collapse

Author Topic: Animal Spirit books  (Read 2207 times)

Kimberly

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Animal Spirit books
« on: January 27, 2013, 08:10:16 pm »
I did do a search on the old board and was encouraged by what I found but thought I would give this a go anyway in case there are others with opinions of their own.

The local metaphysical store (Next Millennium...fantastic place btw) has recommended I try some books by Ted Andrews as I am currently leaning more towards Native American spirituality.  I don't like wasting my money on books or resources that are of no help or are not as they are advertised.  What are your opinions on his Animal Speaks and Animal-Wise books?
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better.  It\'s not."  --Dr. Seuss
[/FONT][/I]

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Animal Spirit books
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 03:24:53 pm »
Quote from: Kimberly;93917
I did do a search on the old board and was encouraged by what I found but thought I would give this a go anyway in case there are others with opinions of their own.

The local metaphysical store (Next Millennium...fantastic place btw) has recommended I try some books by Ted Andrews as I am currently leaning more towards Native American spirituality.  I don't like wasting my money on books or resources that are of no help or are not as they are advertised.  What are your opinions on his Animal Speaks and Animal-Wise books?

You're not likely going to find a lot of valuable, useable, and not to mention actually accurate information on the religious and spiritual aspects of Native people in books, simply because very little of it is actually written for the intent of sharing with non-Native people. Most books out there that talk about "Native American spirituality/religion" are often a white-washed and culturally appropriated view of how the author things Native tribes worked. Because to be clear: there is no one way Native people viewed spirits and how to interact with animals. Pre-contact there was something like over 500 tribes in North American alone. History likes to boil them all down to "one people, one way" but that's simply not the case.

I've never read Ted Andrews' books, so I can't comment on those.

I've never read Lupa's books (and disagree with many modern concepts of shamanism and totems, but I won't get into that), but I've heard several of her books are highly recommended on those wanting to work with animal spirits, including dealing with their remains. She's published a number of them, and you can find them all here: http://www.thegreenwolf.com/books.html

Hope this helps!
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 12:20:01 am »
Quote from: Kimberly;93917

Animal Speak is good. It doesn't go entirely into every animal, but it does teach you how to research it yourself and what to look for, as well as the basics.

Haven't read Animal Wise, sorry. :)

Lokabrenna

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 12:27:59 am »
Quote from: Laveth;94281
Animal Speak is good. It doesn't go entirely into every animal, but it does teach you how to research it yourself and what to look for, as well as the basics.

Haven't read Animal Wise, sorry. :)

Animal Speak is one of the "classics" when it comes to working with animal spirits. In addition, I would recommend:

New Paths to Animal Totems: Three Alternative Approaches to Creating Your Own Totemism and DIY Totemism both by Lupa. New Paths to Animal Totems is written specifically for people who are just starting to work with animal spirits. DIY Totemism has more advanced techniques, both are well worth picking up, and neither of them try to pretend that they are "authentic Native American teachings" whatever those are.

I would also recommend Totem Magic: Dance of the Shapeshifter by Yasmine Galenorn, although I believe it's currently out of print.

Kimberly

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 07:04:42 am »
Quote from: Lokabrenna;94283
Animal Speak is one of the "classics" when it comes to working with animal spirits. In addition, I would recommend:

Thank you all very much. This has helped.  :)
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better.  It\'s not."  --Dr. Seuss
[/FONT][/I]

Tags: