"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Is There a Way to Ignore New Group Messages for Groups You Don't Belong To?  (Read 3075 times)

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
I looked through everything in the settings section and didn't see a way to ignore groups and hitting mark forum read doesn't seem to actually work. The page will refresh and appear to work correctly, then if I hit New Group Messages again it brings up the same posts I just marked read.

Suggestions?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 02:56:18 pm by RandallS »

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Quote from: Asch;2476
I looked through everything in the settings section and didn't see a way to ignore groups and hitting mark forum read doesn't seem to actually work. The page will refresh and appear to work correctly, then if I hit New Group Messages again it brings up the same posts I just marked read.

Social groups are not as well-supported by vBulletin as they should be, unfortunately. You've hit one of the areas that isn't handled well.  The best way I've heard of to do groups is to only visit the groups you belong to (or are interested in) and read messages there. (The only way to remove a thread from the "New Group Messages" list seems to be to actually view the last message in the specific thread.)

Marking a group read also has a never fixed "issue" that hits certain browsers more than others. You mark a group read from the dropdown menu and you get a blank page. You fast solution seems to be to edit your the address in the address bar and remove the final "&..." group from the ampersand on and reload the page.  Sometimes you have to mark a group read twice in a row before it actually does as well.  Both problems seem to be caused by how various browsers implement javascript, sessions, and cookies.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Quote from: RandallS;2479
Social groups are not as well-supported by vBulletin as they should be, unfortunately. You've hit one of the areas that isn't handled well.  The best way I've heard of to do groups is to only visit the groups you belong to (or are interested in) and read messages there.

An easy way to just visit the groups you are a member of is to go to the main Forum page. If you scroll down to just past the Top 10 Stats box, you will see the groups you are a member of listed in a similar manner to standard forums.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Tags: