collapse
2019 Donation Drive

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise at least $650 (same as last year) to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 16 Sept 2019: $660 donated. $10 more our minimum goal! Let's beat last year's total of $99 more than the minimum!

Note: This total is updated manually, usually once a day

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: What are your takes on using the Galdrstaves in non-traditional material?  (Read 1632 times)

Elding

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
I simply figured this would be a fun thing to talk about, so hey. What are your takes on using the Icelandic Galdrstaves, but using only their design without actually taking into the process the traditional materials? For example, I have seen a lot of heathen people wear the Helm of Awe as a necklace, or tattoo the Compass somewhere on their body, but the actual sources specifically mention that they all have individual components needed to actually activate - the Helm of Awe should be carved into metal and worn on the users forehead, while the Compass should be carved in a specific type of Icelandic jet stone and must be activated with the wearers blood. Plenty of Galdrstaves can also be found on things sold on Viking or medieval markets, where their purpose appears to be decoration, or where the requirements for activating them are at least not mentioned to the customer (although I suspect not many Compass necklaces would be sold if the buyer knew they'd have to draw their own blood to use it, lol).

Do you personally use the Staves without their traditional components? How did it work out for you, magically? And have you tried to compare the traditional and non-traditional materials to see if there is any difference in how you perceive its effectiveness?
Out in the woods, and I\'m not alone, but the sun\'s quickly going down!
There! In the trees! Something stalking me! Stop walking around!
\'K, just be cool, don\'t be such a fool! There is nothing at all to fear...
... other than the trees and the night and a beam of light, and the breathing in my ear...
[/I]

Dam

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Quote from: Elding;197476
I simply figured this would be a fun thing to talk about, so hey. What are your takes on using the Icelandic Galdrstaves, but using only their design without actually taking into the process the traditional materials? For example, I have seen a lot of heathen people wear the Helm of Awe as a necklace, or tattoo the Compass somewhere on their body, but the actual sources specifically mention that they all have individual components needed to actually activate - the Helm of Awe should be carved into metal and worn on the users forehead, while the Compass should be carved in a specific type of Icelandic jet stone and must be activated with the wearers blood. Plenty of Galdrstaves can also be found on things sold on Viking or medieval markets, where their purpose appears to be decoration, or where the requirements for activating them are at least not mentioned to the customer (although I suspect not many Compass necklaces would be sold if the buyer knew they'd have to draw their own blood to use it, lol).

Do you personally use the Staves without their traditional components? How did it work out for you, magically? And have you tried to compare the traditional and non-traditional materials to see if there is any difference in how you perceive its effectiveness?

I will preface this saying I use a bit of UPG in my practic. So take everything with salt.

This is pretty interesting. Staves are tools, and so I like ti compare them to tools. Aegisjalmur historically being carved on the inside of a helmet could be compared to a metal screwdriver. They are functional tools.

A bamboo screwdriver wouldnt be as useful in a situation that needs a metal one. But it can be a point of focus. For example, some people carve wooden Mjolnir motifs to use in altars. In actuality a wooden representation of Mjolnir wouldnt be as useful as the real thing, but it gives you something to focus on. A set of properties that can help with a state of mind. So I have used with staves in the past with that mindset. When travelling I don Vegvisir (the compas) upon myself because focussing on what it represents reassures me and makes me more content even if it isnt functioning in its actusl context.

So even though I have worked with them in a context that shouldnt work I believe there is someyhing to be gained from them. It is like focussing on a calm beach when meditating. It is more getting myself into a mindset than invoking runic magic.

That is how I see it, anyway.

Tags: