Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Avoiding Newsposter?  (Read 2950 times)

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Avoiding Newsposter?
« on: September 24, 2015, 03:48:28 pm »
Please, please, please...is there a way to prevent threads posted by Newsposter from showing up in my New Posts list?

I really, truly don't like the constant stream of everyday news items showing up on TC and, rather than kick up a fuss since I'm sure others like them or don't mind, am wondering if I can turn them off or block them.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Avoiding Newsposter?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 04:04:48 pm »
Quote from: Allaya;180408
Please, please, please...is there a way to prevent threads posted by Newsposter from showing up in my New Posts list?

You can block the News boards from showing up in your New Posts stream. Go to Settings (up at the very top of the board). Then General Settings on the page that comes up (in the My Settings block on the left). On the General Settings page, scroll down to the last item 'Exclude Forums from "Get New Posts"'. Control-Select the News & Politics boards (4 of them). They should all be highlighted. Click the "Save Changes" button.  

You can do this for most of the boards we have, not just the news boards.  Note that the boards are still there and you can see/go to them, you just should not see posts from those boards on your new posts list.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 04:07:07 pm »
Quote from: Allaya;180408

I really, truly don't like the constant stream of everyday news items showing up on TC and, rather than kick up a fuss since I'm sure others like them or don't mind, am wondering if I can turn them off or block them.

You can turn off which forums posts you don't want to see on your settings page. Click "general settings" (in the sidebar) then right down the bottom of the page it says "Exclude forums from get new posts" and just highlight what you don't want to see and click "save changes"
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 07:12:23 am »
Quote from: RandallS;180410
You can block the News boards from showing up in your New Posts stream. Go to Settings (up at the very top of the board). Then General Settings on the page that comes up (in the My Settings block on the left). On the General Settings page, scroll down to the last item 'Exclude Forums from "Get New Posts"'. Control-Select the News & Politics boards (4 of them). They should all be highlighted. Click the "Save Changes" button.  

You can do this for most of the boards we have, not just the news boards.  Note that the boards are still there and you can see/go to them, you just should not see posts from those boards on your new posts list.

Quote from: Jake_;180411
You can turn off which forums posts you don't want to see on your settings page. Click "general settings" (in the sidebar) then right down the bottom of the page it says "Exclude forums from get new posts" and just highlight what you don't want to see and click "save changes"

Thank you both! I've got it sorted now. Much, much better. :)
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 09:01:20 am »
Quote from: Allaya;180432
Thank you both! I've got it sorted now. Much, much better. :)

One thing I forgot to mention, if you ever decide to add or remove some folders from "exclude status" you will need to remember to check to be sure that all of the folders you want to exclude (including any you excluded previously) are still marked before clicking the save changes button.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 11:48:48 am »
Quote from: RandallS;180435
One thing I forgot to mention, if you ever decide to add or remove some folders from "exclude status" you will need to remember to check to be sure that all of the folders you want to exclude (including any you excluded previously) are still marked before clicking the save changes button.

Good to know, thanks.  :)

Tags: