Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Best books on Hedgecraft/Hedgewitchery (in your opinion)  (Read 3136 times)

Polymorphia

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://folio-versipellis.tumblr.com/
Best books on Hedgecraft/Hedgewitchery (in your opinion)
« on: March 12, 2013, 02:35:39 pm »
Okay, I got my general list of books. Now I need something specific. I recently decided that I want to persue a Hedgewitch path, but I need some material to get started with. If there are other hedgewitches here who could recommend me some good books, I'd really appreciate it, but even if you're not and you have a helpful book that'd be great. These are the major things I'm looking for:

• General books on hedgecraft
  • working with animals
  • herb/crystal books (I love love pictures)
  • related books

I'm posting so much lately, but I'm really enthusiastic about getting started. xD Any and all help is appreciated!

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Best books on Hedgecraft/Hedgewitchery (in your opinion)
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 03:01:30 pm »
Quote from: Polymorphia;100856
Okay, I got my general list of books. Now I need something specific. I recently decided that I want to persue a Hedgewitch path, but I need some material to get started with. If there are other hedgewitches here who could recommend me some good books, I'd really appreciate it, but even if you're not and you have a helpful book that'd be great. These are the major things I'm looking for:

• working with animals
  • related books

I'm posting so much lately, but I'm really enthusiastic about getting started. xD Any and all help is appreciated!

There really aren't many good books on hedgecraft specifically floating around out there. There's one I have that's good for a bedtime story read that's basically a collection of essays from various hedgewitches around the world that I would recommend, but beyond that you're probably better off looking into various specific books on herbology, kitchen witchery, animals, shamanism, aromatherapy, crystal/stone work, and whatever other practices interest you.

To Fly By Night: The Craft of the Hedgewitch.
Edited by Veronica Cummer

For animals, I'd recommend one particular book called Animal Speak.
http://www.amazon.com/Animal-Speak-Spiritual-Magical-Powers-Creatures/dp/0875420281

That gives you a decent foundation to begin with. But ultimately, you want to develop that understanding on your own through your own research of the animal itself (animal planet and google much?). Moths have always had a pretty set definition of symbolism throughout cultural history, but personally they hold a very specific meaning to me. So you'll want to do that research on your own time within your own methods.

For herbs, Scott Cunningham. That is all.

For stones, the same as for animals. There are some pretty commonly accepted meanings for certain stones, but ultimately it will come down to how you perceive them and how they work with you. Stones, like humans, are very unique and vary from individual to individual.

Polymorphia

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://folio-versipellis.tumblr.com/
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 03:23:17 am »
Quote from: Laveth;100866
There really aren't many good books on hedgecraft specifically floating around out there. There's one I have that's good for a bedtime story read that's basically a collection of essays from various hedgewitches around the world that I would recommend, but beyond that you're probably better off looking into various specific books on herbology, kitchen witchery, animals, shamanism, aromatherapy, crystal/stone work, and whatever other practices interest you.

To Fly By Night: The Craft of the Hedgewitch.
Edited by Veronica Cummer

For animals, I'd recommend one particular book called Animal Speak.
http://www.amazon.com/Animal-Speak-Spiritual-Magical-Powers-Creatures/dp/0875420281

That gives you a decent foundation to begin with. But ultimately, you want to develop that understanding on your own through your own research of the animal itself (animal planet and google much?). Moths have always had a pretty set definition of symbolism throughout cultural history, but personally they hold a very specific meaning to me. So you'll want to do that research on your own time within your own methods.

For herbs, Scott Cunningham. That is all.

For stones, the same as for animals. There are some pretty commonly accepted meanings for certain stones, but ultimately it will come down to how you perceive them and how they work with you. Stones, like humans, are very unique and vary from individual to individual.

Yeah, I've been looking around and there are only a few books. Still, I'm going to keep looking for some good ones anyway. xD I need all the help I can get!

Added those though, Thank you! (: I'll also keep that in mind about stones and animals. I feel the same way, but I'm still worried about being way off.

Shadow

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 07:41:34 am »

• working with animals
  • related books

I am currently reading Pagan Portals- Hedge Witchcraft by Harmonia Saille and it seems pretty good.

I have to add that I do not practices Hedgewitchery, and this is the first book I have read on the subject so I would take my recommendation with a big grain of salt.

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 08:05:02 am »
Quote from: Polymorphia;101005
Yeah, I've been looking around and there are only a few books. Still, I'm going to keep looking for some good ones anyway. xD I need all the help I can get!

Added those though, Thank you! (: I'll also keep that in mind about stones and animals. I feel the same way, but I'm still worried about being way off.

The neat thing about the Animal Speak book isn't that it's about animals and has a dictionary of meanings regarding various animals, but that it actually shows you what kinds of things to look at when an animal pops into your life in an unexpected way. It shows you how to research that species in particular, which is what I took away from that text. :)

Diana

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 11:00:30 am »

• working with animals
  • related books

Anything by Rae Beth, she's a British Hedgewitch and has written numerous books on the subject. Her most famous is a series of letters to her apprentices and I believes it's just called Hedgewitch, however I am currently enjoying "The hedge witches way". Can't recommend that book enough, not even halfway through and its totally changed my perception of lone magical spirituality.
My avatar is a picture of my pet cornsnake, Cleopatra :)

Fier

• Sr. Master Member
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pantheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 11:54:31 am »

For herbs, I would recommend getting a field guide for your area. I don't know where you live, but I have a couple of the Peterson's field guides. One is for wildflowers and the other is for medicinal plants. The book are usually restricted to a certain area (Eastern US, for example.)

The other herb book I'd recommend is The Complete Book of Herbs by Lesley Bremness.

These books won't give you magical information (although I believe there are few mentions of folkloric uses), but they tell you how to id the plants, where they grow, how to grow them, what the medicinal properties are, what parts you can eat, what parts are poisonous, how to cook with them....ect.

Tags: