collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: What drew you to Heathenry?  (Read 1754 times)

DancesWithHorses

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
What drew you to Heathenry?
« on: July 09, 2012, 03:58:31 pm »
What pulled you to Heathenry?  Orginally, I was looking at Celtic pagan resources as I wanted to sort of follow my heritage.  I had heard of Asatru and Germanic neopaganism but sort of ran the other direction :( I'm Swiss and let's just say it was pounded in my head that we were like day and night compared to the Germans. All I had ever heard of when it came to heathenry was the bad side, the dark stuff.  So I turned to Celtic.

It didn't click, nothing made sense to me, what I read gave the same feeling as Christian literature does as in "nice story."  I joined TC and asked a question recently and someone said the God I had been talking to could be Wodan/Odin. Off to research I went.  And it was like coming home. I knew those stories, I had heard them dozens of times (with different names). It wasn't that "nice story" feeling I get with other research, it was more of "this is me!" Did this happen to anyone else?

Of course, I'm still a bit jumpy about the bad side of heathenry that exists (WWII and related things). I also learned the hard way early on that in my area, I should never ever share that I've almost completely left the Christian faith (I'm finding it hard to escape, its all around me).  I've been venturing on the pagan path for well over 2 years now (somewhere close to 3 or 4). The only time I ever shared some thoughts, I basically had the Bible thrown at me (figuratively) by the person I thought was my best friend.  Are there solitary Heathens out there? I do feel a bit better that nobody close to me would judge me for being "obsessed" with folklore. :)
Jinx or Jinxy :)
Add a dash of folklore, a few centuries of farmer\'s blood and mix well.
[/B]

Meritmut

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: What drew you to Heathenry?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 02:19:17 pm »
Quote from: DancesWithHorses;63450
What pulled you to Heathenry?  Orginally, I was looking at Celtic pagan resources as I wanted to sort of follow my heritage.  I had heard of Asatru and Germanic neopaganism but sort of ran the other direction :(

I joined TC and asked a question recently and someone said the God I had been talking to could be Wodan/Odin. Off to research I went.  And it was like coming home.

Did this happen to anyone else?

Of course, I'm still a bit jumpy about the bad side of heathenry that exists (WWII and related things).

Are there solitary Heathens out there? I do feel a bit better that nobody close to me would judge me for being "obsessed" with folklore. :)

I had a similar experience as you did. When I first started practicing polytheism nine years ago I first focused on Greek mythology as that was the major mythology I was exposed to. Overtime however I began to question the morality and personality of the Theoi in the myths (not to insult any Hellenics, just my personal views). So I began to look into different paths, Shenism, Kemeticism and Celtic polytheism. But in the end none of them clicked, and finally I went back to Heathenry. I had been studying it for two years but hadn't wanted to practice it because of the racist undertones I had encountered in the American Asatru community that I was in contact with over the internet.

But in the end I felt drawn back to Heathenry and Frigg in particular. I am a solitary practitioner as are most of the Heathens I have met and for me that's what works best. I don't follow a lot of the American Asatru practices, such as a sumble, or the day of remembrances or the common held belief your body dwells in the grave mound after death and that's it view of the Afterlife.

My path is built on Historical information and my own connections to the Gods, especially Frigg, Odin and Thor. I have found the Cauldron forum community to be very open minded and helpful. But other than this group I stay away from Kindreds and other online communities.

DancesWithHorses

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 02:57:53 pm »
Quote from: Meritmut;63570
I had a similar experience as you did. When I first started practicing polytheism nine years ago I first focused on Greek mythology as that was the major mythology I was exposed to. Overtime however I began to question the morality and personality of the Theoi in the myths (not to insult any Hellenics, just my personal views). So I began to look into different paths, Shenism, Kemeticism and Celtic polytheism. But in the end none of them clicked, and finally I went back to Heathenry. I had been studying it for two years but hadn't wanted to practice it because of the racist undertones I had encountered in the American Asatru community that I was in contact with over the internet.

But in the end I felt drawn back to Heathenry and Frigg in particular. I am a solitary practitioner as are most of the Heathens I have met and for me that's what works best. I don't follow a lot of the American Asatru practices, such as a sumble, or the day of remembrances or the common held belief your body dwells in the grave mound after death and that's it view of the Afterlife.

My path is built on Historical information and my own connections to the Gods, especially Frigg, Odin and Thor. I have found the Cauldron forum community to be very open minded and helpful. But other than this group I stay away from Kindreds and other online communities.

Thank you for sharing! I feel so relieved to know I'm not the only one. The part that pulled me in is the very strong tie to agriculture. No matter what I do, farming pulls me back in. I'm drawn to Odin and Frigg as well.  Not so much Thor, don't know why, I just don't, probably because he reminds me of someone in my life that least to say interesting.

I do believe in reincarnation through family lines, a very strong belief as most of my family believes that if a child is born, they will show characteristics of an ancestor. Mine has been placed about 4 generations back on my mother's side.  Really it's crazy how much of the beliefs that float around in heathenism appear in alive and well in my family. I think my mother says something about Heinselmanndli at least once a week.

I read up on the various celebrations, didn't agree with many of them, the one that has the charming of the plow in February (I think) made no sense to me... because in my world, the plows hit the ground in early November.  Various other little things like that.  And some other ones really entertained me. Like finding out that Perchta/Frigg is honoured on January 6th which was always called "3 Kings Day" when I was growing up. And Freyfaxi on August 1st... National Day. Now I can stop feeling guilty for wanting to ride on that day instead of listening to a church sermon. Apparently Freyfaxi involves horses.  ** I mean no offense to anyone, these are my observations.
[/B]

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 05:24:41 pm »
DancesWithHorses

This is for Meritmut as well. If you guys have family and friends then in a sense you're not solitary. Heathenry is about good relationships between the gods, our ancestors and our families. Joining a kindred, sumbling ...those are just expression of that core practice in a group. But you have groups other areas of your life where you practice the same concepts. Everyday that you stand by your word to others, interact honorably with others, then you're heathen with others.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

DancesWithHorses

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 08:52:46 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;63591
This is for Meritmut as well. If you guys have family and friends then in a sense you're not solitary. Heathenry is about good relationships between the gods, our ancestors and our families. Joining a kindred, sumbling ...those are just expression of that core practice in a group. But you have groups other areas of your life where you practice the same concepts. Everyday that you stand by your word to others, interact honorably with others, then you're heathen with others.

Thanks. I did sort of wonder. I mean Mom just muttered some expletives at the Kobold again... seems the cheese in the mouse traps keeps disappearing without any mice appearing.  I sort of like that about home, the fae are just part of life.

I know there are different opinions out there on them but I really do like the Nine Noble Virtues and do my best to apply those in all parts of my life.
[/B]

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • Religion: Norse/Germanic Polytheists
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 09:02:37 pm »
What pulled you to Heathenry?

I was starting to research Germanic goddesses due to that being my family background and found Frau Holda. I felt like I found someone I had known for years. I have developed my relationship with the other gods/goddesses from there.

DancesWithHorses

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 09:16:50 pm »
Quote from: Ula;63611
I was starting to research Germanic goddesses due to that being my family background and found Frau Holda. I felt like I found someone I had known for years. I have developed my relationship with the other gods/goddesses from there.

Neat! I found her too, the Swiss version, Perchta.  Comparing her lore to Norse, you get a goddess that has elements of Frigg, Freya and Hel.
[/B]

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 09:26:25 pm »
Quote from: DancesWithHorses;63610
Thanks. I did sort of wonder. I mean Mom just muttered some expletives at the Kobold again... seems the cheese in the mouse traps keeps disappearing without any mice appearing.  I sort of like that about home, the fae are just part of life.

I know there are different opinions out there on them but I really do like the Nine Noble Virtues and do my best to apply those in all parts of my life.

I think solitary applies more to witchcraft and raising energy on one's own and not spell-casting or initiating in a group setting.

To be a solitary heathen makes it sound like you only practice heathenry alone/separate instead of applying your folk beliefs and practices to all areas and interactions in life.

(Redundant post?)
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

DancesWithHorses

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 09:34:19 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;63614
I think solitary applies more to witchcraft and raising energy on one's own and not spell-casting or initiating in a group setting.

To be a solitary heathen makes it sound like you only practice heathenry alone/separate instead of applying your folk beliefs and practices to all areas and interactions in life.

(Redundant post?)

Huge sigh of relief! Like anyone else, when I first started looking at pagan paths, I strolled into Wiccan-related topics, and ran right back out. I may believe witches exist but that's as close as I'll get. Thanks!
[/B]

FollowerofOdin

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 11:21:29 pm »
What pulled you to Heathenry?  Orginally, I was looking at Celtic pagan resources as I wanted to sort of follow my heritage.  I had heard of Asatru and Germanic neopaganism but sort of ran the other direction :( I'm Swiss and let's just say it was pounded in my head that we were like day and night compared to the Germans. All I had ever heard of when it came to heathenry was the bad side, the dark stuff.  So I turned to Celtic.

It didn't click, nothing made sense to me, what I read gave the same feeling as Christian literature does as in "nice story."  I joined TC and asked a question recently and someone said the God I had been talking to could be Wodan/Odin. Off to research I went.  And it was like coming home. I knew those stories, I had heard them dozens of times (with different names). It wasn't that "nice story" feeling I get with other research, it was more of "this is me!" Did this happen to anyone else?

Of course, I'm still a bit jumpy about the bad side of heathenry that exists (WWII and related things). I also learned the hard way early on that in my area, I should never ever share that I've almost completely left the Christian faith (I'm finding it hard to escape, its all around me).  I've been venturing on the pagan path for well over 2 years now (somewhere close to 3 or 4). The only time I ever shared some thoughts, I basically had the Bible thrown at me (figuratively) by the person I thought was my best friend.  Are there solitary Heathens out there? I do feel a bit better that nobody close to me would judge me for being "obsessed" with folklore. :)

My Germanic heritage drew me to Heathery. I was Wiccan for seventeen years and I stopped connecting to that path. I looked around for another path, one that would make me feel whole, and I found this one. It took my years to figure out that Odin was calling out to me and so now I'm here, at last. I really feel connected and I also like connecting to the gods of my ancestors. I like the virtues that are in Heathenism and I like the stories as well.

Don't worry, no one around here is going to think your strange.

ALiteraryLady

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 12:11:33 am »
Quote from: Meritmut;63570

If you don't mind me asking, was there any sort of specific connection or experience that you had with Frigg that made you more open to learning more about her? I keep having these odd little moments that seem like she (or someone like her) is trying to get my attention. Anything at all and I would appreciate it. Thanks

Tags: