Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: African-American Pagan Authors?  (Read 2931 times)

weirdfaery

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
African-American Pagan Authors?
« on: June 09, 2013, 01:50:12 pm »
I'm looking for books or podcasts by black pagans. I figured  as a black pagan I should probably read some of those.:whis:

forgot to add I'm interested in books about their experiences as a pagan of color.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 07:18:15 pm by RandallS »

Breeze

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: African-American Pagan Authors?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 10:30:31 pm »
Quote from: weirdfaery;111056
I'm looking for books or podcasts by black pagans. I figured  as a black pagan I should probably read some of those.:whis:

forgot to add I'm interested in books about their experiences as a pagan of color.

I met Crystal Blanton at Pagan Spirit Gathering last year and she seems like a really cool lady.  She has a book called Shades of Faith that might fit what you're looking for.  I didn't want to link to it because I'm not sure how to incorporate TC's referral link.

Nerys53

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 03:07:48 am »

See site http://www.stephanierosebird.com/ I read one of her books.
Besides books there are a lot of blogs which have interesting things to read.
See http://www.hoodooreview.blogspot.com/

weirdfaery

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 11:49:58 am »
Quote from: Breeze;111218
I met Crystal Blanton at Pagan Spirit Gathering last year and she seems like a really cool lady.  She has a book called Shades of Faith that might fit what you're looking for.  I didn't want to link to it because I'm not sure how to incorporate TC's referral link.

Thanks and don't worry my google fu is strong.:)

weirdfaery

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 11:51:25 am »
Quote from: Nerys53;111303
See site http://www.stephanierosebird.com/ I read one of her books.
Besides books there are a lot of blogs which have interesting things to read.
See http://www.hoodooreview.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the links. I've actually been considering studying hoodoo.

dionysiandame

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 03:39:49 pm »

You should definitely check out "Daughters of Eve" over at Patheos. Crystal Blanton runs the site, but there have been guest-writers and she keeps a nice rotation of writing regulars. Different writing styles and faiths are in attendance so you'll get a bit of many things.

There is a Pagans of Colour page on Tumblr that, while not strictly African American, is moderated by blac women (I think). The page even opens itself to questions about cultural appropriation from non-POC's so they're a pretty decent resource.

I'm black and a Hellenic Polytheist (with major Dionysian leanings). My blog is in my signature.

And I may be wrong but I believe Altair, another member here, is not only African American but also a modern-day mythmaker. There's a thread surrounding that around here somewhere.

The last podcast I remember being run by a pagan African American was City Witch. I think her show ended due to pod-fade, but I seem to recall her catching a lot of grief from the "community at large" for mentioning issues of race within the pagan sphere.

There are also allies on this board who you should totally read from and talk to if you get the chance. Even if you just need someone to vent to members like Sunflower, Stephy, Valentine, Morag, Melamphorous, HeartShadow etc, may not share our narrative but are definitely more than willing to listen. I know I've left a lot of people out but you get the gyst.

In my mind this is probably one of the best online-spaces you could have come to as a pagan of color. Don't hesitate to ask tough questions or be honest. There are no "niceness police" here and your insights and experiences as a POC will not be cast aside or devalued just because it could make someone else uncomfortable.

Hope this helps a bit. Cheers!
Writ, Ritual, and Revelation - Where I wax poetic about nothing at all.
2 Mallards and Thyme- Gastronomy, History, Odds & Ends
Become my latest obsession on Goodreads

He keeps me with all of his other pretty things for I am just another pretty thing in a long list of acquisitions.

weirdfaery

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 05:39:58 pm »
Quote from: dionysiandame;111393
You should definitely check out "Daughters of Eve" over at Patheos. Crystal Blanton runs the site, but there have been guest-writers and she keeps a nice rotation of writing regulars. Different writing styles and faiths are in attendance so you'll get a bit of many things.

There is a Pagans of Colour page on Tumblr that, while not strictly African American, is moderated by blac women (I think). The page even opens itself to questions about cultural appropriation from non-POC's so they're a pretty decent resource.

I'm black and a Hellenic Polytheist (with major Dionysian leanings). My blog is in my signature.

And I may be wrong but I believe Altair, another member here, is not only African American but also a modern-day mythmaker. There's a thread surrounding that around here somewhere.

The last podcast I remember being run by a pagan African American was City Witch. I think her show ended due to pod-fade, but I seem to recall her catching a lot of grief from the "community at large" for mentioning issues of race within the pagan sphere.

There are also allies on this board who you should totally read from and talk to if you get the chance. Even if you just need someone to vent to members like Sunflower, Stephy, Valentine, Morag, Melamphorous, HeartShadow etc, may not share our narrative but are definitely more than willing to listen. I know I've left a lot of people out but you get the gyst.

In my mind this is probably one of the best online-spaces you could have come to as a pagan of color. Don't hesitate to ask tough questions or be honest. There are no "niceness police" here and your insights and experiences as a POC will not be cast aside or devalued just because it could make someone else uncomfortable.

Hope this helps a bit. Cheers!

Thanks, I noticed that TC is a safe space which is why I'm trying to become more involved an less of an socially anxious lurker.

Tags: