Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Rep Button  (Read 3885 times)

Gnowan

• Sr. Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Rep Button
« on: February 25, 2016, 04:42:20 am »
Is that like a "Like" on Facebook?  And what does it add to the poster? (I understand it's reputation, of course!, but I don't see reputation shown.)  I just noticed this button after reading a comment and I'd like to bump some of the posts I've read that I find exceptional, but what will clicking that button actually do on this forum?

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Rep Button
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 07:55:02 am »
Quote from: Gnowan;187204
Is that like a "Like" on Facebook?  And what does it add to the poster? (I understand it's reputation, of course!, but I don't see reputation shown.)  I just noticed this button after reading a comment and I'd like to bump some of the posts I've read that I find exceptional, but what will clicking that button actually do on this forum?

In the current forum software (from what Randall's said, this will be changing in the new software, so the answer here not relevant for very long...), here's what happens.

You click the button, leave a short message if you like. The person who posted the post you gave reputation to can see the last five rep given on their Settings page. (The one you get if you go to Settings in the top menu on the web: at work right now so I can't check what that looks like on Tapatalk.)

It also gives a boost on the little widget to the left of your posts (again, on the web forum, don't remember what it looks like on Tapatalk): the more reputation you have, the longer the band of little green rectangular dots just above your user icon.

It's meant basically as a measure of 'people find this person's posts of particular value' without being actually very measureable except over a long period of time.

When you see people post and say something like "Why is the rep always gone" or "I'd give you rep, but I can't", it's because the system is set up so you can't give reputation to the same people repeatedly: you have to give it to other people a certain number of times before it'll let you give it to a particular person again.

I personally find rep mostly useful for being aware a particular post has been unusually useful to someone, or more than one someone: those are the ones I often pull out into a separate file to develop into longer posts for my Seeking site or other writing when I get a chance.

Oh, one other note about the settings page: there are three different colors there. Green is positive rep. Red is negative. (And I discovered accidentally, it's really easy to hit the wrong button, and there's no way to fix it except by asking a staff member) Gray comes from someone with very few posts on the board, and is basically 'this isn't adding to the actual calculation of your reptutation because they're very new'.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 08:01:33 am »
Quote from: Gnowan;187204
Is that like a "Like" on Facebook?

Jenett did an excellent job of explaining how it works here. We will be moving to an SMF board as soon as I find the 4-5 days in a row free that it might take. We purchased a nice "Like" mod that works a lot more like likes on FB -- you can like a post (or a thread, I think). We'll be using this into of Rep on the new board because it is less "political" than rep. Some people use (MISUSE, IMHO) rep here to reward people they like and punish people they don't instead of using it because the person make a particularly good/helpful post or a really bad/harmful post.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

unveiledartist

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 08:09:00 am »
Quote from: Jenett;187206
In the current forum software (from what Randall's said, this will be changing in the new software, so the answer here not relevant for very long...), here's what happens.

You click the button, leave a short message if you like. The person who posted the post you gave reputation to can see the last five rep given on their Settings page. (The one you get if you go to Settings in the top menu on the web: at work right now so I can't check what that looks like on Tapatalk.)

It also gives a boost on the little widget to the left of your posts (again, on the web forum, don't remember what it looks like on Tapatalk): the more reputation you have, the longer the band of little green rectangular dots just above your user icon.

It's meant basically as a measure of 'people find this person's posts of particular value' without being actually very measureable except over a long period of time.

When you see people post and say something like "Why is the rep always gone" or "I'd give you rep, but I can't", it's because the system is set up so you can't give reputation to the same people repeatedly: you have to give it to other people a certain number of times before it'll let you give it to a particular person again.

I personally find rep mostly useful for being aware a particular post has been unusually useful to someone, or more than one someone: those are the ones I often pull out into a separate file to develop into longer posts for my Seeking site or other writing when I get a chance.

Oh, one other note about the settings page: there are three different colors there. Green is positive rep. Red is negative. (And I discovered accidentally, it's really easy to hit the wrong button, and there's no way to fix it except by asking a staff member) Gray comes from someone with very few posts on the board, and is basically 'this isn't adding to the actual calculation of your reptutation because they're very new'.

Quote from: RandallS;187207
Jenett did an excellent job of explaining how it works here. We will be moving to an SMF board as soon as I find the 4-5 days in a row free that it might take. We purchased a nice "Like" mod that works a lot more like likes on FB -- you can like a post (or a thread, I think). We'll be using this into of Rep on the new board because it is less "political" than rep. Some people use (MISUSE, IMHO) rep here to reward people they like and punish people they don't instead of using it because the person make a particularly good/helpful post or a really bad/harmful post.

Where os the rep button?:confused:

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 06:40:13 pm »
Quote from: FreeSpirit;187208
Where os the rep button?:confused:

It's the little star in the bottom-left corner of each post (the report-to-mod button is next to it).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Gnowan

• Sr. Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 11:47:10 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;187206

You're my first rep bump! :)  So you can see the little comment I left, but no one else can?

Anyhoo, doesn't seem this will matter much soon as TC is moving.  Swell.  Another new trick this old dog will have to learn!

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 06:32:26 am »
Quote from: Gnowan;187335
You're my first rep bump! :)  So you can see the little comment I left, but no one else can?

Exactly like that!

The other thing I should mention is that I can't see that it was you who left it. Some people put their name/initials in the message to help with that. I can only see the message.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Tags: