collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: African-American Pagan Authors?  (Read 1673 times)

weirdfaery

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Apr 2012
  • Posts: 22
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
African-American Pagan Authors?
« on: June 09, 2013, 01:50:12 pm »
I'm looking for books or podcasts by black pagans. I figured  as a black pagan I should probably read some of those.:whis:


forgot to add I'm interested in books about their experiences as a pagan of color.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 07:18:15 pm by RandallS »

Breeze

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Apr 2013
  • Posts: 249
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: African-American Pagan Authors?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 10:30:31 pm »
Quote from: weirdfaery;111056
I'm looking for books or podcasts by black pagans. I figured  as a black pagan I should probably read some of those.:whis:


forgot to add I'm interested in books about their experiences as a pagan of color.


I met Crystal Blanton at Pagan Spirit Gathering last year and she seems like a really cool lady.  She has a book called Shades of Faith that might fit what you're looking for.  I didn't want to link to it because I'm not sure how to incorporate TC's referral link.

Nerys53

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Feb 2013
  • Posts: 171
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: African-American Pagan Authors?
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 03:07:48 am »
Quote from: weirdfaery;111056
I'm looking for books or podcasts by black pagans. I figured  as a black pagan I should probably read some of those.:whis:


forgot to add I'm interested in books about their experiences as a pagan of color.

 
See site http://www.stephanierosebird.com/ I read one of her books.
Besides books there are a lot of blogs which have interesting things to read.
See http://www.hoodooreview.blogspot.com/

weirdfaery

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Apr 2012
  • Posts: 22
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: African-American Pagan Authors?
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 11:49:58 am »
Quote from: Breeze;111218
I met Crystal Blanton at Pagan Spirit Gathering last year and she seems like a really cool lady.  She has a book called Shades of Faith that might fit what you're looking for.  I didn't want to link to it because I'm not sure how to incorporate TC's referral link.

 
Thanks and don't worry my google fu is strong.:)

weirdfaery

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Apr 2012
  • Posts: 22
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: African-American Pagan Authors?
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 11:51:25 am »
Quote from: Nerys53;111303
See site http://www.stephanierosebird.com/ I read one of her books.
Besides books there are a lot of blogs which have interesting things to read.
See http://www.hoodooreview.blogspot.com/

 
Thanks for the links. I've actually been considering studying hoodoo.

dionysiandame

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Nov 2011
  • Posts: 600
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: African-American Pagan Authors?
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 03:39:49 pm »
Quote from: weirdfaery;111056
I'm looking for books or podcasts by black pagans. I figured  as a black pagan I should probably read some of those.:whis:


forgot to add I'm interested in books about their experiences as a pagan of color.

 
You should definitely check out "Daughters of Eve" over at Patheos. Crystal Blanton runs the site, but there have been guest-writers and she keeps a nice rotation of writing regulars. Different writing styles and faiths are in attendance so you'll get a bit of many things.

There is a Pagans of Colour page on Tumblr that, while not strictly African American, is moderated by blac women (I think). The page even opens itself to questions about cultural appropriation from non-POC's so they're a pretty decent resource.

I'm black and a Hellenic Polytheist (with major Dionysian leanings). My blog is in my signature.

And I may be wrong but I believe Altair, another member here, is not only African American but also a modern-day mythmaker. There's a thread surrounding that around here somewhere.

The last podcast I remember being run by a pagan African American was City Witch. I think her show ended due to pod-fade, but I seem to recall her catching a lot of grief from the "community at large" for mentioning issues of race within the pagan sphere.

There are also allies on this board who you should totally read from and talk to if you get the chance. Even if you just need someone to vent to members like Sunflower, Stephy, Valentine, Morag, Melamphorous, HeartShadow etc, may not share our narrative but are definitely more than willing to listen. I know I've left a lot of people out but you get the gyst.

In my mind this is probably one of the best online-spaces you could have come to as a pagan of color. Don't hesitate to ask tough questions or be honest. There are no "niceness police" here and your insights and experiences as a POC will not be cast aside or devalued just because it could make someone else uncomfortable.

Hope this helps a bit. Cheers!
Writ, Ritual, and Revelation - Where I wax poetic about nothing at all.
2 Mallards and Thyme- Gastronomy, History, Odds & Ends
Become my latest obsession on Goodreads

He keeps me with all of his other pretty things for I am just another pretty thing in a long list of acquisitions.

weirdfaery

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Apr 2012
  • Posts: 22
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: African-American Pagan Authors?
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 05:39:58 pm »
Quote from: dionysiandame;111393
You should definitely check out "Daughters of Eve" over at Patheos. Crystal Blanton runs the site, but there have been guest-writers and she keeps a nice rotation of writing regulars. Different writing styles and faiths are in attendance so you'll get a bit of many things.

There is a Pagans of Colour page on Tumblr that, while not strictly African American, is moderated by blac women (I think). The page even opens itself to questions about cultural appropriation from non-POC's so they're a pretty decent resource.

I'm black and a Hellenic Polytheist (with major Dionysian leanings). My blog is in my signature.

And I may be wrong but I believe Altair, another member here, is not only African American but also a modern-day mythmaker. There's a thread surrounding that around here somewhere.

The last podcast I remember being run by a pagan African American was City Witch. I think her show ended due to pod-fade, but I seem to recall her catching a lot of grief from the "community at large" for mentioning issues of race within the pagan sphere.

There are also allies on this board who you should totally read from and talk to if you get the chance. Even if you just need someone to vent to members like Sunflower, Stephy, Valentine, Morag, Melamphorous, HeartShadow etc, may not share our narrative but are definitely more than willing to listen. I know I've left a lot of people out but you get the gyst.

In my mind this is probably one of the best online-spaces you could have come to as a pagan of color. Don't hesitate to ask tough questions or be honest. There are no "niceness police" here and your insights and experiences as a POC will not be cast aside or devalued just because it could make someone else uncomfortable.

Hope this helps a bit. Cheers!

 
Thanks, I noticed that TC is a safe space which is why I'm trying to become more involved an less of an socially anxious lurker.

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
3324 Views
Last post July 22, 2011, 01:31:12 pm
by veggiewolf
1 Replies
1329 Views
Last post September 03, 2011, 10:00:06 pm
by KittyVel
10 Replies
1268 Views
Last post December 11, 2013, 03:50:58 pm
by Palemoon
2 Replies
690 Views
Last post November 02, 2014, 05:11:09 pm
by Materialist
0 Replies
2700 Views
Last post June 30, 2015, 10:57:00 am
by RandallS

Beginner Area

Warning: You are currently in a Beginner Friendly area of the message board.

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 90
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall