"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Forums: Suggestion: "The Story Room"  (Read 1385 times)

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
Suggestion: "The Story Room"
« on: October 17, 2017, 11:17:18 am »
November is just a few weeks away and that means it's nearly time for National Novel Writing Month.

For those who aren't familiar with it, NaNoWriMo is a month long  frenzied challenge to write a 50,000 word novel (or other writing project if you're feeling rebellious). 

Time to give a shout-out if you're participating this year.  Tell us about your project and how long you've been partaking in the November madness.

In support of NaNoWriMo and other projects (I know we have a lot of authors, both for-real and would-be on this forum), I suggest a sub-forum which is dedicated to reading and commenting on excerpts for literary works-in-progress, with appropriate board license modifications which will, as far as practical, not compromise the future copyright status of the completed work when published. (Disclaimer: I'm not a copyright attorney, nor do I play one on TV!) I would also suggest that this subforum be made members-only and placed off-limits to search engines, again, at least as far as practical.

My proposed name is drawn from Chuck Jones's autobiographical recollection of the rooms where the great Looney Tunes cartoons were hammered out into a form suitable for production. Also in honor of Mr. Jones, I would suggest special rules for two modes of operation as requested by the author of the excerpt: "The 'Yes' session", in which no negative feedback whatsoever is permitted. You can comment on what works; you can suggest ways to improve on what you think doesn't work, but if you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all. This is how the Looney Tunes creators worked; Chuck said that if the comments just went flat the director would know that his idea wasn't working and take it back out for further review (Of course, there are a lot of times on a board like this when a discussion item falls flat for sheer lack of interest, not because it doesn't work...). Contrariwise, an author should be able to request "Open Season," in which both positive and negative feedback is solicited.

Just a thought.
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: Suggestion: "The Story Room"
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 12:57:38 am »
I would also suggest that this subforum be made members-only and placed off-limits to search engines, again, at least as far as practical.

Responding just to say that this suggestion isn't being ignored, but has been referred to people who can respond better than I can; hopefully it won't be long before one of them comes along to address it.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
Re: Suggestion: "The Story Room"
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 02:04:57 pm »
Also in honor of Mr. Jones, I would suggest special rules for two modes of operation as requested by the author of the excerpt: "The 'Yes' session", in which no negative feedback whatsoever is permitted.

Blog post on "The 'Yes' Session" from Rather than Forget.

Link to Chuck's memoir of the subject on Google Books.
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

Tags: