collapse

* Recent Posts

Re: new & uncertain! by PerditaPickle
[Yesterday at 07:00:39 pm]


Re: Back pain by Micheál
[Yesterday at 06:42:53 am]


Re: Favorite Beer? by Micheál
[Yesterday at 06:31:29 am]


new & uncertain! by shoemakerlevy9
[January 22, 2021, 01:36:47 pm]


Re: Pagan Traitor Storms the US Capitol? by Altair
[January 22, 2021, 12:44:20 pm]

Author Topic: Can't see thread  (Read 2875 times)

RecycledBenedict

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2015
  • Posts: 851
  • Total likes: 6
    • View Profile
Can't see thread
« on: January 10, 2016, 08:35:02 am »
I just responded in a thread in the beginner-friendly area with a name similar to Confused. Think that I am a Pagan, but when i click on the thread my screen goes white. My screen does not go white when I click on other threads. I believe that i might have become logged out before. I am not a computer geek, so i have no idea what is happening technologically.

Darkhawk

  • Senior Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 5028
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 931
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; CoX; Etc.
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, she, they
Re: Can't see thread
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 12:38:28 pm »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;184940
I just responded in a thread in the beginner-friendly area with a name similar to Confused. Think that I am a Pagan, but when i click on the thread my screen goes white. My screen does not go white when I click on other threads. I believe that i might have become logged out before. I am not a computer geek, so i have no idea what is happening technologically.

 
There has been an intermittently recurring board issue causing this at intervals.  At first I thought it had to do with server work Randall was doing but since it appears to keep happening I don't know.

The good news is: wait for a little while and it will work again.  For some values of "a little while"; I was getting the blank white page on this thread three or four hours after it was posted, but it's back up now.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Allaya

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Sep 2013
  • Location: Out of My Mind
  • Posts: 933
  • Country: no
  • Total likes: 71
    • View Profile
  • Religion: It's Complicated
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Re: Can't see thread
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 12:49:24 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;184942
There has been an intermittently recurring board issue causing this at intervals.  At first I thought it had to do with server work Randall was doing but since it appears to keep happening I don't know.

The good news is: wait for a little while and it will work again.  For some values of "a little while"; I was getting the blank white page on this thread three or four hours after it was posted, but it's back up now.

 

Randall, is it's of any use to you...the message on my browsers (Chrome, Firefox) is a 500 Internal server error.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

RandallS

  • Site Admin
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: NE Ohio
  • Posts: 10271
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 284
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Can't see thread
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 01:16:33 pm »
Quote from: Allaya;184943
Randall, is it's of any use to you...the message on my browsers (Chrome, Firefox) is a 500 Internal server error.

I am being to suspect that Vbulletin is breaking. This started happening after I did a security update on the server. No major chances were included, just bug/security fixes. However, Vbulletin 4.x does not handle modern versions of php very well. While we are still using an old one, (and are stuck there because of Vbulletin) some of the final fixes for our version of php seem to be causing issues -- but only with Vbulletin. Even when this board is having issues, wordpress still works on the main site, the old SMF 1.1 board still works, etc.

We moved to Vbulletin in the hope of getting away from issues like this. Unfortunately, the new version of Vbulletin (5.x) sucks big time as it tries hard to be more like facebook and less like a message board. The company behind Vbulletin has greatly slowed support for older versions in an apparent attempt to get people to move to the 5.x version, but few people want it.

I'm not sure what the solution is at the moment.  When we start getting the white pages instead of messages, the only thing that works is restarting things (sometimes just apache and mysql) other times the entire server. Sometimes it takes a couple of attempts. :(
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

RecycledBenedict

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2015
  • Posts: 851
  • Total likes: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Can't see thread
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 01:22:40 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;184945

I'm not sure what the solution is at the moment.  When we start getting the white pages instead of messages, the only thing that works is restarting things (sometimes just apache and mysql) other times the entire server. Sometimes it takes a couple of attempts. :(


The website is back to normal now, it seems.

RandallS

  • Site Admin
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: NE Ohio
  • Posts: 10271
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 284
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Can't see thread
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 02:43:51 pm »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;184947
The website is back to normal now, it seems.

The forum is back because Darkhawk emailed me saying it was down and I restarted server stuff until it started displaying messages again.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

RecycledBenedict

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2015
  • Posts: 851
  • Total likes: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Can't see thread
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 06:31:49 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;184948
The forum is back because Darkhawk emailed me saying it was down and I restarted server stuff until it started displaying messages again.


Thank you for the work you dedicate to keeping this community running. May Hermes-Thoth bless you.

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
2643 Views
Last post July 10, 2011, 09:12:18 am
by xerces_blue
4 Replies
1875 Views
Last post November 14, 2011, 11:08:28 am
by spoOk
8 Replies
4192 Views
Last post March 25, 2012, 08:36:37 am
by Marilyn/Absentminded
See the Dots

Started by mlr52 Pets

9 Replies
1315 Views
Last post March 01, 2012, 04:25:01 pm
by Waterfall
7 Replies
886 Views
Last post March 04, 2012, 04:05:00 am
by firefly

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 32
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal