Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: What's This With WordPress?  (Read 4082 times)

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
What's This With WordPress?
« on: February 17, 2020, 03:23:22 am »
I'm on my lunch break at work and just tried to make a quick post. I have used this computer before with no issues. Here's what I get, every time, with both Chrome and Edge (Windows 10):

I thought the Forum software was SMF. Why am I getting a WordPress error message?

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: What's This With WordPress?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 01:53:54 pm »
I'm on my lunch break at work and just tried to make a quick post. I have used this computer before with no issues. Here's what I get, every time, with both Chrome and Edge (Windows 10):

I thought the Forum software was SMF. Why am I getting a WordPress error message?

The forum is SMF. The main site is Wordpress. The wiki is Docuwiki. All three are linked somewhat.  Unfortunately, I can't read anything important (like the address bar, the Wordfence message, etc.) in that screenshot so I can't tell you what might be happening. :(
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 02:41:36 am »
The forum is SMF. The main site is Wordpress. The wiki is Docuwiki. All three are linked somewhat.  Unfortunately, I can't read anything important (like the address bar, the Wordfence message, etc.) in that screenshot so I can't tell you what might be happening. :(

Please PM me a good email address for you. I'll send you the original photo----Eric.

Edit To Add: And this time it worked with no issues. On the same computer. Crazy.
--------Eric H. Bowen
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 08:30:59 pm »
Please PM me a good email address for you. I'll send you the original photo----Eric.

Edit To Add: And this time it worked with no issues. On the same computer. Crazy.
Original photo sent; it was 7 MB. If that's too big for your inbox, let me know and I'll crunch it and re-send.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

--------Eric H. Bowen

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 08:18:23 am »
Original photo sent; it was 7 MB. If that's too big for your inbox, let me know and I'll crunch it and re-send.

I got it and just looked at it. Unfortunately, it is even less helpful than most Wordfence messages. Wordfence is a necessary "defense system" for this website. It helps prevent hacking and blocks a huge number of bots and other nastiness. Unfortunately, it occasionally blocks legit usage when something weird goes on with a connection to the site or someone has their browser configured to behave in an abnormal manner that makes it look like a script pretending to be a browser. The former problem generally only affects a few pages of the site and usually self-corrects with time (as you saw). The later problem generally affects every page on the site and is fixed by the user reconfiguring their browser to look like a browser. :)
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Tags:

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 218
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Allaya, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Ashmire, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

'Up All Night' Coordinator:
Altair

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Chatelaine, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal