Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 08:57:21 am]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Author Topic: Process of Becoming a Godhi  (Read 7758 times)

GaryG

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Process of Becoming a Godhi
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2016, 06:09:18 pm »
Quote from: bobthesane;192207
Hehe, pimpin' yourself Gary?

For them's what don't know, Gary here could be considered an academic 'heavy' in heathen circles. You would be well advised to at least read what he has to offer.

If I pimp myself it's not trafficking...

And I am by no means a heavy, at least not until I get my folklorists degree...

;-)

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2016, 12:49:29 am »
Quote from: GaryG;192290
If I pimp myself it's not trafficking...

And I am by no means a heavy, at least not until I get my folklorists degree...

;-)

I love the illustrations you describe of men who are deeply devoted to their gods!

Given the comparative lack of religious duties recorded among the godar, and the wealth of community obligations, what do you think the proper role of a leader in a Real Heathen community is? Should it require broader community work like running for local office, or should the focus be on owning land and resources to be generous in supporting one's thingmen/community members?
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Doc

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2016, 11:38:08 am »
Quote from: Jack;192310
I love the illustrations you describe of men who are deeply devoted to their gods!

Given the comparative lack of religious duties recorded among the godar, and the wealth of community obligations, what do you think the proper role of a leader in a Real Heathen community is? Should it require broader community work like running for local office, or should the focus be on owning land and resources to be generous in supporting one's thingmen/community members?

Personally I think running for office is not as good as owning land and being generous with resources

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GaryG

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2016, 11:49:29 am »

Given the comparative lack of religious duties recorded among the godar, and the wealth of community obligations, what do you think the proper role of a leader in a Real Heathen community is?

The proper role regarding what exactly?

In the context of what I wrote about his function is to the conduit between the Holy Powers and the gathered folk, religion is a communal affair and by extension ritual is as well. It is the Priests function to act as that conduit, the go between, and give sacrifice/offerings on behalf of his group or even larger community, to the gods.

For our group and those invited guests that come to our home for the two sacrifices we do a year (Midsummer and Yule), it is my function as priest to do exactly that. It is also my job when it is just our group that makes offerings. It is my responsibility to be the luck bringer as well, and it is the women of our group that act as the luck keepers.

I have shied away from calling myself a goði because what I am doing is more in line with what a priest would have performed.

Should it require broader community work like running for local office, or should the focus be on owning land and resources to be generous in supporting one's thingmen/community members?

The role of goði today as I have seen it, both in person and in various social media forms, is in a manner akin to a Christian priest, the "role" is looked as more of "lorekeeper" and "confidant."

I do not recall if I put in the passage where the priest was also responsible for that very thing, the passing down of traditions as well as the "lore."

I have seen new people, like "I been heathen an hour and a half", ask how they can become a goði and they do so without knowing what it actually entailed from a historical POV but also in a modern one and they seem to think by "becoming one" it will give them some stature and the majority of those wanting to be one do not even have a group or larger community to be one for.

The role today would be more like the goði's dual role as Chieftain when not presiding over any religious function.

GaryG

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2016, 11:56:12 am »

I also left a whole lot out of the paper as I was concerned about page length, as it is it is way more than i originally anticipated.

Tags: