collapse

Author Topic: Issues logging in on mobile devices  (Read 2561 times)

Chabas

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 656
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Issues logging in on mobile devices
« on: July 02, 2011, 02:15:36 am »
This morning I tried to log in to the new forum on my iPad and iPhone. In both cases, I log in, get the welcome message, then get forwarded to home page... and am logged out again when I arrive there. Trying again gets me the same result. Anyone else having the same issue, or have any idea what's causing it?

--Chabas
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 03:12:48 pm by RandallS »

Star

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 98
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Issues logging in on mobile devices
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 05:49:33 am »
Quote from: Chabas;260
This morning I tried to log in to the new forum on my iPad and iPhone. In both cases, I log in, get the welcome message, then get forwarded to home page... and am logged out again when I arrive there. Trying again gets me the same result. Anyone else having the same issue, or have any idea what's causing it?

--Chabas

 

I'm on my iPad now.  Haven't had any problems with the phone either.  Then again, I have it set up to remember me, so I'm not actually logging in each time...  So if it's something about the login process I might not have run into it.
"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Journal: Star\'s Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Musings: The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

RandallS

  • Administrator
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: NE Ohio
  • Posts: 10092
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 225
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Issues logging in on mobile devices
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 07:59:36 am »
Quote from: Chabas;260
This morning I tried to log in to the new forum on my iPad and iPhone. In both cases, I log in, get the welcome message, then get forwarded to home page... and am logged out again when I arrive there. Trying again gets me the same result. Anyone else having the same issue, or have any idea what's causing it?

I did add the ability to log in with your email address as well as your account name (on the day before yesterday). Perhaps that is causing this -- assuming you could log in before. As I don't have any mobile devices so there this no way I can actually test them. And if they don't work it will be next to impossible for me to play them as that requires being able to use one to see what is happening, then try to fix it, test the fix, etc.  I will disable that and see if that changes anything for you.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free
OSR.SPACE: Old School Tabletop RPG Community

Star

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 98
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Issues logging in on mobile devices
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 08:45:11 am »
Quote from: RandallS;263
I did add the ability to log in with your email address as well as your account name (on the day before yesterday). Perhaps that is causing this -- assuming you could log in before. As I don't have any mobile devices so there this no way I can actually test them. And if they don't work it will be next to impossible for me to play them as that requires being able to use one to see what is happening, then try to fix it, test the fix, etc.  I will disable that and see if that changes anything for you.


Chabas, if that doesn't fix it, let me know and I'll try logging out and back in to see whether I get the same problems.  I also recommend force-closing Safari on both devices--I've had occasional glitches on other sites and this seems to help sometimes.

Randall, there was talk at one point of installing a plugin that would allow access via an Android/iPhone/iPad app...  What's the status on that?
"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Journal: Star\'s Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Musings: The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

RandallS

  • Administrator
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: NE Ohio
  • Posts: 10092
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 225
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Issues logging in on mobile devices
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 09:09:29 am »
Quote from: Star;264
Chabas, if that doesn't fix it, let me know and I'll try logging out and back in to see whether I get the same problems.  I also recommend force-closing Safari on both devices--I've had occasional glitches on other sites and this seems to help sometimes.

I've removed the plugin that modifies the login.

Quote
Randall, there was talk at one point of installing a plugin that would allow access via an Android/iPhone/iPad app...  What's the status on that?

The problem I'm having with these apps are:

a) they ignore some plugins that we use to limit what members can do and unlike the Lightweight style, there doesn't seem to be any way to prohibit certain membergroups from using them, so if someone refuses to limit what they do to match our rules voluntarily, all be can do is ban them from the board, we can't just stop them from using the app on the board.

b) some mods apparently break these apps but there is no list of which do.

c) given the above, I'm hesitant to try these when I cannot test them.  

I'm willing to install tapatalk to see what happens, but members would need to know that it might be turned off at any time -- even if they've just spent US$3 to buy the "pro" version of the app.  I'll see about setting it up this morning.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free
OSR.SPACE: Old School Tabletop RPG Community

Star

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 98
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Issues logging in on mobile devices
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 09:49:48 am »
Quote from: RandallS;265

The problem I'm having with these apps are:

 
Ergh.  Yeah, that doesn't sound so great.  I can test it out, but I admit I'm a little nervous about that stuff too.

It would've been nice, but if it doesn't work out it doesn't work out.  Even just the lightweight theme helps a lot, for me--I can't do mod stuff in it, but I don't need to all that often and can always switch back to the default theme for that if I need to.  For day-to-day reading, if the app doesn't work out, the lightweight theme suits me pretty well too.
"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Journal: Star\'s Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Musings: The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Chabas

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 656
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Issues logging in on mobile devices
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 09:57:18 am »
:cool:
Quote from: Star;264
Chabas, if that doesn't fix it, let me know and I'll try logging out and back in to see whether I get the same problems.  I also recommend force-closing Safari on both devices--I've had occasional glitches on other sites and this seems to help sometimes.
 status on that?


Apparently it was an issue of some sort on my side. Randall's removing the mod did nothing. I ended up just clearing the cache and cookies on the iPad and that did the trick.

--Chabas

Chabas

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 656
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Issues logging in on mobile devices
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 10:10:48 am »
Quote from: RandallS;265
I'm willing to install tapatalk to see what happens, but members would need to know that it might be turned off at any time -- even if they've just spent US$3 to buy the "pro" version of the app.  I'll see about setting it up this morning.

Trying things out via tapatalk on the iPad now. Looks to be working pretty well. I felt fairly confident downloading it, since my boyfriend can use it for other forums as well.

Star, it looks like they just recently added mod/admin access as well - I got a popup saying as much - and it looks really easily accessible.

--Chabas

Star

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 98
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Issues logging in on mobile devices
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 10:21:59 am »
Quote from: Chabas;270
Trying things out via tapatalk on the iPad now. Looks to be working pretty well. I felt fairly confident downloading it, since my boyfriend can use it for other forums as well.

Star, it looks like they just recently added mod/admin access as well - I got a popup saying as much - and it looks really easily accessible.

--Chabas


Cool.  I'm at work now, but I'll try to get it downloaded tonight and probably start playing with it tomorrow.

As far as I know, TC is the only forum it would get used for in my household, but I'm not too worried about the $3 if it doesn't work out.  If nothing else, I've surely earned at least $3 of mad money out of all this overtime.  LOL
"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Journal: Star\'s Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Musings: The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

RandallS

  • Administrator
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: NE Ohio
  • Posts: 10092
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 225
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Issues logging in on mobile devices
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 10:45:08 am »
Quote from: Chabas;270
Trying things out via tapatalk on the iPad now. Looks to be working pretty well. I felt fairly confident downloading it, since my boyfriend can use it for other forums as well.

Here's what I posted on this: ADMIN: Testing Tapatalk for Mobile Phones

My main concerns from members are:

a) Bitching that they wasted $3 if we end up turning it off at some point.
b) Bitching because the people with server access to fix problems don't have a smart device to check out and fix their issues.  (This will be considered extremely rude and annoying behavior.)

I tried to cover this in my Admin post. :)
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free
OSR.SPACE: Old School Tabletop RPG Community

RandallS

  • Administrator
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: NE Ohio
  • Posts: 10092
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 225
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Issues logging in on mobile devices
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 10:45:49 am »
Quote from: Chabas;267
Apparently it was an issue of some sort on my side. Randall's removing the mod did nothing. I ended up just clearing the cache and cookies on the iPad and that did the trick.

I'm going to re-enable the mod.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free
OSR.SPACE: Old School Tabletop RPG Community

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
1147 Views
Last post August 17, 2012, 11:53:08 am
by Altair
3 Replies
938 Views
Last post January 24, 2013, 01:16:43 pm
by Laveth
2 Replies
751 Views
Last post January 27, 2013, 02:29:00 pm
by Revenant
6 Replies
1168 Views
Last post March 20, 2013, 06:40:45 pm
by Snowdrop
9 Replies
3161 Views
Last post January 12, 2016, 02:29:54 pm
by Nothingness

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 26
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Co-Hosts:
LyricFox & Randall

Senior Staff:
Darkhawk

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Sunflower

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Board Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, HarpingHawke, Jenett, Morag, rocquelaire, Sefiru

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Reserve Staff:
Aisling

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Cauldron Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]

Site Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
Webmaster:
Randall