"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Profile & Settings: Avatar Help: Help With Your Avatar  (Read 50839 times)

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: Avatar Help: Help With Your Avatar
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2017, 11:09:12 pm »
... not to mention my Wiki contributions on sacred geometry, where seeing the images is crucial....

<looks> Wow, yeah, they are indeed.

That, too, might not require a third-party host, though the Wiki articles and their comments got transformed into regular threads when we rearranged the furniture a couple months back (they can be found in the Special Forums section, as VaultWiki Forums) so the standard editing-time limits apply so you can't re-add them to the articles as images/attachments yourself. But I thiiiiink images can be uploaded directly into a post; if so, you can either make new reply posts with the images, or get staff help to have them inserted into the articles where they belong.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2017, 11:18:52 pm »
But I thiiiiink images can be uploaded directly into a post; if so, you can either make new reply posts with the images, or get staff help to have them inserted into the articles where they belong.

Attachments, at any rate, don't require a third-party host (though there are limits on how many per post and on size).

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2017, 05:27:39 pm »
Does anyone have any suggestions on alternatives to Photobucket? I've used them for years to stash images for free that get picked up in this forum for my avatar and signature--not to mention my Wiki contributions on sacred geometry, where seeing the images is crucial--but suddenly they have a policy of "no third party hosting" without ponying up bucks to upgrade one's account, which I'm not at all interested in doing.

I've used tinypic for years. The advertise themselves as "a photo and video sharing service that lets you easily upload, link, and share your images and videos on MySpace®, eBay®, Orkut Scrapbooks, blogs, and message boards." That's no guarantee that they will not get bought up by someone who wants to charge big bucks -- but so far nothing like that.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2017, 09:42:50 pm »
I've used tinypic for years. The advertise themselves as "a photo and video sharing service that lets you easily upload, link, and share your images and videos on MySpace®, eBay®, Orkut Scrapbooks, blogs, and message boards." That's no guarantee that they will not get bought up by someone who wants to charge big bucks -- but so far nothing like that.

It sounds like it's free, in which case I'm all over it.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2017, 01:18:47 pm »
It sounds like it's free, in which case I'm all over it.

It's free. You don't even have to register to use it, although registration let's you track and use your image uploads on the site.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs

Amphibian

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Magpie eclectic feral urban hedge druid(ish)
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2017, 10:08:16 am »
This discussion thread from Metafilter talks about the image hosting landscape (Several people recommend http://nearlyfreespeech.net as a very very cheap solution, but also talks about some of the other options out there and if they're sustainable.)

Wanted to throw in another rec for nearlyfreespeech.net. I use my account mostly as an image host (someday i'll write an actual website, but my HTML-fu is a bit lacking currently), and the hosting costs are in the ballpark of pennies-monthly.
All knowledge is worth having.
It doesn't stop being magic just because you know how it works.

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2017, 07:01:48 pm »
<looks> Wow, yeah, they are indeed.

That, too, might not require a third-party host, though the Wiki articles and their comments got transformed into regular threads when we rearranged the furniture a couple months back (they can be found in the Special Forums section, as VaultWiki Forums) so the standard editing-time limits apply so you can't re-add them to the articles as images/attachments yourself. But I thiiiiink images can be uploaded directly into a post; if so, you can either make new reply posts with the images, or get staff help to have them inserted into the articles where they belong.

Sunflower

Hi, Sunflower--I just got an Imgur account (blame it on being cooped up in the rural countryside on a rainy day), which seems to work for free image hosting; I tested it on my signature, and it's working.

Let me know if any staff have the time to plug the images back into the sacred geometry piece. If so, I'll migrate the relevant pics to Imgur from Photobucket and provide the links.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2017, 03:16:37 pm »
Hi, Sunflower--I just got an Imgur account (blame it on being cooped up in the rural countryside on a rainy day), which seems to work for free image hosting; I tested it on my signature, and it's working.

Let me know if any staff have the time to plug the images back into the sacred geometry piece. If so, I'll migrate the relevant pics to Imgur from Photobucket and provide the links.

I've reported your post to bring attention to it staffside; if anyone is able to find time before I can, they'll get in touch with you. If not, I can do it, but not until Thursday at the earliest, and more likely not until next weekend - my next few days will be occupied with the Big Push of transferring where-I-live-and-sleep to my new place.

Do go ahead and migrate your pics, though; it might be a few days or a week, but it will happen!

Sunflower

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2017, 08:29:41 pm »

Simpler still, at Randall's suggestion I just gave you moderator status in the subforum we ported all the Wiki articles into, so you should be able to edit them yourself now.

Sunflower

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2017, 11:57:53 pm »

<reads the small print at the bottom of the TinyPic main page>

'© 2004-2017 TinyPic®, a Photobucket Video & Photo Sharing Company'

I'd say keep an eye on their ToS.

Sunflower

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2017, 07:43:34 am »
Simpler still, at Randall's suggestion I just gave you moderator status in the subforum we ported all the Wiki articles into, so you should be able to edit them yourself now.

Done. Images are back in the sacred geometry articles.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2017, 08:49:31 pm »
Done. Images are back in the sacred geometry articles.

Thank you very much! Both for the original articles and for restoring the images.
Randall

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2017, 08:19:07 am »
Does anyone have any suggestions on alternatives to Photobucket? I've used them for years to stash images for free that get picked up in this forum for my avatar and signature--not to mention my Wiki contributions on sacred geometry, where seeing the images is crucial--but suddenly they have a policy of "no third party hosting" without ponying up bucks to upgrade one's account, which I'm not at all interested in doing.

Suggestions are welcome!

I use the media allowance of my Wordpress blog. 3 GB, free, safe from arbitrary takedown, and if I ever run out, I can attach another blog to the same account. Can't create albums, though.
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Tags: