collapse

Author Topic: "Psychic Self-Defense" by Dion Fortune  (Read 3948 times)

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
"Psychic Self-Defense" by Dion Fortune
« on: July 21, 2011, 08:12:27 pm »
The book listed above was recommended in a book I'm currently reading. I was wondering if (A) anyone had read this book and (B) if you have, if you would recommend it. Why or why not?
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Erinnightwalker

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://nightwalkinghedgehog.wordpress.com/
Re: "Psychic Self-Defense" by Dion Fortune
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 09:22:07 pm »
Quote from: SatSekhem;6957
The book listed above was recommended in a book I'm currently reading. I was wondering if (A) anyone had read this book and (B) if you have, if you would recommend it. Why or why not?

A) I have read it as a PDF on my computer. 103 pages with no pictures.

B) I would recommend it, if only as a historical curiosity. The language can be a bit odd at times, but there are a lot of interesting stories about "psychic attack" and what was done to combat it. I'm not sure if I'd take it all as true, but it is interesting.
The Nightwalking Hedgehog
I make ceramic art and am currently taking commissions. Have dream altar ware you\'ve always wanted, or a statue for a deity or spirit that you could never find? PM or email me and I\'ll see what I can do ;)

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 09:49:51 pm »

I think it's well worth reading for people who can keep the historical and authorial context in mind while they read.

Authorial in that Fortune was *not* Pagan - she was very much an esoteric thinker and practitioner, but they're not interchangeable things. Some of how she views the world, and the entities in it is very much in line with my own thoughts - but some of it isn't. Working through that can be complicated, because of the ways some esoteric writers forget that part (so pass on bits of what she said in ways that may not supported by what she actually said in context - the "All Gods are one God" bit is a case in point.)

And the other part is that she was writing quite some time ago, and some of how we've learned to talk about various subjects has grown and changed. She's highlighting a lot of very unsubtle stories, mostly, and these days, for example, there's a lot more general conversation of the less major, more subtle stuff. But it's easy to read Psychic Self Defense and start seeing psychic attack around every corner (much like it's easy for first year med students to think they're developing every disease they're studying...) when that isn't actually true.

For those reasons, I don't necessarily suggest it as an early read - but I think there's a lot of great stuff in there once people have some context to put it in.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 02:39:41 am »

Yea, it's on our covens recommended reading list. Psychic Self Defence, and The Mystical Qabalah are both good recommended reads from Fortune.
Semper Fidelis

Etheric1

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 01:59:28 am »

I have this book.  It's been awhile since I've read it.  (Had to go hunt it down from my library).  From what I remember, it was pretty good.  I'm going to review it tonight, and I'll do a followup post if there is something that bothers me in a big way.

However, the best book I've read on the topic is Protection and Reversal Magick: A Witches Defense Manual by Jason Miller.  Although it is mostly geared toward Wicca, I think the concepts are useful irrespective of one's path.
No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy. - Mel\'s Law of Dark Fluffs.
Nothing is more despicable than respect based on fear. – Albert Camus
You can easily judge the character of a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them. - unknown
“We cannot change our memories, but we can change their meaning and the power they have over us” - David Seamands

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 06:27:46 am »

I found it a fascinating read, what with all the first-hand accounts. I agree, though, that the reader needs to keep in mind that it was written around 1930. I thought it seemed weird-ish to me just because of my age. :ashamed:
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Tags: