Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: General Feedback: Post Major Issues on the New SMF Board Here  (Read 7412 times)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Post Major Issues on the New SMF Board Here
« on: May 25, 2017, 02:45:42 pm »
If you notice a major issue with the new SMF board software, please post about it here. Please be as specific as you can including links to posts/etc, if needed.

NOTE: BBCode errors in old posts moved from the old vBulletin board are expected due to the difference in BBCode between the two systems. Please do not report BBCode issues in posts. Thank you.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Post Major Issues on the New SMF Board Here
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 10:15:32 am »
If you notice a major issue with the new SMF board software, please post about it here. Please be as specific as you can including links to posts/etc, if needed.

Things discovered while making a reply over here:

When I posted the entry, it inserted extra carriage returns between the lines. (So two blank lines between paragraphs instead of one. I have the rich text editor on. On preview of this post, it's doing the same thing, but if I remove the blank lines, it squashes everything together. (Leaving the extra spaces in this one, so you can see what it looks like)

When I went in to edit that (immediately after) I could do so, but there was no space to enter a reason that I could see.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 10:24:56 am »
When I posted the entry, it inserted extra carriage returns between the lines. (So two blank lines between paragraphs instead of one. I have the rich text editor on. On preview of this post, it's doing the same thing, but if I remove the blank lines, it squashes everything together. (Leaving the extra spaces in this one, so you can see what it looks like)

I have no idea what makes any online rich text editor do what it does. My solution on every board that has one is to turn it off so I avoid having to try to figure out how it wants me to type. :(

When I went in to edit that (immediately after) I could do so, but there was no space to enter a reason that I could see.

We could either have a reason for editing box (but no way to force people to use it) OR have the forum record post history (as one interferes with the other). I choose the post history so staff can actually SEE the various version of a post..
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs

Amphibian

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Magpie eclectic feral urban hedge druid(ish)
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 12:55:33 pm »

I'm not seeing a way to get to my profile to change avatars. The popup hoverbox...isn't.

EDIT: the link on a post of mine works, but that's kinda clumsy.
All knowledge is worth having.
It doesn't stop being magic just because you know how it works.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 01:19:35 pm »
I'm not seeing a way to get to my profile to change avatars. The popup hoverbox...isn't.

If the menu does not pop up whn you hover over your avatar in the top menu bar, you can just click on your avatar in the top menu bar and it will take you to your profile page and you can use the menus there.
Randall

Amphibian

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 02:35:19 pm »
If the menu does not pop up whn you hover over your avatar in the top menu bar, you can just click on your avatar in the top menu bar and it will take you to your profile page and you can use the menus there.

Clicking also does nothing.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 02:52:01 pm »
Clicking also does nothing.

Then there is something "wrong" with the way your browser is displaying things. Unless we aren't talking about the same "avatar image" location.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

The avatar image you need to click on is the tiny one at the very right of the top menu bar (between the search box and the edge of the browser) in the image above. That's probably what you are using but it is better to be sure.
Randall

Amphibian

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 02:55:44 pm »
Then there is something "wrong" with the way your browser is displaying things. Unless we aren't talking about the same "avatar image" location.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

The avatar image you need to click on is the tiny one at the very right of the top menu bar (between the search box and the edge of the browser) in the image above. That's probably what you are using but it is better to be sure.

Ah, no, i was clicking on the large icon displayed on the left, just below the menubar. didn't even see the (frankly miniscule) icon *in* the bar (for me it's on the right)

PEBKAC, I suppose.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 03:14:33 pm »
Ah, no, i was clicking on the large icon displayed on the left, just below the menubar. didn't even see the (frankly miniscule) icon *in* the bar (for me it's on the right)

I'm glad I posted the picture. I had not realized until I did that there could be a large number of copies of one's avatar on a page of the forum.
Randall

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2017, 03:40:18 pm »
I'm glad I posted the picture. I had not realized until I did that there could be a large number of copies of one's avatar on a page of the forum.

n+2, where n is the number of posts one has made to the page (which of course is zero if one isn't in a thread).

(Which is a bit of a frivolous reply, but I like saying n, and I wanted to make a reply to something just now, so I could check something else.)

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 02:25:10 pm »

When I hit 'post', I am not taken to the thread I posted in, but rather to the subforum the thread is in.  Is there a toggle to fix that somehow?
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 04:33:55 pm »
When I hit 'post', I am not taken to the thread I posted in, but rather to the subforum the thread is in.  Is there a toggle to fix that somehow?

If you  go into the "Look and Layout" bit of the Account settings (From the web: click on tiny user icon in the top right, hover over "Modify profile", menu comes up, go to "look and layout") there's a checkbox that says "Return to topics after posting by default."

It's not checked by default. Check it, save your settings, and it should take you back to the thread now.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017, 05:01:36 pm »

I guess I really can't call this a major issue, but the description on the "Religion and Philosophy" index board bothers me a bit. "Only for posting articles..." Makes it sound like the Articles section and not debate and discussion.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2017, 05:35:37 pm »
I guess I really can't call this a major issue, but the description on the "Religion and Philosophy" index board bothers me a bit. "Only for posting articles..." Makes it sound like the Articles section and not debate and discussion.

I'm not seeing this. The only boards marked "Only for posting articles" that I know of are the sub-boards of the Articles board (which were not visible as boards on the old vBulletin system but were used behind the scenes for the vB Articles System.

Heck, I don't think we even have a "Religion and Philosophy" board, just a Religion and Philosophy category.

Randall

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2017, 06:59:29 pm »
I'm not seeing this. The only boards marked "Only for posting articles" that I know of are the sub-boards of the Articles board (which were not visible as boards on the old vBulletin system but were used behind the scenes for the vB Articles System.

Heck, I don't think we even have a "Religion and Philosophy" board, just a Religion and Philosophy category.

That's what I'm talking about; the R&P category. And I'm seeing it on Tapatalk; I'm on the road now and spending very little time on the browser. Log in to Tapatalk and I think you'll see what I mean.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

Tags: