you want here? Material on Druidry?
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Lore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 08:06:06 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;45126
I'm not sure exactly what you want here? Material on Druidry?

Not exactly. Sorry I had a bit too much coffee in me when I wrote this. .What I meant is that i've always been interested in any religion that isn't widely known about, or at least that I don't know about personally. The example I used was Druidry, since while I had nothing to do for a spell and was listening to Eluveitie I decided to go on that. Now, I have a few websites and a book on it because of my interests in that particular religion as a whole. Point being, I would like to expand in a way related to that.

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 06:08:13 am »
Quote from: Lore;45133
Not exactly. Sorry I had a bit too much coffee in me when I wrote this. .What I meant is that i've always been interested in any religion that isn't widely known about, or at least that I don't know about personally. The example I used was Druidry, since while I had nothing to do for a spell and was listening to Eluveitie I decided to go on that. Now, I have a few websites and a book on it because of my interests in that particular religion as a whole. Point being, I would like to expand in a way related to that.

I suggest you check out our website - the Pagan Primer would be a good place to start.  Also the teen FAQ - if you're not a teen, you can just skip the teen stuff.  Most of it's not age-specific.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 09:08:54 am »
Quote from: HeartShadow;45158
I suggest you check out our website - the Pagan Primer would be a good place to start.  Also the teen FAQ - if you're not a teen, you can just skip the teen stuff.  Most of it's not age-specific.

Also, the Reconstructionism section of our web site has lists of suggested books.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 05:30:23 pm »

The Internet Sacred Text Archive should be in any religion researcher's bookmarks.
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Lore

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 12:04:55 pm »
Quote from: Chatelaine;45193
The Internet Sacred Text Archive should be in any religion researcher's bookmarks.

Thanks for the suggestions, I usually have a limited time for actual research since i'm usually writing papers and whatnot for school, and this entire site has a huge amount of information stored on it. I'll be sure to check out all of the posted areas!

Ask-Embla

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 02:43:34 pm »

Many Thanks!

For Asatru I really like this website: http://heathengods.com/temple/modules/library/
They have a lot of free book downloads. I highly suggest "The Pentagram and the Hammer" if you're into comparing and contrasting social aspects of religion (I couldn't stop reading), and they also have a bunch of different versions of things like Beowolf and the Poetic and Prosaic Eddas. Other than the free books the site doesn't have much to offer... the forum is awful.
Be kind to little animals / whatever sort they be / and give a stranded jellyfish / a shove into the sea.

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • Religion: Norse/Germanic Polytheists
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 03:18:57 pm »
Quote from: Ask-Embla;59727
For Asatru I really like this website: http://heathengods.com/temple/modules/library/
They have a lot of free book downloads. I highly suggest "The Pentagram and the Hammer" if you're into comparing and contrasting social aspects of religion (I couldn't stop reading), and they also have a bunch of different versions of things like Beowolf and the Poetic and Prosaic Eddas. Other than the free books the site doesn't have much to offer... the forum is awful.

That's a whole lotta stuff, thanks!

Tags: