Re: Hello, all! by PerditaPickle
[Yesterday at 05:16:11 pm]

Hello, all! by pvtSMR
[Yesterday at 05:02:24 pm]

Re: new & uncertain! by sevensons
[Yesterday at 02:07:26 am]

Re: new & uncertain! by anubisa
[Yesterday at 12:50:46 am]

Author Topic: So, does anyone know Perkunas?  (Read 1540 times)

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; CoX; Etc.
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, she, they
So, does anyone know Perkunas?
« on: August 21, 2013, 09:35:43 am »
So, way back when, I was looking into Slavic paganism because of ancestral ties, and I got absolutely nothing solid from any of the gods.

After some recent Stuff I've been going through, though, I wound up with a bit of a frisson involving Perkunas - and I just recently learned that I have Baltic-region heritage, though the relevant ancestor considered himself Polish.  (National boundaries: complicated!)

This is distinctly a Perkunas nudge, not a Perun one, though they obviously have strong parallels.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Dwarvenpunk
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
So, does anyone know Perkunas?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 09:53:40 am »
Quote from: Darkhawk;119530
This is distinctly a Perkunas nudge, not a Perun one, though they obviously have strong parallels.

Funny how that works, isn't it?

I can't say that I know him well, but I've reached out a bit here and there. What are you getting?
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; CoX; Etc.
Re: So, does anyone know Perkunas?
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 10:14:49 am »
Quote from: Jack;119532
I can't say that I know him well, but I've reached out a bit here and there. What are you getting?

Uh.  Deep green, height/tallness, strength, booming thunder with rain, and this fascinating "if the chips had fallen out a bit differently when the spans of consequences cascaded out from the past, you might have been here rather than with your desert stormgod".

He started showing up around the edges of my dealing with Livonian werewolf folklore, in the Department Of Taking An Interest In That Shit.

The Trousers of Time are complicated, man.
we rise and fall

savveir

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 10:23:47 am »
Quote from: Darkhawk;119538
Uh.  Deep green, height/tallness, strength, booming thunder with rain, and this fascinating "if the chips had fallen out a bit differently when the spans of consequences cascaded out from the past, you might have been here rather than with your desert stormgod".

He started showing up around the edges of my dealing with Livonian werewolf folklore, in the Department Of Taking An Interest In That Shit.

The Trousers of Time are complicated, man.

That description is similar to what I get about either Perun or Perkunas. I've not poked at it enough to get more than that though.
"I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it."
-Lewis Carroll

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 12:59:30 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;119538

It does strike me that the Livonian werewolf lore has obvious connections to the stealing-back-the-cattle-Velnias-has-stolen mythologies, now that I put it explicitly.
we rise and fall

catja6

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 05:09:15 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;119561
It does strike me that the Livonian werewolf lore has obvious connections to the stealing-back-the-cattle-Velnias-has-stolen mythologies, now that I put it explicitly.

I was literally just reading an article on Thies and his werewolf crew not two hours ago, before I got on TC. Most of the work on him links his stuff to shamanism/"shamanism", and/or critiques those linkages, but I can't remember if anyone links it to the Velnias story--like you said, the link SHOULD be there!

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 05:13:44 pm »
Quote from: catja6;119583
I was literally just reading an article on Thies and his werewolf crew not two hours ago, before I got on TC. Most of the work on him links his stuff to shamanism/"shamanism", and/or critiques those linkages, but I can't remember if anyone links it to the Velnias story--like you said, the link SHOULD be there!

Ooh, article?  (Relevant To My Interests.)  I've only got Ginzberg and the CR lycanthropic spirituality guy's blog.
we rise and fall

catja6

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 11:21:40 am »
Quote from: Darkhawk;119585
Ooh, article?  (Relevant To My Interests.)  I've only got Ginzberg and the CR lycanthropic spirituality guy's blog.

It's Willem de Blecourt's article "A Journey to Hell: Reconsidering the Livonian 'Werewolf'" (Magic, Ritual, and Witchcraft 2:1 (2007), 46-67); I have it in PDF, and can send you a copy!

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 11:36:28 am »
Quote from: catja6;119672
It's Willem de Blecourt's article "A Journey to Hell: Reconsidering the Livonian 'Werewolf'" (Magic, Ritual, and Witchcraft 2:1 (2007), 46-67); I have it in PDF, and can send you a copy!

Ooh.  Sent PM.
we rise and fall

Tags: