Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Author Topic: Different post reply problem.  (Read 2485 times)

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
Different post reply problem.
« on: December 02, 2011, 04:26:52 pm »
The problem is that I will have posted a response in a thread. I leave the site or do some other things, come back to the thread, and my response isn't there. I don't leave the thread in question until after the new page (supposedly with my response) starts to load. This has happened to me twice now. The first time, I figured I was nuts, but I know that I responded to the DivEx thread for Starlilica.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Different post reply problem.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 05:58:45 pm »
Quote from: SatSekhem;32717
The problem is that I will have posted a response in a thread. I leave the site or do some other things, come back to the thread, and my response isn't there. I don't leave the thread in question until after the new page (supposedly with my response) starts to load. This has happened to me twice now. The first time, I figured I was nuts, but I know that I responded to the DivEx thread for Starlilica.

If the post isn't there, you probably haven't hit "submit reply." If you hit that it is either going to post or give you an error message. Have you checked the back in the thread to see if it posted? It will generally not show your own posts a new (as you have seen it when you wrote it) so it ca be easy to think it did not post (when it has), especially if several other people have poasted after you.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 09:15:22 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;32734
If the post isn't there, you probably haven't hit "submit reply." If you hit that it is either going to post or give you an error message. Have you checked the back in the thread to see if it posted? It will generally not show your own posts a new (as you have seen it when you wrote it) so it ca be easy to think it did not post (when it has), especially if several other people have poasted after you.

I went to the thread and hit refresh twice just to make sure that I wasn't nuts. Also, I clicked the back button a few times but couldn't get to my response, since apparently, I had typed it out in a different tab. (Note to self: few tabs.) However, I am so beyond positive that I hit "submit reply." I'll pay closer attention from now on, though.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 10:13:28 pm »
Quote from: SatSekhem;32774
I went to the thread and hit refresh twice just to make sure that I wasn't nuts. Also, I clicked the back button a few times but couldn't get to my response, since apparently, I had typed it out in a different tab.

The back button probably would not show you your replies as it shows copies of the pages from your browser's cache if possible instead of freshly downloaded copies. The old cached copies probably do not include your new post.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Marilyn/Absentminded

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 11:29:59 pm »
Quote from: SatSekhem;32717

Sometimes when you write a reply somebody else is writing at the same time.  If they finish and post theirs first, yours will not post right away.  Instead it will show as a preview on your post page, with the message that there are new replies in the thread.  When that happens you have to hit 'submit post' again to actually have your post transfer.

If you are navigating away from the page after hitting post without staying to see it appear in the thread, you won't know if it has been held up because of new replies.  In that case the software will treat it as if you canceled your post.

It is probably best to stay on the page until your reply has actually posted, especially if it is a busy enough thread that other people might be replying at the same time.

Absent
I smile when I\'m angry.  I cheat and I lie
I do what I have to do to get by
But I know what is wrong, and I know what is right
And I die for the truth in my secret life

In My Secret Life, L. Cohen

Tags: